• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge Won't Block Florida Voter Rolls Clean-Up

cpwill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Only Eric Holders' DoJ would argue that removing felons from the voter rolls is a violation of their civil rights :roll:

...In oral arguments this morning, federal judge Robert Hinkle (a Clinton appointee) denied the Justice Department’s request for a temporary restraining order to stop the state’s removal program. It’s another stinging loss for Eric Holder’s Justice Department...

Judge Hinkle apparently agreed, rejecting the absurd claim by the Justice Department’s lawyer, John Bert Russ, that the non-citizen purge violates federal law. Hinkle said that “leaving an ineligible voter on the list is not a solution. People need to know we are running an honest election.” Permitting known non-citizens to vote would result in “irreparable harm” to eligible voters...

That last is interesting. Look for a few more movements to build off of that.

It's amazing how Democrats keep putting dead people on the voter rolls.

Only Eric Holders' DoJ would argue that removing felons from the voter rolls is a violation of their civil rights :roll:

i wont argue removing felons and illegal immigrants from the rolls is bad.

i do however have a problem with florida using outdated lists to handle who is what,as it leads to problems with legal immigrants vs legal non citizens.on felons though,the system wouldnt change,so i see no problem solong as its verified.

All adult citizens should be allowed to vote. Felons should be allowed to vote. They are subject to the state and its laws, they should have a say.

The problem isn't felons, the problem is that this blocks legal voters from voting more than it does people who shouldn't be voting.

It looks likw the judge is applying common sense.

What this judge and the GOP folk are really about.

Paul Weyrich, father of the right-wing movement and co-founder of the Heritage Foundation, Moral Majority.

And your party has been working to do this ever since by any means necessary.

All adult citizens should be allowed to vote. Felons should be allowed to vote. They are subject to the state and its laws, they should have a say.

it is federal law that if you commit a felony, you lose the right to vote. if they want to vote so bad, i guess they should not get convicted of a felony.

it is federal law that if you commit a felony, you lose the right to vote. if they want to vote so bad, i guess they should not get convicted of a felony.

That type of argument can be extended to nearly any situation. I find it egregious to make someone subject to state power without any representation in governance, considering our incarceration rate and the breadth of felony statutes.

Why should felons continue to have their rights revoked even after they have paid their debt to society?

If you Republicans are so concerned about voter fraud, find a fair, reliable way to remove ineligible voters from the rolls, and start on your, er, urgent project on January 1st.

But don't frantically shorten early voting periods in states you control, and arbitrarily cut people from voting the Summer and Autumn before a Presidential election.

A felony is a serious crime, it isn't something that just happens which is why the consequences are severe, and part of that is to lose the right to vote and bare arms. The person made a choice to do whatever is was that got him/her in trouble and is responsible for their actions. I believe the person has a right to try to make amends and be given the chance to change their life for the better, but under the law, they will lose certain rights. They also lose the right to find employment in certain fields, which shows it is not something accepted in society.

As long as they have done their time and are no longer commiting crimes they shoud be allowed to vote. This is nothing but cruel and unusual punishment as well as double jepordy

Back
Top Bottom