• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge rejects citizenship question for 2020 U.S. census

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ip-question-for-2020-u-s-census-idUSKCN1P91SF

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A federal judge on Tuesday rejected the Trump administration’s plan to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census questionnaire.

U.S. District Judge Jesse Furman in Manhattan said the 18 U.S. states, 15 cities and various civil rights groups that challenged Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross’ addition of the question proved it was more likely than not that they would be harmed if it were added.
===========================================================
The probability of undercounting immigrants was one of the main objections to this question being added in the census.

I actually have no objection to the inclusion of this question, personally.

But you are a New England housewife, not an immigrant cowering over the prospect of being deported or underrepresented as a result of the census..

But you are a New England housewife, not an immigrant cowering over the prospect of being deported or underrepresented as a result of the census..

I'm not a housewife. I work and have my entire adult life.

A legal immigrant wouldn't be deported.

True (for the bolded), but if I were to immigrate to France, England, or pretty much any country illegally I would be facing the same thing there. Like it or not, they are here illegally. I wish there was an option for a path to citizenship that was offered for them, but right now there is isn't. Simply ignoring the problem isn't going to make things better for them.

How can ILLEGAL immigrants be underrepresented??? What right to representation in the U.S. do they have exactly?

Fear mongering works.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ip-question-for-2020-u-s-census-idUSKCN1P91SF

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A federal judge on Tuesday rejected the Trump administration’s plan to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census questionnaire.

U.S. District Judge Jesse Furman in Manhattan said the 18 U.S. states, 15 cities and various civil rights groups that challenged Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross’ addition of the question proved it was more likely than not that they would be harmed if it were added.
===========================================================
The probability of undercounting immigrants was one of the main objections to this question being added in the census.

Frankly, I doubt any illegals would even fill out a census questionaire ... (grin)

All this would do is void the entire point of the census, all it does is encourage people to not answer correctly.

A thing like that could appear to be neutral until one considers the motive behind the person pushing for it and the pattern of behavior they've already demonstrated.

If I buy a gun (a guy without a criminal history), it could reasonably be surmised that I intend to use it for target practice and self protection. If a multiple-convicted criminal buys a gun, it could reasonably be surmised that he intends to use it in the commission of a crime.

If somebody like Obama pushed for the inclusion of a citizenship question, that would be one thing. But when a guy who has regularly demonized immigrants and Latinos, and has regularly expressed his belief that immigrants were responsible for throwing him a popular election loss, that throws the issue into considerably more suspicion.

Back
Top Bottom