• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Judge upholds Oregon Gay Marriage ban

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1282101


SALEM, Ore. Nov 4, 2005 — A judge on Friday upheld a gay marriage ban adopted by Oregon voters last year, rejecting claims that the amendment made too many changes at once and interfered with local government.


In his ruling, Marion County Circuit Judge Joseph Guimond backed supporters of the law who said the measure only clarified marriage law in a single, simple sentence.

The Oregon amendment, passed overwhelmingly in November 2004 as Measure 36, reads: "It is the policy of Oregon, and its political subdivisions, that only a marriage between one man and one woman shall be valid or legally recognized as a marriage."
 

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,319
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Re: Judge upholds Oregon Gya Marriage ban

Plessy v Ferguson is alive and well, even in a libertarian-leaning state like Oregon.

Disgusting.
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Re: Judge upholds Oregon Gya Marriage ban

Kandahar said:
Plessy v Ferguson is alive and well, even in a libertarian-leaning state like Oregon.

Disgusting.
I don't know about libertarian but it is a very liberal state but they were smart enough to pass a consitutional amendment stating that marriage is defined as a union between a man and a woman......
 
H

hipsterdufus

Re: Judge upholds Oregon Gya Marriage ban

Navy Pride said:
I don't know about libertarian but it is a very liberal state but they were smart enough to pass a consitutional amendment stating that marriage is defined as a union between a man and a woman......
Discrimination is alive and well in the US.
 

Kelzie

The Almighty
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13,534
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Denver, CO
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Re: Judge upholds Oregon Gya Marriage ban

You know, they wouldn't put women's voting rights up to a vote because it wouldn't pass. Just goes to show how dumb people are.
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Re: Judge upholds Oregon Gya Marriage ban

hipsterdufus said:
Discrimination is alive and well in the US.
What gay discrimination is now is what racial discrimination was when Brown v. Board of Education was decided.

Eventually, gay people will be able to marry. I truly believe that.
 
H

hipsterdufus

Re: Judge upholds Oregon Gya Marriage ban

Kelzie said:
You know, they wouldn't put women's voting rights up to a vote because it wouldn't pass. Just goes to show how dumb people are.
I would add slavery to the list too.
 

Kelzie

The Almighty
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13,534
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Denver, CO
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Re: Judge upholds Oregon Gya Marriage ban

hipsterdufus said:
I would add slavery to the list too.
And equal rights.
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Re: Judge upholds Oregon Gya Marriage ban

Just make sure that any dissent should be directed at THE LAW and not THE JUDGE....

The state judges are sworn to UPHOLD their state's Constitution...If he judged otherwise, he would become the dreaded "activist judge"....

The "amendment" that was before him SHOULD go to the state's legislature, NOT the judiciary...

If the amendment was passed, the judge would equally have to uphold it...
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Re: Judge upholds Oregon Gya Marriage ban

cnredd said:
Just make sure that any dissent should be directed at THE LAW and not THE JUDGE....

The state judges are sworn to UPHOLD their state's Constitution...If he judged otherwise, he would become the dreaded "activist judge"....

The "amendment" that was before him SHOULD go to the state's legislature, NOT the judiciary...

If the amendment was passed, the judge would equally have to uphold it...
So what does being an activist judge mean? If the judge determines the law is unconstitutional? Hmmmm

The New York Times, back in July 2005, provided the % of times each justice voted to strike down a law passed by Congress. Here is the list of justices and the % of their votes:

Thomas:.......65.63%
Kennedy:.......64.06%
Scalia:..........56.25%
Rehnquist:...46.88%
O'Connor:.....46.77%
Souter:.........42.19%
Stevens:.......39.34%
Ginsburg:......39.06%
Breyer:..........28.13%


So which side seems to legislate more from the bench? Bwahahahahhahahah
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Re: Judge upholds Oregon Gya Marriage ban

aps said:
So what does being an activist judge mean? If the judge determines the law is unconstitutional? Hmmmm

The New York Times, back in July 2005, provided the % of times each justice voted to strike down a law passed by Congress. Here is the list of justices and the % of their votes:

Thomas:.......65.63%
Kennedy:.......64.06%
Scalia:..........56.25%
Rehnquist:...46.88%
O'Connor:.....46.77%
Souter:.........42.19%
Stevens:.......39.34%
Ginsburg:......39.06%
Breyer:..........28.13%


So which side seems to legislate more from the bench? Bwahahahahhahahah
My fault...:3oops:

I should have mentioned the difference between the state's SUPREME COURT who's job it is to do that, and not the judges from the lower courts...

In this instance, it states that he was a Marion County Circuit Judge...
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Re: Judge upholds Oregon Gya Marriage ban

cnredd said:
My fault...:3oops:

I should have mentioned the difference between the state's SUPREME COURT who's job it is to do that, and not the judges from the lower courts...

In this instance, it states that he was a Marion County Circuit Judge...
No worries, cnredd. :2wave:
 

Diogenes

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
4,980
Reaction score
3,059
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Kelzie said:
You know, they wouldn't put women's voting rights up to a vote because it wouldn't pass. Just goes to show how dumb people are.
As a matter of fact, womens voting rights did go up for a vote and the constitutional amendment passed -- just like the anti-slavery amendment.

aps said:
So what does being an activist judge mean? If the judge determines the law is unconstitutional? Hmmmm
No, it's when a judge usurps the legislative function and creates new law from the bench (like Roe v. Wade).
 

Kelzie

The Almighty
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13,534
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Denver, CO
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Diogenes said:
As a matter of fact, womens voting rights did go up for a vote and the constitutional amendment passed -- just like the anti-slavery amendment.

No, it's when a judge usurps the legislative function and creates new law from the bench (like Roe v. Wade).
Not to the public it didn't. Which were the ones who voted in this asinine law.
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Kelzie said:
Not to the public it didn't. Which were the ones who voted in this asinine law.
I believe the amendment passed by close to a 60% majority in one of the most liberal states in the union.....

If there is any message to be learned out of this it is the voters in Oregon do not want to change the definition of marriage.......
 

Kelzie

The Almighty
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13,534
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Denver, CO
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
I believe the amendment passed by close to a 60% majority in one of the most liberal states in the union.....

If there is any message to be learned out of this it is the voters in Oregon do not want to change the definition of marriage.......
Same thing with women's voting right. Sometimes people are too ignorant to decide important issues.
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Kelzie said:
Same thing with women's voting right. Sometimes people are too ignorant to decide important issues.

Why is that, because they don't agree with your left wing viewpoint?

Sorry we do these things at the ballot box........
 

Kelzie

The Almighty
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13,534
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Denver, CO
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
Why is that, because they don't agree with your left wing viewpoint?

Sorry we do these things at the ballot box........
You're missing the point. They didn't put women's rights to vote to the ballot box because it wouldn't have passed. Same thing here, except someone was dumb enough to have the people vote on it.

And we don't vote on a lot of important issues. Did you vote on Roe v Wade?
 
H

hipsterdufus

Diogenes said:
As a matter of fact, womens voting rights did go up for a vote and the constitutional amendment passed -- just like the anti-slavery amendment.
That was then. This is now.
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Kelzie said:
You're missing the point. They didn't put women's rights to vote to the ballot box because it wouldn't have passed. Same thing here, except someone was dumb enough to have the people vote on it.

And we don't vote on a lot of important issues. Did you vote on Roe v Wade?
If they did not put a woman's right to vote on the ballot, how do you know it would not have passed?:confused:

I wish they would have a nation wide referendum on Roe V Wade..........The results might be interesting and don't tell me about polls because you know how I feel about them.....
 

KrazyKarl

New member
Joined
Oct 24, 2005
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
Why is that, because they don't agree with your left wing viewpoint?

Sorry we do these things at the ballot box........
Do you really want a society in which the vote of the American people replaces the judicial branch of government's check on the constitutionality of laws? Joe Schmo American knows nothing about his state's Constitution and how it applies to new law. Even if he did, he feels no pressure to apply the Constitution.

Mob rule is no way to run a democracy. Look at Malaysia. 50% of the population consists of ethnic Malays. With such an upper hand, the thin ethnic Malay majority gives themselves affirmative action benefits every year at the voting booth, with no entity to keep their power in check.
 

BWG

DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 29, 2005
Messages
4,373
Reaction score
1,602
Location
South Coast
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Navy Pride said:
If they did not put a woman's right to vote on the ballot, how do you know it would not have passed?:confused:

I wish they would have a nation wide referendum on Roe V Wade..........The results might be interesting and don't tell me about polls because you know how I feel about them.....

If that were to happen, I would have no doubt about the results.

It would still not settle anything, opponents would cry and squawk and keep demanding new referendums.



IF it were to be overturned.

It would still not settle anything, opponents would cry and squawk and keep demanding new referendums.
 

dragonslayer

Counselor
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 2, 2005
Messages
1,856
Reaction score
139
Location
Pacific Northwest, Oregon
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1282101


SALEM, Ore. Nov 4, 2005 — A judge on Friday upheld a gay marriage ban adopted by Oregon voters last year, rejecting claims that the amendment made too many changes at once and interfered with local government.


In his ruling, Marion County Circuit Judge Joseph Guimond backed supporters of the law who said the measure only clarified marriage law in a single, simple sentence.

The Oregon amendment, passed overwhelmingly in November 2004 as Measure 36, reads: "It is the policy of Oregon, and its political subdivisions, that only a marriage between one man and one woman shall be valid or legally recognized as a marriage."
I am a liberal and can see no reason for gays men or women to have a formal marriage. Heck i don't have nothing against gays as long as they don't hassle me. Hell I feel the same way about most americans.

the only americans that I have a problem with is the NeoConservative right antiamerican types and our current fascist government. They are trying to harm the sick, the elderly, the poor, civil rights, and the oppressed. they are racists and they are fake christians.

God Bless America and please save our country from Bush, Cheney, endless, war, the antiamerican greed and ravages of the NeoConservatives.
 

LyricalReckoner

New member
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Re: Judge upholds Oregon Gya Marriage ban

aps said:
What gay discrimination is now is what racial discrimination was when Brown v. Board of Education was decided.

Eventually, gay people will be able to marry. I truly believe that.
There's no law that says homosexuals can't get married. In fact, many of them are married. The laws only say things like a man can't marry a man, or a man can't marry more than one woman, or a man can't marry his sister or his cat. But there's no law that says a homosexual can't get married.
 

Diogenes

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
4,980
Reaction score
3,059
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Kelzie said:
Not to the public it didn't. Which were the ones who voted in this asinine law.
Yes it did, beginning in Wyoming when the territory became a state. If you ever get out to South Pass City, a restored ghost town about 30 miles south of Lander, stop in and learn something about the early history of the movement. The movement gained momentum, particularly in frontier states where it was difficult to ignore the obvious contribution of women, and spread among the states until it achieved the necessary super-majority to become a national constitutional amendment almost half a century later.

It's the American way for the people, not the courts or other black-robed priesthood, to define the parameters of their society.
 
Top Bottom