• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge Blocks State Law Defunding Planned Parenthood

TurtleDude

warrior of the wetlands
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Judge blocks state law defunding Planned Parenthood | The Columbus Dispatch

U.S. District Court Judge Michael Barrett of Cincinnati on Monday barred Ohio Department of Health Director Richard Hodges from enforcing a law to strip $1.5 million from the organization. The law was to have taken effect on Monday.

Judge Barrett is a friend of mine and comes from one of Cincinnati's most prominent families. He also is a BUSH appointee to the bench and his family is a well known Roman Catholic family: most of the Barrett men have attended the prestigious Jesuit HS-Saint Xavier.

Hard for any of the anti choice types to attack Judge Barrett as they once attacked the late Judges Carl Rubin and Arthur S Spiegel who were both Jewish (one a conservative Republican, one a socially liberal Jew) who often issued orders contrary to the desires of right to life which was founded in Cincinnati.

U.S. District Court Judge Michael Barrett of Cincinnati on Monday barred Ohio Department of Health Director Richard Hodges from enforcing a law to strip $1.5 million from the organization. The law was to have taken effect on Monday.

Judge Barrett is a friend of mine and comes from one of Cincinnati's most prominent families. He also is a BUSH appointee to the bench and his family is a well known Roman Catholic family: most of the Barrett men have attended the prestigious Jesuit HS-Saint Xavier.

Hard for any of the anti choice types to attack Judge Barrett as they once attacked the late Judges Carl Rubin and Arthur S Spiegel who were both Jewish (one a conservative Republican, one a socially liberal Jew) who often issued orders contrary to the desires of right to life which was founded in Cincinnati.

Nice to see a Catholic with common sense.

years ago, a city councilman passed a "fetal disposal bill" that would have required PP to treat such remains the same as a dead body. It was clearly designed to make abortion so expensive so as to end it. PP attorneys Alphonse Gehardstein and Tim Black (now federal district judge Tim Black) filed a request for a TRO and PI with Chief Judge Carl B Rubin Jr. I was in the clerk's office when Judge Rubin issued his order granting PP's motion. Jim Condit Jr-an extremist anti abortion militant who runs for congress every term on a virulent anti semitic and anti abortion platform was screaming in the Court's hallways about "Jews killed Jesus and now they killed the babies". SO I went up to him and noted that Tim Black was an episcopalian and -much to his shock-Al Gehardstein was a Catholic. Condit's idiot was the reason why metal detectors were shortly thereafter installed at the Courthouse

Condit and his cadre are going to have a hard time blaming the Jews for Judge Barrett's order!

years ago, a city councilman passed a "fetal disposal bill" that would have required PP to treat such remains the same as a dead body. It was clearly designed to make abortion so expensive so as to end it. PP attorneys Alphonse Gehardstein and Tim Black (now federal district judge Tim Black) filed a request for a TRO and PI with Chief Judge Carl B Rubin Jr. I was in the clerk's office when Judge Rubin issued his order granting PP's motion. Jim Condit Jr-an extremist anti abortion militant who runs for congress every term on a virulent anti semitic and anti abortion platform was screaming in the Court's hallways about "Jews killed Jesus and now they killed the babies". SO I went up to him and noted that Tim Black was an episcopalian and -much to his shock-Al Gehardstein was a Catholic. Condit's idiot was the reason why metal detectors were shortly thereafter installed at the Courthouse

Condit and his cadre are going to have a hard time blaming the Jews for Judge Barrett's order!

Da Joos.

Since when is a scheme (PP funding) to launder taxpayer dollars routed to Democrat campaign coffers "common sense"?

TD, the following is from the article you posted.

For more than 20 years, Planned Parenthood — which offers abortions at three of its 28 Ohio clinics

This is what chaps my ass about anti-PPers. ONLY 3 of 28 PP's in Ohio provide abortions and they are all damned.

There's tons I could add on this topic, but it's getting late, I don't want to explode over reading this kind of crap this late, it makes for a less than chance for a good night sleep.

I'll close by saying that the ignorance in the country regarding the good PP has done is beyond words...and leave it at that.

TD, the following is from the article you posted.

This is what chaps my ass about anti-PPers. ONLY 3 of 28 PP's in Ohio provide abortions and they are all damned.

There's tons I could add on this topic, but it's getting late, I don't want to explode over reading this kind of crap this late, it makes for a less than chance for a good night sleep.

I'll close by saying that the ignorance in the country regarding the good PP has done is beyond words...and leave it at that.

yeah the way to stop abortions is to deny poor women contraception and EDUCATION on how not to get knocked up

PP could solve the problem by quietly creating a self funded abortion company.

But instead they demand to be proud and not be pushed around by pro life forces, so they choose to fight and abort anyone they can get their hands on and with their heads held high.

yeah the way to stop abortions is to deny poor women contraception and EDUCATION on how not to get knocked up

Look out, Turtle. They are going to call you a fake Conservative now. LOL. :mrgreen:

here is why I don't understand why is the state funding planned parent hood to begin with.
they are a private charity organization. so why is the state giving them any money at all.

they should do what all other charity organizations have to do and raise the funds.
same goes for federal dollars? unless they are applying for grants and other things
I see no reason that taxpayers are giving them money we don't give all charity organizations money
like that.

Seems like the pro-murder types are the ones against choices

Seems like the pro-murder types are the ones against choices

Pro murder being the Army of God nut cases and others who shoot abortion doctors, firebomb the clinics and want to relegate women to back alley abortions that result in gruesome deaths through infections, while all the time pretending they are "good Christians" trying to save innocent life? Yeah those pro murder ass wipes are against choice and want to impose their psychotic mutation of Christianity on every one else.

How in the **** can it be unconstitutional to stop public funding of a charity? lol.

Barrett wrote in his order that the law would be “depriving thousands of Ohioans of high-quality, affordable health-care services and education programs." The law "bears no rational relationship to Ohio's stated interest of favoring childbirth."

That has literally nothing to do with the constitution at all.

He added, "There is also no doubt that the Ohio legislature enacted (the law) for the purpose of placing a substantial obstacle in the path of a woman seeking to obtain an abortion."

Prove it judge. Even if they did it wouldn't even begin to matter anyway since there is nothing in the constitution that deals with a mandate to fund private organizations.

This will be overturned on appeal. The state has every right to fund and defund private donations as it sees fit. Planned Parenthood as a private organization is not entitled to federal funding.

So Ohio state funding to a private organization is like Hotel California?

This will be overturned on appeal. The state has every right to fund and defund private donations as it sees fit. Planned Parenthood as a private organization is not entitled to federal funding.

I don't know about that. Judge Barrett is seen as a pragmatic judge who rarely, if ever, is reversed. The funding that is in question clearly advances a public good because PP is a source of health care for the lower classes and indigent women. Plus, the anti abortion zealots never seem to get that if you don't want abortions, you should support people being educated in birth control. Sadly, for the "sex other than procreation is sin" clowns, that seems to escape their narrow minds

I don't know about that. Judge Barrett is seen as a pragmatic judge who rarely, if ever, is reversed. The funding that is in question clearly advances a public good because PP is a source of health care for the lower classes and indigent women. Plus, the anti abortion zealots never seem to get that if you don't want abortions, you should support people being educated in birth control. Sadly, for the "sex other than procreation is sin" clowns, that seems to escape their narrow minds

Where does it say the government has to fund private organizations? Please tell me where it speaks towards this. Also, where does it say the government can't stop funding something if it advances a "public good"?

Last edited:

I don't care how "pragmatic" you think a judge isor who appointed him. Planned Parenthood is a private organization that is not entitled to public funding. For that to be true then every private organization that does public good is entitled to public funding, not just your pet projects.

Where does it say the government has to fund private organizations? Please tell me where it speaks towards this. Also, where does it say the government can't stop funding something if it advances a "public good"?

are you aware how many schools get some federal aid? ever heard of the Grove City College case before the Supreme Court

I don't care how "pragmatic" you think a judge isor who appointed him. Planned Parenthood is a private organization that is not entitled to public funding. For that to be true then every private organization that does public good is entitled to public funding, not just your pet projects.

take your argument to the sixth Circuit.

How in the **** can it be unconstitutional to stop public funding of a charity? lol.

That has literally nothing to do with the constitution at all.

I'd imagine that it might have something to do with "equal under the law". If the state provides funding to charities then they must provide funding to all charities that apply for it. Not JUST the ones that they agree with. It's much like religion. If the State allows a Christian Cross in the State Park then they also have to let all other religions the same opportunity to have their symbol up. And if you don't like that example then feel free to use inter-racial marriages which are based on the same 14th Amendment protection of "equal under the law".

Prove it judge. Even if they did it wouldn't even begin to matter anyway since there is nothing in the constitution that deals with a mandate to fund private organizations.

Everyone knows that is exactly what these types of bills are designed to do. The anti-abortion side does not hide it very well.

are you aware how many schools get some federal aid? ever heard of the Grove City College case before the Supreme Court

Your point? How are they entitled to any funding by the government?

I'd imagine that it might have something to do with "equal under the law". If the state provides funding to charities then they must provide funding to all charities that apply for it. Not JUST the ones that they agree with. It's much like religion. If the State allows a Christian Cross in the State Park then they also have to let all other religions the same opportunity to have their symbol up. And if you don't like that example then feel free to use inter-racial marriages which are based on the same 14th Amendment protection of "equal under the law".

That's a pretty stupid application of the equal protection clause. What the government decides to fund or not to fund is there decision to make and no one is owed that treatment. If however that is the way the left wants to play, fine, lets strip all funding of charities across the board.

Everyone knows that is exactly what these types of bills are designed to do. The anti-abortion side does not hide it very well.

So what? Are women owed a place to abort funded by the government?

Being a private organization is not enough to get funded. Being a private charity organization however is enough to get funded. That's the part that you're conveniently leaving out. That this is a charity organization. And by law all charity organizations are allowed to apply for federal/state funding. Denying one charity organization money simply because you don't like part of what they do is not a valid reason to deny them something that all other charity organizations get. The equal chance to apply for and get federal/state funds.

If you don't want PP to get state/federal funds and don't want to run afoul of the 14th Amendment's "equal under the law" clause then you're going to have to defund ALL charity organizations. Or simply have a valid excuse to deny funding. And providing abortions, a legal service, is NOT a valid reason.

Back
Top Bottom