• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge sentences veteran to 24 hours in jail, then joins him behind bars

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The judge knew that Sgt. Joseph Serna had been through a lot.

Yup, almost killed 3 times, and has 3 Purple Hearts and other decorations. He also has something else.... A bad case of PTSD that he has struggled with for years. So when the man admitted flunking a piss test, the judge sentenced him to 24 hours in jail.... then joined him in his jail cell for the entire time. The judge knew what was going on in that vet's head, because he spent time deployed himself during the Gulf War.

That judge deserves a toast. There are not many like him.

Article is here.

Yup, almost killed 3 times, and has 3 Purple Hearts and other decorations. He also has something else.... A bad case of PTSD that he has struggled with for years. So when the man admitted flunking a piss test, the judge sentenced him to 24 hours in jail.... then joined him in his jail cell for the entire time. The judge knew what was going on in that vet's head, because he spent time deployed himself during the Gulf War.

Article is here.

The Judge is a good man.

What a class act the judge is. I think that may have been some therapy for the young man.

Feels good to read at first but think about it... he's still stuck with the judge for 24 hours. Who knows what they talked about in that cell.

Why sentence him at all? Now he has a record.

Feels good to read at first but think about it... he's still stuck with the judge for 24 hours. Who knows what they talked about in that cell.

Why sentence him at all? Now he has a record.

Could be man mins at play here.
Both were Vets in active War zones, I am sure they had plenty to talk about.
If you were a vet, and I am not slamming you, this would be clear.

Article is here.

I hope folks will take the time to read that entire article. Very moving. I was touched both by the judge's compassion and concern, and the horrors Sgt. Serna had endured while serving our country.

Could be man mins at play here.
Both were Vets in active War zones, I am sure they had plenty to talk about.
If you were a vet, and I am not slamming you, this would be clear.

Forgot about minimum sentencing. You're probably right.

I'm not a vet so I can only imagine.

I hope folks will take the time to read that entire article. Very moving. I was touched both by the judge's compassion and concern, and the horrors Sgt. Serna had endured while serving our country.
Yes, he certainly served his country. I know you did not, but let us not forget the Judge.

Forgot about minimum sentencing. You're probably right.

I'm not a vet so I can only imagine.

Not sure on min sentencing, but being a Vet, I have some friends that are pretty messed up.

Respect for Judge Oliviera.

Yes, he certainly served his country. I know you did not, but let us not forget the Judge.
The judge is also a vet.

Article is here.

Very few know what these brave vets have to deal with and it is great to see a judge that shows compassion . :happy:

Back
Top Bottom