• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge rejects NRA bid to end or move New York lawsuit seeking its closure (1/21/21)

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A New York state judge on Thursday rejected the National Rifle Association’s bid to dismiss or move a lawsuit by New York Attorney General Letitia James seeking to dissolve the gun rights group.

Justice Joel Cohen of Manhattan Supreme Court ruled six days after the NRA filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy to protect itself from lawsuits, and said it would reincorporate in the more gun-friendly Texas after 150 years in New York.

James had sued the NRA, Chief Executive Wayne LaPierre and others last August.
===================================================================================
She accused the group of violating state laws governing nonprofits by diverting millions of dollars to fund luxurious trips for its officials, no-show contracts for associates, and other suspect expenses.

Maybe LaPierre will have to start flying coach instead of in private jets.

Ohhh, a reason for the NRA moves.

Ohhh, a reason for the NRA moves.

They've already declared bankruptcy in order to get around this lawsuit but the NY A/G is a tough lady. For a non-profit they've been living pretty high on the hog.

They've already declared bankruptcy in order to get around this lawsuit but the NY A/G is a tough lady. For a non-profit they've been living pretty high on the hog.
Not tough enough. She hasn't dragged her Governor into court for killing 6K+ elderly last year.

I don't believe bankruptcy is a mitigating factor in the NRA case. I suspect NY will move to stop the NRA from acting as a charitable foundation in the state of NY.

I'm not surprised. Apparently it was a *cough* long shot in the first place.

It looks like the right wing is getting the worst legal advice these days....

Not tough enough. She hasn't dragged her Governor into court for killing 6K+ elderly last year.
Yeah, that's because while Cuomo certainly didn't get everything right, your claim is 💯% nonsense. It's just another example of right-wing disinformation that simply will not die. :rolleyes:

However, since you have made that claim, I look forward to your demanding that Trump be charged with crimes against humanity, for contributing to the deaths of thousands, if not tens of thousands, by attending his rallies and events with insufficient safeguards, admitted attempt to cover up the severity of the virus, and false promulgation of hydroxychloroquine as a prophylactic. :unsure:

She's a joke. She just sued the NYPD and mayor for responding to BLM terrorists for burning buildings and looting stores.

I don't believe bankruptcy is a mitigating factor in the NRA case. I suspect NY will move to stop the NRA from acting as a charitable foundation in the state of NY.
I think there also will be heavy fines, and since one of the reasons a bankrupcy can be rejected is 'fraud', and fraud the reason for the lawsuit, I would not be surprised if the bankruptcy is rejected

Excellent hijack! Well done!

Now, any thoughts on the NRA getting bitch slapped by this judge?

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A New York state judge on Thursday rejected the National Rifle Association’s bid to dismiss or move a lawsuit by New York Attorney General Letitia James seeking to dissolve the gun rights group.

Justice Joel Cohen of Manhattan Supreme Court ruled six days after the NRA filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy to protect itself from lawsuits, and said it would reincorporate in the more gun-friendly Texas after 150 years in New York.

James had sued the NRA, Chief Executive Wayne LaPierre and others last August.
===================================================================================
She accused the group of violating state laws governing nonprofits by diverting millions of dollars to fund luxurious trips for its officials, no-show contracts for associates, and other suspect expenses.

Maybe LaPierre will have to start flying coach instead of in private jets.
lol @ the stupid NRA.

She's a joke. She just sued the NYPD and mayor for responding to BLM terrorists for burning buildings and looting stores.
No one is as much of a joke as the NRA.

Screen-Shot-2018-07-16-at-4.02.12-PM-1536x912.jpg

...like an exceptionally stupid joke.

No one is as much of a joke as the NRA.

Screen-Shot-2018-07-16-at-4.02.12-PM-1536x912.jpg

...like an exceptionally stupid joke.
No idea who that is. You or someone affiliated with the NRA? What's with the bird?

Back
Top Bottom