• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge calls victim, 13, a 'sexual predator': Outcry as man walks free [W:11]

And if that 13-year old looked like a 18 year old? Yes this guy admits he knew, but what if he had not known?
That's one of the risks you take if you sleep around with strangers. Mitigation maybe, but ignorance is no defence.

The judge actually said that her promiscuity was no defence, but he was prepared to suspend the sentence. That's contradictory. At least the perpetrator's been found guilty. That means his sentence is open to review. It's not double jeopardy, he's been tried and found guilty. There's been an obvious error in sentencing which needs correction. The prosecutor has been removed from any future child abuse cases, and the judge is being looked at too...It looks like that correction will happen sooner rather than later.

Re: Judge calls victim, 13, a 'sexual predator': Outcry as man walks free

Thats quite the Broad brush to paint with. This happend in this case its not like all cases from here to end of time will be handled like this and the UK Goverment is already investagateing to see if they were too lenient on the the man. (Besides arn't there rules against haveing do over trails becuase the public didn't like how it turned out?)
"Sir? I know we let you off but the public found out and was ticked off. Could you come back in next week so we can change the sentance to something worse. Would you agree to 5 to 10 years?"
Appeals Lawyer would have a laugh all the way to the bank with that.
(I am assuming British law has those type of lawyers/laws)

There used to be a law that said the judge's decision was final, but the defendant had the right of appeal. Now the Attorney General also has a right of appeal. I think that is precisely what's going to happen in this case.

The use of the word 'predatory' by the barrister to describe a 13-year-old does seem weird.He also said she was 'sexually experienced', which is an assertion that can be immediately proved or disproved. I suspect he may have been correct in that comment. The fact is that he has been suspended pending a review. This all seems like the right course of action to me. No big drama, but then it is mid-August, so there not much else going on.

Back
Top Bottom