• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Judge Curiel Rules Trump Must Face Trial for Racketeering in Trump University Suit

Re: Judge Curiel Rules Trump Must Face Trial for Racketeering in Trump University Sui

It's a civil suit. Not a trial.

Civil suits are litigated.....wait for it..... in a trial.

This isn't rocket science.

Re: Judge Curiel Rules Trump Must Face Trial for Racketeering in Trump University Sui

You're correct, a civil suit going to court is correctly termed a trial. I misspoke. I believe it's federal because the class is scattered over many states.

However, the suit has nothing to do with RICO, which is a federal criminal matter. I don't believe Trump has been charged with anything.

You're correct, a civil suit going to court is correctly termed a trial. I misspoke. I believe it's federal because the class is scattered over many states.

However, the suit has nothing to do with RICO, which is a federal criminal matter. I don't believe Trump has been charged with anything.

Trump is being charged with fraud and racketeering under the RICO Act.

"...On October 18, 2013, Plaintiff filed a complaint in the above-captioned matter, alleging a single cause of action for mail and wire fraud in violation of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (“RICO”), 18 U.S.C. § 1962(c). ...

Plaintiff’s Complaint alleges a single cause of action for “Violations of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations [(“RICO”)] Act, 18 U.S.C. § 1962(c).” (Compl. at 30.) To state a claim under § 1962(c), a plaintiff must allege: “(1) conduct (2) of an enterprise (3) through a pattern (4) of racketeering activity.” Sedima, S.P. R.L. v. Imrex Co., Inc., 473 U.S. 479, 496 (1985). A plaintiff must also show harm of a specific business or property interest by the racketeering conduct. Id.; Diaz v. Gates, 420 F.3d 897, 900 (9th Cir. 2005). “Racketeering activity” is any act indictable under the several provisions of Title 18 of the United States Code, including the predicate acts alleged by Plaintiff in this case: mail fraud, 18 U.S.C. § 1341, and wire fraud, 18 U.S.C. § 1343...."

http://www.trumpuniversitylitigation.com/Content/Documents/Order Denying Motion to Dismiss.pdf

Trump is being charged with fraud and racketeering under the RICO Act.

"...On October 18, 2013, Plaintiff filed a complaint in the above-captioned matter, alleging a single cause of action for mail and wire fraud in violation of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (“RICO”), 18 U.S.C. § 1962(c). ...

Plaintiff’s Complaint alleges a single cause of action for “Violations of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations [(“RICO”)] Act, 18 U.S.C. § 1962(c).” (Compl. at 30.) To state a claim under § 1962(c), a plaintiff must allege: “(1) conduct (2) of an enterprise (3) through a pattern (4) of racketeering activity.” Sedima, S.P. R.L. v. Imrex Co., Inc., 473 U.S. 479, 496 (1985). A plaintiff must also show harm of a specific business or property interest by the racketeering conduct. Id.; Diaz v. Gates, 420 F.3d 897, 900 (9th Cir. 2005). “Racketeering activity” is any act indictable under the several provisions of Title 18 of the United States Code, including the predicate acts alleged by Plaintiff in this case: mail fraud, 18 U.S.C. § 1341, and wire fraud, 18 U.S.C. § 1343...."

http://www.trumpuniversitylitigation.com/Content/Documents/Order Denying Motion to Dismiss.pdf

Trump U and Trump are being sued. Trump has never been charged in connection with Trump U nor any other action that I know of.

It's typical to allege everything you can think of in a civil suit.

Being President does not absolve one of criminal activity, ask the Clintons the Repubs tried Hard to get charges against them, heck they still are. If he was elected to the Oval Office, not likely, and he was convicted of a Felony he would be removed from office, period.

And the world would breath easier... who takes over? Who is Trump's VP?

Trump U and Trump are being sued. Trump has never been charged in connection with Trump U nor any other action that I know of.

It's typical to allege everything you can think of in a civil suit.
There are two lawsuits. The first one is a class action lawsuit against Trump University. The second lawsuit is against Trump personally. It's the second lawsuit, Cohen v Trump that we have been discussing.

And the world would breath easier... who takes over? Who is Trump's VP?

You do not want to know, but who knows, maybe that was the plan all along.

Back
Top Bottom