• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge orders Papadopoulos to report to prison on Monday

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
(CNN)Despite his last-minute requests and hopes, former Trump campaign adviser George Papadopoulos will still have to start his 14-day prison sentence on Monday for lying to federal investigators in the Russia probe.

Papadopoulos had asked a federal judge twice in the last 10 days to pause his sentence. The federal Bureau of Prisons has him set to surrender at a correctional camp in Wisconsin tomorrow.

The judge who sentenced him, however, denied both of his requests on Sunday, saying Papadopoulos hadn't filed any court appeals within the window he was allowed and gave a firm nod that the office of special counsel, which prosecuted Papadopoulos, has acted correctly.
Source: (CNN) Judge orders Papadopoulos to report to prison on Monday

Despite the propensity of some dismissing this incident as "merely a process crime", I'm having a hard time feeling any sorrow for someone that attempted to obstruct justice by lying to federal investigators.

I for one am glad to see a crackdown on this stuff, because quite frankly I'm tired of the of lying and deceit of those in our government. I surely don't want prosecutorial abuse; but I see no other way to properly depose during an investigation, without the threat of negative consequence.

Despite the propensity of some dismissing this incident as "merely a process crime", I'm having a hard time feeling any sorrow for someone that attempted to obstruct justice by lying to federal investigators.

I for one am glad to see a crackdown on this stuff, because quite frankly I'm tired of the of lying and deceit of those in our government. I surely don't want prosecutorial abuse; but I see no other way to properly depose during an investigation, without the threat of negative consequence.

14 days? I don’t know what message that sends. Where does one serve a two-week sentence? That’s only one change of linens...

IMO "lying to investigators" is a silly crime, unless the lie is directly tied to a true major crime.

I wonder if Papadopoulos had an attorney present to advise him on his responses at the time the FBI agents were questioning him.

Many attorneys consider this an entrapment system, since typically the investigators already know the answers to some of their questions via some confidential source or some wiretapping record. They ask an innocuous question in hopes of catching a person in a lie.

Consider the most famous example, President Clinton and Monica Lewinski. She had nothing to do with the main issues being investigated yet it was his lie about their relationship that fostered the impeachment attempt.

Were it me facing such questioning I would hire a good criminal defense attorney to sit and advise me before I responded. Better yet, if at all possible request written interrogatories as Trump did so that a crew of attorneys could help me answer the questions without stepping on the lie landmine.

Last edited:
He won't be housed in the big boy part of the jail, and will instead be in protective custody.

It will be more like the city holding cell, which while not pleasant at all, will be far better than county general population.

IMO "lying to investigators" is a silly crime, unless the lie is directly tied to a true major crime.

I wonder if Papadopoulos had an attorney present to advise him on his responses at the time the FBI agents were questioning him.

Many attorneys consider this an entrapment system, since typically the investigators already know the answers to some or their questions via some confidential source or some wiretapping record. They ask an innocuous question in hopes of catching a person in a lie.

Consider the most famous example, President Clinton and Monica Lewinski. She had nothing to do with the main issues being investigated yet it was his lie about their relationship that fostered the impeachment attempt.

Were it me facing such questioning I was hire a good criminal defense attorney to sit and advise me before I responded. Better yet, if at all possible request written interrogatories as Trump did so that a crew of attorneys could help me answer the questions without stepping on the lie landmine.

How about you just tell the ****ing truth?

Many attorneys consider this an entrapment system, since typically the investigators already know the answers to some or their questions via some confidential source or some wiretapping record. They ask an innocuous question in hopes of catching a person in a lie.

Were it me facing such questioning I was hire a good criminal defense attorney to sit and advise me before I responded. Better yet, if at all possible request written interrogatories as Trump did so that a crew of attorneys could help me answer the questions without stepping on the lie landmine.
I can see the rationale for wanting to limit the criminal penalty for lying, to be directly related to the underlying crime. But when doing an investigation, one may not know the full extent of criminal activity or what leads may indeed develop.

So I see it hard to have to adjudicate exactly what is, and what is not, directly related and fully germane.

I can see the rationale for wanting to limit the criminal penalty for lying, to be directly related to the underlying crime. But when doing an investigation, one may not know the full extent of criminal activity or what leads may indeed develop.

So I see it hard to have to adjudicate exactly what is, and what is not, directly related and fully germane.

It's likely he sung and gave some things up. Otherwise there's no rational basis for Mueller agreeing to such a slap on the wrist.

Are you being truthful about cracking down ...or rather more cavalier since it's just against the other team?

That's all fine and good but the fact is its happening to someone that is probably ostensibly innocent of anything but a misstep in memory that results in nothing material being affected or harmed.

So, in an effort to ascertain your even-handedness, should we not also hold the fat lady and her many minions to the same standard in lying to Congress AND the FBI, repeatedly, knowingly and provably [ see Comey Congressional Testimony]...

14 days? I don’t know what message that sends. Where does one serve a two-week sentence? That’s only one change of linens...

That's what I thought too, but fourteen days was long enough to cause Papadopoulos to try challenging the legitimacy of Mueller's investigation (spoiler alert: he failed).

You get a lessor sentence when you cooperate?

The Dutch guy got thirty days? They both “lied to investigators.” Was one lie worth two weeks more than the other......:doh

How about you just tell the ****ing truth?

How about if you don't recall the incident, or the particular detail being asked about?

Facing any interrogation is a very disturbing experience, most people react nervously even if they are completely innocent.

Often instead of saying "I don't recall," or "I have no recollection of that," many people simply deny it occurred.

Having a chance to whisper with an attorney could allow you to avoid an outright lie by saying an actual truth i.e. "I do not recall..."

Last edited:

You should watch this.

How about you make a point; I don’t have 45 minutes to figure out what you want to contribute to the dialogue........

How about if you don't recall the incident, or the particular detail being asked about?

Often instead of saying "I don't recall," or "I have no recollection of that," many people simply deny it occurred.

Having a chance to whisper with an attorney could allow you to avoid an outright lie by saying an actual truth i.e. "I do no recall..."

Help me out! What is an “actual truth?”

You get a lessor sentence when you cooperate?

Sure, and then he challenged the legitimacy of the SC investigation later on anyway, and Mueller responded with a document that based on his Papadopoulos's challenge and his tweets attacking the SC investigation that Papadopolous did not express true remorse for his crime. In other words, this 14 day sentence may not necessarily be the end of this particular chapter.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mueller-george-papadopoulos-tweets-court-filing-2018-11

You should watch this.

Rather than using a video to make an argument for you, why don't you explain to us which exact point the video is refuting and how the video is refuting it?

How about you make a point; I don’t have 45 minutes to figure out what you want to contribute to the dialogue........

My point is what the lawyer in the video says. Well..technically its HIS point. I'm just a messenger. You don't have to watch it right now. But it IS something that every American should know so I would advise that you do at some point. Note that the video was made in 2012 so has nothing to do with any current event. It is general advice on how to deal with police questions and what happens when being talked to by police. Including how police will often make the claim that "you lied" even when you never actually attempted to. So, simply "telling the truth" isn't a guarantee that you will not be charged with "lying to investigators".

Help me out! What is an “actual truth?”

Your post got me to thinking about this bit from another article. It doesn't deal with this exact event, but the point of it is succinct:

The president is a fabulist unmoored from the truth. And the confluence of the Russia investigation and Trump’s disturbing behavior toward women shows what happens when a serial liar collides at full speed with a legal system premised on the idea that words have meaning, and actions result in consequences. Trump’s obfuscation has been alarmingly effective in the realm of politics. It will likely prove less so in the courtroom, a space reserved for evaluating facts and weighing the consistency of arguments—though as president, Trump is unlikely to find himself on the wrong end of a criminal prosecution.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/04/how-courts-disarm-trump/558086/

My point is what the lawyer in the video says. Well..technically its HIS point. I'm just a messenger. You don't have to watch it right now. But it IS something that every American should know so I would advise that you do at some point. Note that the video was made in 2012 so has nothing to do with any current event. It is general advice on how to deal with police questions and what happens when being talked to by police. Including how police will often make the claim that "you lied" even when you never actually attempted to. So, simply "telling the truth" isn't a guarantee that you will not be charged with "lying to investigators".

Please provide an example where one of Trump's associates were indicted or pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI as a result of a "perjury trap," i.e. a situation in which the associate told the truth but was charged for lying to investigators anyway.

Since you posted that video and made the above post in a thread in which Papadopoulos is going to serve 14 days for lying to the FBI, I assume you're also able to demonstrate that Papadopoulos in particular told the FBI the truth and was charged for lying anyway.

Right?

Last edited:
Are you being truthful about cracking down ...or rather more cavalier since it's just against the other team?

That's all fine and good but the fact is its happening to someone that is probably ostensibly innocent of anything but a misstep in memory that results in nothing material being affected or harmed.

So, in an effort to ascertain your even-handedness, should we not also hold the fat lady and her many minions to the same standard in lying to Congress AND the FBI, repeatedly, knowingly and provably [ see Comey Congressional Testimony]...
If these clowns, Dem Repub or other, are committing crimes, I say bust them. Lying-perjury are no exception. I'm sincerely tired of crap in our government.

The Dutch guy got thirty days? They both “lied to investigators.” Was one lie worth two weeks more than the other......:doh
Depends on the circumstance. I don't know the circumstance.

Please provide us an example whereby one of Trump's associates were indicted or pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI as a result of a "perjury trap," i.e. a situation in which the associate told the truth but was charged for lying to investigators anyway.

Since you posted that video and made the above post in a thread in which Papadopoulos is going to be serving 14 days for lying to the FBI, I assume you're also able to demonstrate that Papadopoulos in particular told the FBI the truth and was charged for lying anyway.

Right?

You know...it takes a special kind of mind to make so many associations and assumptions about a post. All that I did was respond to Rex's simple one liner post of "How about you just tell the ****ing truth?". I was showing him that its not always that simple.

I made no comment about Trump, his associates, Papadopoulos, FBI or anything else.

Back
Top Bottom