• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge strikes down DeVos plan to boost pandemic relief for private schools

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

BB18J3kX.img

9/4/20
A federal judge on Friday ruled that Education Secretary Betsy DeVos’ effort to boost the amount of emergency pandemic relief that flows to private school students is illegal and struck down the policy. U.S. District Judge Dabney Friedrich, an appointee of President Donald Trump, ruled that DeVos ran afoul of the CARES Act when she required public schools to send a greater share of pandemic assistance to private school students than is typically required under federal law. The judge sided with the NAACP, which had brought the legal challenge against DeVos’ policy, criticizing it as a ploy to divert emergency aid away from needy public schools toward more affluent private-school students. Several other judges had already preliminarily blocked DeVos’ rule in certain states, but Judge Friedrich’s ruling — which is final — goes further in striking down the entire rule as illegal. The ruling will apply nationwide. Friedrich ruled that DeVos lacked the authority to add her own conditions on the $13 billion that Congress set aside for K-12 schools in the CARES Act. The restrictions applied to another $3 billion pot of money in the law controlled by governors, to the extent they chose to spend it on K-12 schools.

It amazes me that all of the DeVos's of this administration continue to believe that their partisan decrees will not be challenged in the courts.

It amazes me that all of the DeVos's of this administration continue to believe that their partisan decrees will not be challenged in the courts.
DeVos has lived in a bubble of extreme wealth/privilege for so long that she is oblivious to the rules and laws the rest of us peons are governed by.

When history is written, there will be a great conflict over which trump administration official is considered the most cartoonishly evil, but I do think DeVos will be in the top five at least.

Over a decision to remove funding for the special olympics, DeVos has this response. Go to :20.

Last edited:

BB18J3kX.img

Has anyone told DeVoss that the states fund and run the schools, while the feds just make up a few rules and fund extras?
No, I guess not. Since she has not taught, has not sent kids to public schools, she has no clue at all. She has no experience in public education whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom