• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge rules Pennsylvania governor's COVID-19 restrictions unconstitutional

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Judge rules Pennsylvania governor'''s COVID-19 restrictions unconstitutional | Reuters

(Reuters) - A U.S. federal judge on Monday ruled as unconstitutional some of Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf’s orders to control the coronavirus outbreak, including limits on crowd sizes, requirements that people stay home, and the closing of non-essential businesses.

Ruling on a lawsuit brought by business owners and Republican politicians, U.S. District Judge William Stickman IV, a Trump appointee, said the restrictions were executed with good intentions but were arbitrary and violated individual rights.

While some of the limits have been lifted since the lawsuit was filed in May, the Democratic governor has maintained some restrictions on gatherings and on bars and restaurants.

The Wolf administration was reviewing the ruling, a spokesperson told Reuters.
===========================================================
On a related topic, I visited the local PA hardware store to pick up a bag of mulch today. The guy behind the cash register (less that 6 feet away from me) had a mask on but it didn't cover his nose. I told him that he wasn't wearing his mask correctly. I got no response. But I mentioned it to the guy who helped lift the bag into the trunk of my car.

I've seen this before, such as at the drive up window of my pharmacy. If people are either ignoring mask etiquette or are simply ignorant, this is a wider problem apparently.

Judge rules Pennsylvania governor'''s COVID-19 restrictions unconstitutional | Reuters

(Reuters) - A U.S. federal judge on Monday ruled as unconstitutional some of Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf’s orders to control the coronavirus outbreak, including limits on crowd sizes, requirements that people stay home, and the closing of non-essential businesses.

Ruling on a lawsuit brought by business owners and Republican politicians, U.S. District Judge William Stickman IV, a Trump appointee, said the restrictions were executed with good intentions but were arbitrary and violated individual rights.

While some of the limits have been lifted since the lawsuit was filed in May, the Democratic governor has maintained some restrictions on gatherings and on bars and restaurants.

The Wolf administration was reviewing the ruling, a spokesperson told Reuters.
===========================================================
On a related topic, I visited the local PA hardware store to pick up a bag of mulch today. The guy behind the cash register (less that 6 feet away from me) had a mask on but it didn't cover his nose. I told him that he wasn't wearing his mask correctly. I got no response. But I mentioned it to the guy who helped lift the bag into the trunk of my car.

I've seen this before, such as at the drive up window of my pharmacy. If people are either ignoring mask etiquette or are simply ignorant, this is a wider problem apparently.
I forget. Can a federal judge be impeached?

peachy. more infections, longer COVID era.

This trump judge will next rule that children don’t have to wear masks to school.

Yes. But ruling in a way that you don’t like isn’t impeachable
That didn’t stop the Democrats from wanting to impeach Trump simply because Hillary lost.

peachy. more infections, longer COVID era.

Wrong way around. More infections more quickly equals shorter COVID era. The lockdowns, etc., have prolonged Covid much longer than it would have been otherwise.

Wrong way around. More infections more quickly equals shorter COVID era. The lockdowns, etc., have prolonged Covid much longer than it would have been otherwise.

not this **** again.

we sane Americans have to deal the the dullest tools in the shed who literally have no idea how basic math works.

not this **** again.

we sane Americans have to deal the the dullest tools in the shed who literally have no idea how basic math works.

True, you clearly have no clue how basic math works if you think flattening a curve makes something last shorter, when literally the purpose of it is to extend out infections over time instead of all at once.

That didn’t stop the Democrats from wanting to impeach Trump simply because Hillary lost.

The impeachment standards differ for the president and Vice President as opposed to everyone else.

I forget. Can a federal judge be impeached?

Of course they can and I have a feeling there will be many Trump appointees up for it. Many are grossly unqualified and do not belong on the bench.

True, you clearly have no clue how basic math works if you think flattening a curve makes something last shorter, when literally the purpose of it is to extend out infections over time instead of all at once.

Literally the point of it is to save lives by reducing infections. Not that you care about lives. We are not going to reach herd immunity without millions of deaths. It has never been an option. We need to keep saving lives until the vaccine kicks in. Every single person that refuses to wear a mask in public is complicit in causing more people to die.That judge included. It is as simple as that.

Last edited:
Literally the point of it is to save lives by reducing infections. Not that you care about lives. We are not going to reach herd immunity without millions of deaths. It has never been an option. We need to keep saving lives until the vaccine kicks in. Every single person that refuses to wear a mask in public is complicit in causing more people to die.That judge included. It is as simple as that.

Rather, the point of it is to spread out infections, meaning a longer covid period.

okay, here we go again. i'm gonna have to beat down yet another person who doesn't understand math.

so, what % of our population has been/is infected with COVID? just give me a percentage.

Rather, the point of it is to spread out infections, meaning a longer covid period.

The effort to reduce infections is done to save lives and reduce the number of active infections to a number that can be contact traced which then can reduce infections to near zero and life can start returning to normal. That is what most other countries did, you know.... the ones that had real leaders who cared about the lives of their citizens. It would take years and cost millions of lives to reach herd immunity and our economy would be decimated.

76402256-5dcb-4dff-ac3b-775226be89a2-300x329.jpg

The impeachment standards differ for the president and Vice President as opposed to everyone else.
I was being somewhat facetious.

Yes. But ruling in a way that you don’t like isn’t impeachable

Technically speaking, if a legislature has the numbers, it's impeachable if they say it's impeachable.

Last edited:
And what stops the Pennsylvania Court of appeLs from overruling the judge and declaring the Governor is within the rights of the Pennsylvania?
Nothing as far as I know. But I’m not a legal scholar so what do I know?

Nothing as far as I know. But I’m not a legal scholar so what do I know?

Me either , but a Court should consider what are the Governor of Pennsylvania’s emergency management powers include and what is the scope of his/her powers under the Constitution of the state of Pennsylvania.

It is my educated opinion the current ruling may be overturned.

I would need to study the Pennsylvania Constitution more but I leave that up those more qualified than I.

Only if there is herd immunity. More and more studies are finding there is at best limited immunity... 2 to 6 months for most.

Plus of course the fact that Covid-19 is much deadlier for 70+ year old than the flu and other transmitted diseases.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom