• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Juicing vegetables

lizzie

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I recently bought a juicer for vegetables, because I couldn't find cabbage juice in any health food store within driving distance from where I live. I had been having some stomach issues lately, and cabbage juice has a great reputation for relieving digestive issues which are based on stomach upset, and in some clinical trials, has actually been known to cure stomach ulcers. The one I bought is a slow speed juicer, which is supposed to be better for preserving the enzymes in juice, and it seems to be a good one: easy to use, easy to clean, and works pretty quickly. In addition to juicing cabbage, I've also used it for broccoli (also good for the stomach). Surprisingly, cabbage juice is good imo, although I don't like to eat cabbage as a rule. Some people report that the juice is bitter, but my taste buds interpret it as sweet, fortunately. :lol: Anyway, if you're in the market for one, I'm really happy with the Omega juicer.

I recently bought a juicer for vegetables, because I couldn't find cabbage juice in any health food store within driving distance from where I live. I had been having some stomach issues lately, and cabbage juice has a great reputation for relieving digestive issues which are based on stomach upset, and in some clinical trials, has actually been known to cure stomach ulcers. The one I bought is a slow speed juicer, which is supposed to be better for preserving the enzymes in juice, and it seems to be a good one: easy to use, easy to clean, and works pretty quickly. In addition to juicing cabbage, I've also used it for broccoli (also good for the stomach). Surprisingly, cabbage juice is good imo, although I don't like to eat cabbage as a rule. Some people report that the juice is bitter, but my taste buds interpret it as sweet, fortunately. :lol: Anyway, if you're in the market for one, I'm really happy with the Omega juicer.

I don't know anything about juicers, but I grow my own oregano, and chew the leaves with my stomach acts up. It's a bit bitter, but I believe it does help.

The herb/natural sites also say peppermint and ginger help.

I'm sorry Liz, but the idea of drinking cabbage juice, I think I'll pass. :lol:

I like to remind women I sleep with that cranberry juice helps fight urinary tract infections.

I don't know anything about juicers, but I grow my own oregano, and chew the leaves with my stomach acts up. It's a bit bitter, but I believe it does help.

The herb/natural sites also say peppermint and ginger help.

I'm sorry Liz, but the idea of drinking cabbage juice, I think I'll pass. :lol:

:lol:
Seriously, it's good.
I only drink a couple of ounces 2 or 3 times a day.

I like to remind women I sleep with that cranberry juice helps fight urinary tract infections.

Well, fortunately, I didn't need to sleep with you to be aware of that fine factoid. :lol:

I like sprite with a splash of cranberry for the taste, but when I order it, I almost always get a comment like "What are you a woman with an infection now?" from one of my friends.

Now to post seriously...I actually looked into this phenomenon once. I saw a 30 minute infomercial where Montel Williams was hocking this super-blender that could function as a juicer (among other things). I did a consumer report search on it, and I found that about 90% of the comments were negative, mostly about how it breaks pretty quickly.

Since then I've seen infomercials about something called the Ninja. If it has a good review overall, I may get it. I could try and spearhead some weight loss if I could juice at home.

My late husband suffered from duodenal ulcers for years. His remedy? He'd drink half & half or cream right out of the carton. Only after a Reader's Digest article did I find that was the exact wrong thing to do. He stopped doing that -- he'd drink it "for maintenance" -- ha! And he stopped having ulcer pain and excess acid.

This was before they knew that ulcers are generally caused by a bacterial infection. Who knew? (Your post reminded me of that.)

I always like to read about successful gadgets. There are way too many of them that are a waste of money. Good on you!

Now to post seriously...I actually looked into this phenomenon once. I saw a 30 minute infomercial where Montel Williams was hocking this super-blender that could function as a juicer (among other things). I did a consumer report search on it, and I found that about 90% of the comments were negative, mostly about how it breaks pretty quickly.

Since then I've seen infomercials about something called the Ninja. If it has a good review overall, I may get it. I could try and spearhead some weight loss if I could juice at home.

I have a Ninja, and it's great for chopping, grating, and blending. What I wanted was a juicer that would separate the juice from the pulp. I have an old early 70's juicer that my husband had, that weighs about 50 freaking pounds, from his old commune days, but it's cumbersome and hard to clean. I'll keep that one as a back-up. :lol:

I wanted to like your post lizzie, but I just couldn't get past the broccoli and the cabbage juice. Heck, why not blend up some old sweatsocks while yer at it. :mrgreen:

If you have a serious stomach problem people - don't go looking for a juicer, get yourself to a doctor.

I have a Ninja, and it's great for chopping, grating, and blending. What I wanted was a juicer that would separate the juice from the pulp. I have an old early 70's juicer that my husband had, that weighs about 50 freaking pounds, from his old commune days, but it's cumbersome and hard to clean. I'll keep that one as a back-up. :lol:

I checked a few consumer reports and the pulp-y juice was the biggest complaint. Instead of making just straight juice, what I thought about doing is adding a fraction of iced tea and kinda making a fruity tea to take with me. Then the Snapple company can stop robbing me blind.

My late husband suffered from duodenal ulcers for years. His remedy? He'd drink half & half or cream right out of the carton. Only after a Reader's Digest article did I find that was the exact wrong thing to do. He stopped doing that -- he'd drink it "for maintenance" -- ha! And he stopped having ulcer pain and excess acid.

This was before they knew that ulcers are generally caused by a bacterial infection. Who knew? (Your post reminded me of that.)

I always like to read about successful gadgets. There are way too many of them that are a waste of money. Good on you!

Yeah, the problem is that I was h pylori positive a few months ago, and when I tried the antibiotic regimen to eradicate it, I had an adverse reaction to one of the antibiotics, and it made me crazy- seriously. I didn't finish the course of treatment, and talked to my doc about alternatives, which she is highly supportive of. I took a two week course of mastic gum, then started the cabbage juice (not as a cure, but to try and heal any gastric inflammation that may be lurking). I don't want to take PPI's (Prilosec and similar drugs) because I don't want to suppress my natural stomach acid secretion, as that can lead to separate problems as well.

Yeah, the problem is that I was h pylori positive a few months ago, and when I tried the antibiotic regimen to eradicate it, I had an adverse reaction to one of the antibiotics, and it made me crazy- seriously. I didn't finish the course of treatment, and talked to my doc about alternatives, which she is highly supportive of. I took a two week course of mastic gum, then started the cabbage juice (not as a cure, but to try and heal any gastric inflammation that may be lurking). I don't want to take PPI's (Prilosec and similar drugs) because I don't want to suppress my natural stomach acid secretion, as that can lead to separate problems as well.

Well, excuse me for offering my own personal remedy as I know damned well everyone is different. But occasionally, I get the worst attack of acid indigestion on the face of the earth. When it starts, I'd like to just cry because I know where it's going. (Haven't had one of those in months, so it's not chronic.)

Mylanta was/is my friend. Can't stand the taste, but, man, that stuff works.

As to your antibiotic reaction causing craziness, I guess that accounts for you parading naked around here a few months ago. ;)

Looks like a blender but with a built in strainer/filter (aided by centrifugal force) instead of the traditional pitcher top. If it works and it is easy to clean then I guess it is worth adding to your kitchen gadget collection. ;)

Well, excuse me for offering my own personal remedy as I know damned well everyone is different. But occasionally, I get the worst attack of acid indigestion on the face of the earth. When it starts, I'd like to just cry because I know where it's going. (Haven't had one of those in months, so it's not chronic.)

Mylanta was/is my friend. Can't stand the taste, but, man, that stuff works.

As to your antibiotic reaction causing craziness, I guess that accounts for you parading naked around here a few months ago. ;)

I'm so sorry Maggie- I didn't mean to come across as demeaning or attacking in any way.:3oops:

I'm so sorry Maggie- I didn't mean to come across as demeaning or attacking in any way.:3oops:

Are you kidding??? I never thought that!!!!! (I guess it was the "Well, exkuuuuuze me!" Hahahaha!! Second time I've typed something stupid. :rofl

I recently bought a juicer for vegetables, because I couldn't find cabbage juice in any health food store within driving distance from where I live. I had been having some stomach issues lately, and cabbage juice has a great reputation for relieving digestive issues which are based on stomach upset, and in some clinical trials, has actually been known to cure stomach ulcers. The one I bought is a slow speed juicer, which is supposed to be better for preserving the enzymes in juice, and it seems to be a good one: easy to use, easy to clean, and works pretty quickly. In addition to juicing cabbage, I've also used it for broccoli (also good for the stomach). Surprisingly, cabbage juice is good imo, although I don't like to eat cabbage as a rule. Some people report that the juice is bitter, but my taste buds interpret it as sweet, fortunately. :lol: Anyway, if you're in the market for one, I'm really happy with the Omega juicer. http://s1211.photobucket.com/user/lizzylouandmetoo/media/misc/omegajuicer_zpsf9485c25.jpg.html

Out of curiosity, if you juice your cabbage and broccoli does that make the farting better or worse?

Are you kidding??? I never thought that!!!!! (I guess it was the "Well, exkuuuuuze me!" Hahahaha!! Second time I've typed something stupid. :rofl

Whew- I thought I had (once again) stuck my foot in my mouth. :lol:

I was having some bouts of "heart burn" and indigestion almost every night, no matter what I ate for dinner, which was one of the reasons I took on this veggie juice experiment in the first place. So far, I'm happy to say, that has subsided.

Out of curiosity, if you juice your cabbage and broccoli does that make the farting better or worse?

I was trying to be polite and not mention that. :lol:

I'd imagine it would be brutal.

Duodenal and other digestive ulcers are caused by excess acid that lingers too long and eats away at the lining, causing sores. The fact that the acid mixed with the tissue it burns creates a breeding ground for certain bacteria does not accurately implicate the bacteria as the cause of the ulcer, as these bacteria consuming the resultant mix merely suffer guilt by association.

As to juicing, an alternative is Juice Plus, the real deal of fruits and vegetables in capsules. It's cheaper, faster, easier, and nutritious.

You and Luther apparently need to increase your pre- and probiotic intake. :mrgreen:

Indeed. I eat probably 40 grams of fiber a day and I'm not farting all the time (though the wife might disagree with my definition of all the time).

Back
Top Bottom