• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Judge dismisses conspiracy charges against DeLay

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
but allows the money-laundering charges to stand. (Whew.)

This means that there is evidence that the jury will need to weigh (i.e., Earle's charges have possible validity).

KCConservative said:
For now. Stay tuned.

Do you have some inside knowledge, KC?

aps said:
Do you have some inside knowledge, KC?
None, other than the history of all the other smear campaign charges that have been brought against him in the past and eventually dropped.

Next stop for Ronnie Earl, Prison. Why;
1 - obstruction of justice.
2 - abuse of office.
3 - Jury rigging

There are more that I just can't think of right now, but these are already being talked about in response to Earl's behavior, and wouldn't it be nice to see a smear attempt boomerang around and smack the very Democrats who tried to hurt Republicans.

LaMidRighter said:
2 - abuse of office.
3 - Jury rigging

There are more that I just can't think of right now, but these are already being talked about in response to Earl's behavior, and wouldn't it be nice to see a smear attempt boomerang around and smack the very Democrats who tried to hurt Republicans.

That boomerang already happened in November 2000 and November 2004.

Judge throws out Delay Conspiracy charges

Well its begun one count of the trumped up charges against Tom Delay have been thrown out...........Eat your heart out liberals.......

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/12886

Judge Throws Out Tom Delay Conspiracy Charges
Posted by James Joyner at 17:08
A judge threw out conspiracy charges against ousted House Majority Leader Tom Delay, a major blow to the prosecution team.

aps said:
but allows the money-laundering charges to stand. (Whew.)

This means that there is evidence that the jury will need to weigh (i.e., Earle's charges have possible validity).

For the time being.....Money laundering will be extremely hard to prove.....I think eveyone knows that this is just partisan politics on the part of the dems for the way Delay snookered them on the redistricting issue in Texas...........

Its going to be really hard on the dems if these are thrown out to because of lack of evidence........

Stay tuned...........

Navy Pride said:
For the time being.....Money laundering will be extremely hard to prove.....I think eveyone knows that this is just partisan politics on the part of the dems for the way Delay snookered them on the redistricting issue in Texas...........

Its going to be really hard on the dems if these are thrown out to because of lack of evidence........

Stay tuned...........

Hi Navy Pride. Tell me how the money laundering issue is hard to prove. Well, if "everyone" knows that this is partisan politics, why don't I know this? You might want to clarify your sentence to say that "every republican." ;)

Seriously, as pointed out when the charges were first brought, Earle has indicted, I believe, 15 people--12 democrats and 3 republicans. Sorry, but I don't think you can say that he is all about partisan politics. You genuinely think that this is about DeLay's redistricting issue? I don't buy that for a minute. Has it ever occurred to you that DeLay is possibly a shady politician? I am hoping that he is implicated in the Abramoff case. That would make my day.....

aps said:
Hi Navy Pride. Tell me how the money laundering issue is hard to prove. Well, if "everyone" knows that this is partisan politics, why don't I know this? You might want to clarify your sentence to say that "every republican." ;)

Seriously, as pointed out when the charges were first brought, Earle has indicted, I believe, 15 people--12 democrats and 3 republicans. Sorry, but I don't think you can say that he is all about partisan politics. You genuinely think that this is about DeLay's redistricting issue? I don't buy that for a minute. Has it ever occurred to you that DeLay is possibly a shady politician? I am hoping that he is implicated in the Abramoff case. That would make my day.....

Its true that Earle prosecuted 12 dems and 3 republicans but what you fail to mention is those prosecutions were at a time when dems controlled the who state government and that the dems were conservatives........There were very few republicans from Texas in the state or federal government...........

This is all smoke and mirrors by the dems..It is payback for the way Delay snookered the dems on the redistricting issue......They are hoping if they can delay this long enough that he will lose his leadership position in the House.........That is what this is all about my friend......

LaMidRighter said:
2 - abuse of office.
3 - Jury rigging

Dude, wait, I thought you were better than this.
Ronnie Earl has indicted more democrats than republicans, and didn't he even indict himself once? Yeah, that sounds like a guy who's only doing partisan political attacks via the law.

Or maybe, perhaps, Tom Delay, universally known as one of the dirtiest players in the game, might've actually done something wrong, and those previous charges had some merit to them, but since he's extremely powerful and extremely rich (and thus has fantastic attorneys), he got off.

Come on dude, you're better than this, use your head man.

galenrox said:
Dude, wait, I thought you were better than this.
Ronnie Earl has indicted more democrats than republicans, and didn't he even indict himself once? Yeah, that sounds like a guy who's only doing partisan political attacks via the law.

Or maybe, perhaps, Tom Delay, universally known as one of the dirtiest players in the game, might've actually done something wrong, and those previous charges had some merit to them, but since he's extremely powerful and extremely rich (and thus has fantastic attorneys), he got off.

Come on dude, you're better than this, use your head man.

Dude read this:

Its true that Earle prosecuted 12 dems and 3 republicans but what you fail to mention is those prosecutions were at a time when dems controlled the who state government and that the dems were conservatives........There were very few republicans from Texas in the state or federal government...........

Navy Pride said:
Dude read this:
Do you intend to prove this? Here, I'll give you a list of names, and you prove to me that they were all actually conservatives:
State Representative Betty Denton
State Representative Lance Denton
State House Speaker Gib Lewis
Attorney General (I'm assuming state) Jim Mattox
State Treasurer Warren Harding
State Senator Gene Jones
Texas Supreme Court Justice Don Yarbrough
(these are out of the 11 that About.com found)
And also, since you've accused him of repeatedly using his office for political purposes, then explain how come, out of these 11 only 2 got off?

galenrox said:
Do you intend to prove this? Here, I'll give you a list of names, and you prove to me that they were all actually conservatives:
State Representative Betty Denton
State Representative Lance Denton
State House Speaker Gib Lewis
Attorney General (I'm assuming state) Jim Mattox
State Treasurer Warren Harding
State Senator Gene Jones
Texas Supreme Court Justice Don Yarbrough
(these are out of the 11 that About.com found)
And also, since you've accused him of repeatedly using his office for political purposes, then explain how come, out of these 11 only 2 got off?

I don't have to prove it because its a fact........A lot of dems like Phil Grahn (not sure of the spelling) were dems and changed parties when the dem party in Texas stared moving to the left..............If you followed Texas Politics you would know that......

Earle is a partisan hack.He has even spoken at democratic fund raisers......

Navy Pride said:
I don't have to prove it because its a fact........A lot of dems like Phil Grahn (not sure of the spelling) were dems and changed parties when the dem party in Texas stared moving to the left..............If you followed Texas Politics you would know that......

Earle is a partisan hack.He has even spoken at democratic fund raisers......
If it's fact, show me legitamate sources.

Navy Pride said:
I don't have to prove it because its a fact........A lot of dems like Phil Grahn (not sure of the spelling) were dems and changed parties when the dem party in Texas stared moving to the left

If there were a lot, can you name me one more Texas dem that changed parties along with Phil Gramm?
I'll give you a hint, it was 1983.

Navy Pride said:
.............If you followed Texas Politics you would know that......

So, this would be an easy question for you to answer, right? :lol:

BWG said:
If there were a lot, can you name me one more Texas dem that changed parties along with Phil Gramm?
I'll give you a hint, it was 1983.

So, this would be an easy question for you to answer, right? :lol:

No I don't know of any I just know that a lot of democrats in the eighties were very Conservative...............

You I don't hear any of you libs saying anything about Earle speaking a democratic dund raising events.....Would you not consider someone likt that a partisan politician?

Navy Pride said:
No I don't know of any I just know that a lot of democrats in the eighties were very Conservative...............

You I don't hear any of you libs saying anything about Earle speaking a democratic dund raising events.....Would you not consider someone likt that a partisan politician?
No way are you getting away by ignoring my message, you've made a claim here and haven't backed it up with anything other than showing that someone said it on this forum earlier. This is a major claim which your entire argument relies on, so you have to either prove it by showing a legitamate source, or retract it (thus leaving your entire argument ridiculous and unsubstantiated)

galenrox said:
No way are you getting away by ignoring my message, you've made a claim here and haven't backed it up with anything other than showing that someone said it on this forum earlier. This is a major claim which your entire argument relies on, so you have to either prove it by showing a legitamate source, or retract it (thus leaving your entire argument ridiculous and unsubstantiated)

You don't respond to my points why should I respond to yours?

KCConservative said:
None, other than the history of all the other smear campaign charges that have been brought against him in the past and eventually dropped.

"Tom DeLay was rebuked on three separate matters by the House Ethics Committee in the last Congress, an extraordinary slap at the leader," says Ornstein. "But they left open pending a fourth issue, which was the Ronnie Earle case in Texas. So what did the House Republicans do? They fire the chairman of the Ethics Committee. They removed two members."

And two of the replacements had contributed to DeLay’s legal defense fund.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/04/60minutes/main678234.shtml

I actually hope Delay stays around just long enough to lose in 06.

He still faces 2 felonies charges - hardly chump change.He got off on a technicality on the conspiracy charge.

Mark my words: Delay will never again be Speaker of The House. I'll give 10 to 1 odds if anyone is interested.:mrgreen:

The culture of corruption is unprecedented.

hipsterdufus said:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/04/60minutes/main678234.shtml

I actually hope Delay stays around just long enough to lose in 06.

He still faces 2 felonies charges - hardly chump change.He got off on a technicality on the conspiracy charge.

Mark my words: Delay will never again be Speaker of The House. I'll give 10 to 1 odds if anyone is interested.:mrgreen:

The culture of corruption is unprecedented.

We shall see hips, your really going to be torqued out of shape if he gets off though...........I think that is what will happen.....we shall see..........

Navy Pride said:
We shall see hips, your really going to be torqued out of shape if he gets off though...........I think that is what will happen.....we shall see..........

I'm not worried. I bought a lot of Haliburton and Big Oil stocks 3 years ago - Michael Moore gave me the tip, so I'm rollin in it bruthah :mrgreen:

Navy Pride said:

what? he's a democrat, of course he spoke at a fundraising event! Now if you're arguing that association with a political party means you are too partisan to do your job, then that might mean something, but right now you're just proving that a man who admits to being a democrat is a democrat. Way to go, I guess.

Navy Pride said:
You don't respond to my points why should I respond to yours?
What points haven't I responded t? please, lay them out here and I'll respond to them. Then you have to show me one single frickin source that shows that you aren't just making ridiculous claims because Tom Delay said them.

galenrox said:
what? he's a democrat, of course he spoke at a fundraising event! Now if you're arguing that association with a political party means you are too partisan to do your job, then that might mean something, but right now you're just proving that a man who admits to being a democrat is a democrat. Way to go, I guess.

Come on dude get real......He is a partisan hack who has been after Delay for years and you know it..........

Back
Top Bottom