• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge to Capitol riot defendant: 'Patriotism is loyalty to country, loyalty to the Constitution'

Now it wasn't only an "insurrection" but also a rape? Come on, you can do better than that. I'm sure that somewhere on the internet you can find justification for charging treason and sentencing death by firing squad.

Obtuse much?
You know exactly what that comment was referring to, I mean you were even quoted if you can't remember what you wrote.

Source:
--

I think the judge's sentencing comment, in the last (bottom-most) quote above, is right on the money. The term 'patriots' has been corrupted & misappropriated by those bent on insurrection, and I'm glad the judge brought attention to it. Well done, judge!
This Democrat judge feels the need for celebrity…she’s a disgrace.

Your post is utterly meaningless. Telling the defendant that loyalty is to the Constitution and the country isn’t slightly controversial.

She said it in a way that is crystal clear too.

But then, there are still many people enthralled in your failed fuhrer’s cult of personality.

Living proof of how dangerous to democracy trumpism really is.

And now Tucker Carlson is running around cozying up to right wing facist dictators abroad and bringing them right to your living room.

How about crossing the border? Not trying to be difficult, but you opened the door.
Crossing which border? Why the comparison to a violent riot in a government building, which a previous poster claims is equivalent to trespassing.

He is incorrect, otherwise Nazis were patriots of germany. Patriotism is not loyalty to the country or even the constitution.

PATRIOTISM is loyalty to the IDEA of the United States of America, liberty and justice for all, for which it stands.

the constitution and country are how we enact these ideals as best we can, but they can be corrupted.

note that is not saying the guy was a patriot or that he does not deserve to be punished, but let be clear about what Patriotism truly is.

Last edited:
He is incorrect, otherwise Nazis were patriots of germany. Patriotism is not loyalty to the country or even the constitution.

PATRIOTISM is loyalty to the IDEA of the United States of America, liberty and justice for all, for which it stands.

the constitution and country are how we enact these ideals as best we can, but they can be corrupted.

note that is not saying the guy was a patriot or that he does not deserve to be punished, but let be clear about what Patriotism truly is.
Patriotism isn't unique to the USA. To Germany at that time they were patriots. Just like suicide bombers to those who support them were as well.

But you knew this

Your source says:
"Dresch was given the maximum sentence for the misdemeanor because of his criminal history -- including a 2013 incident where he fled from police, resulting in a high-speed car chase across state lines. He is the third Capitol riot defendant who has received jail time following a guilty plea"

I was wondering what sentences others have gotten, that did not have a prior criminal history.

Less, I would expect.

Well, we all know that someone who sympathizes with what the Trump traitors did that day and supports and repeats the same lies that lead them to action like you do wouldn’t have any idea what the concept of patriotism really is…

It’s no wonder you’d attack the judges words.

Patriotism is propaganda. I like to root for the US in the Olympics or the World Cup or WBC, but it's just a low-stakes rooting interest for fun.

Beyond that, patriotism is just a tool to get people to do what you want. I didn't sign up for anything just because I was born in Texas.

Really, how dare she sentence a Trump loyalist in line with the law and sentencing guideline. And criticize him for the crime he pled guilty to, to boot!

Patriotism isn't unique to the USA. To Germany at that time they were patriots. Just like suicide bombers to those who support them were as well.

But you knew this
I never said it was. I can also distinguish the difference between true patriots, which are beholden to Freedom, truth and justice for all, and those fake ones beholden to authoritarianism. I am sorry you cannot.

I never said it was. I can also distinguish the difference between true patriots, which are beholden to Freedom, truth and justice for all, and those fake ones beholden to authoritarianism. I am sorry you cannot.
The argument is subjective in nature.
Truth and justice is also subjective. My truth isn't your truth. Your justice isn't my justice. The people who stormed the capital should be tried for sedition or treason and then if found guilty made an example of. That may not be your justice.
My truth is the Trump was a stain on this nation and those that follow him hinder our progress. That may not be your truth either.
Freedom again is subjective.
Freedom..ah....freedom. that depends on what country you are in no? Lots of countries have laws and people feel they are truly free. What you consider freedom may not jive with some one else from here or abroad.

What you distinguish doesn't really matter. It's not objective in the slightest. It never will be.

But you won't accept this because of egos and your pride. You justify your words with hyperbole and catch phrases.

. I can also distinguish the difference between true patriots, which are beholden to Freedom, truth and justice for all,

I'm sure a simple search on this very forum would produce evidence that go against these very notions.

True patriots..that's a dangerous term honestly. That's like saying you aren't a true fan of x sports team because you can't cite last years roster.

No thank you. There is no need for that here in America.

this is another one of those threads where you can tell who supports the insurrection if you just pay attention.

You can also tell who supports the uneven application of justice based solely on ones political affiliation.

You can also tell who supports the uneven application of justice based solely on ones political affiliation.
yeah, it was nothing...

Capitol invasion: We saw proud rioters, death threats, damage

And neither were the BLM protests.

blm protest.jpg

I might note that her comment comes after sentencing the guy to 6 months for misdemeanor demonstrating. I wonder if she considers the 8th Amendment to be part of the Constitution or not.
he has a felony in his criminal history..the dude has zero respect for the law...his charge was illegal demonstration inside a federal building....the Capitol to be precise...he wasn't too far in, which is why he was offered that as a plea bargain...but people who flee across state lines running from the cops are not what I consider ideal citizens.

All 1/6 demonstrated is that Hillary underestimated.

Sorry, but I couldn't help but chuckle at that comment. I was first introduced to the term "patriot" when I was taught in high school about the insurrectionists during the American Revolution. You know, "give me liberty or give me death" and all of that.

View attachment 67346222

Lmao, absolutely deluded.

In the fascist dictatorship YOU support Ashli Babbit WAS summarily shot.

When cops shoot some folks, they're just doing their job...

....when one shoots Ashli Babbitt, we live in a fascist dictatorship, huh?

🙃

I'd say he got off fairly light. He was offered a lenient plea deal and got off with what is essentially time served. A few hundred years ago someone might have been executed for an attempted overthrow of a government.

One wonders why the only time I see reich wingers complain about our justice system is when one of their own terrorists get caught up in it. :unsure:
Yes, they're all for the 'rule of law' until they're confronted by it! Then the whining begins...

She extended his sentence because of a prior, completely unrelated, crime for which he'd already served his sentence?
Happens all the time in British courts. "Is anything known?" asks a judge of the prosecution and that person's prior record will affect his/her judgement.

My bad. Comrade. 😃

You telling yourself Jan 6 was full or patriots, and that you grew up in America is the only thing you need to feel bad over.

😀

Back
Top Bottom