• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Jury awards $61 million to two FedEx drivers in harassment suit

70s_guy

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Go to work for a large American company. Act and talk funny and guess what, someone is bound to take notice and maybe make fun of you. Ahhhh! But that is the whole idea since your friend the lawyer is right there ready to make your case. Not enough employee diversity and tolerance training. And that will cost you $61 dollars. Excuse me I mean $61 million dollars. America...land of the lawyers. ...David

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/06/03/state/n160642D64.DTL

Re: ridiculous American legal award #9,999,999

Moderator's Warning:
Thread title has been changed. Per the guidelines and rules for posting in this forum...

2. The title of every post must be identical to the title of the news story headline. This is important as it helps to avoid multiple topics about an issue, while starting discussions out on a more neutral basis.

Re: ridiculous American legal award #9,999,999

Harassment is wrong and should not be tolerated but I think 61 million dollar in damages for something like this is a bit much. They were not damaged that much by it. You don't deserve that kind of money for something like this IMO. These types of ruling lead to frivolous lawsuits.

70s_guy said:
Go to work for a large American company. Act and talk funny and guess what, someone is bound to take notice and maybe make fun of you. Ahhhh! But that is the whole idea since your friend the lawyer is right there ready to make your case. Not enough employee diversity and tolerance training. And that will cost you $61 dollars. Excuse me I mean $61 million dollars. America...land of the lawyers. ...David

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/06/03/state/n160642D64.DTL
Act and talk funny? No where in your article does it say that. Perhaps you could elaborate as to what you mean by that.
In fact it seems legal venues were not the first place they expressed thier concerns:
The men complained to senior managers but the company ignored their claims, Dolan said
Thus, when there is such racial intollerance, serves the company right to have ignored such calls as well as the manager for acting like it's still segregation or earlier.

THough 61million is way overkill.

How can you trust what a lawyer that sues a large deep pockets company that obviously has strong workplace anti-discriminatory policies for $61 million dollars? One can be sure all large companies like that have such policies because their legal team would demand it. Despite what companies demand, individuals are employed by companies and some are bound to be either hostile to those they do not like and yes some will probably even be racists. And not every management team is going to believe things reported by their employees when there is a dispute over something that was mumbled. Normally if one is racially harrassed any management people in large companies take serious notice because of legal threats. So this whole suit smells like a setup especially since it is about an insanely large amount of money for someone claiming they said something that is apparently in dispute. We'll just have to wait for the details to trickle out. Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me. But $61 million is cetainly going to make the lawyer feel better.

Back
Top Bottom