• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge Blocks State Law Defunding Planned Parenthood

Exactly. A privilege can be taken away at any time by the giver. An entitlement is something people are owed and can't be taken away. What people are arguing is that Planned Parenthood is entitled to government funding.

Nope, that's not what is being said at all. You're just ignoring part of the argument in order to push this stance.

It can be denied for valid reasons. As such, its not considered an entitlement. Try again.

Entitlements by the government can be denied for reasons set by the government. How is this different again?

Nope, that's not what is being said at all. You're just ignoring part of the argument in order to push this stance.

Title X is an entitlement, sorry.

Entitlements by the government can be denied for reasons set by the government. How is this different again?

State governments cannot overrule federal governments. State governments also cannot overrule the 14th Amendment.

Title X is an entitlement, sorry.

You're free to think so. Doesn't mean that it is or that you're right. :shrug: Reality always trumps peoples perceptions.

Being a private organization is not enough to get funded. Being a private charity organization however is enough to get funded. That's the part that you're conveniently leaving out. That this is a charity organization.

You do realize this is state contracting and not charitable grants, right?

And by law all charity organizations are allowed to apply for federal/state funding. Denying one charity organization money simply because you don't like part of what they do is not a valid reason to deny them something that all other charity organizations get. The equal chance to apply for and get federal/state funds.

Wrong. The money given to Planned Parenthood was contracted and the state can terminate contracts as it sees fit. What the law did was make it illegal to contract with organizations that provide abortions. The state will likely still terminate the contract at its earliest convenience.

If you don't want PP to get state/federal funds and don't want to run afoul of the 14th Amendment's "equal under the law" clause then you're going to have to defund ALL charity organizations. Or simply have a valid excuse to deny funding. And providing abortions, a legal service, is NOT a valid reason.

Nope. This was a contract which by its very purpose discriminates against the majority of applicants. The state can discriminate in contracting by default.

State governments cannot overrule federal governments. State governments also cannot overrule the 14th Amendment.

Did the government set the terms in which it can be denied. Yes or no? Does the government set the terms in which all entitlements can be denied? Yes or no?

You're free to think so. Doesn't mean that it is or that you're right. :shrug: Reality always trumps peoples perceptions.

You pretty much already said it was. Title X is what people are using to defend the ruling, which is backed by the fourteenth amendment that makes Planned Parenthood a receiver of public funds unless Title X is repealed. Think about it. They are entitled to those funds until such point Title X is repealed. It's pretty ****ing obvious it's an entitlement.

Exactly. A privilege can be taken away at any time by the giver. An entitlement is something people are owed and can't be taken away. What people are arguing is that Planned Parenthood is entitled to government funding.

It's actually pretty funny seeing Turtledude defend a government entitlement. lol.

It's even worse, they are arguing that Planned Parenthood is entitled to a Government contract... pay no attention to other providers who lost the bid for that contract.

You need some help Palecon. calling for the death of a federal judge is not something that is going to be useful even if your career choice is as an Army of God urban insurgent or anti-semitic Grand Inquisitor

For the record, I am not nor have I ever called for vigilantism.

He should be subject to a trial, and then executed.

good luck with that. I suspect anyone who tried to do that would have a rather bad time of it

Only with in reason. They must have a valid reason to deny funding of Title X monies. If they don't then they run afoul of the 14th Amendment.

They gave the money to other organizations, which is within their discretion. Nothing in the Public Service Act says you must spread grant money evenly between a variety, or any set list, of organizations for those services.

Since when is a scheme (PP funding) to launder taxpayer dollars routed to Democrat campaign coffers "common sense"?

Pass the tin hat.

Since when is a scheme (PP funding) to launder taxpayer dollars routed to Democrat campaign coffers "common sense"?
Ever since the ignorant very conservatives made such a moronic talking point.

here is why I don't understand why is the state funding planned parent hood to begin with.
they are a private charity organization. so why is the state giving them any money at all.
They get reimbursed for healthcare services provided for those who can not afford them.

here is why I don't understand why is the state funding planned parent hood to begin with.
they are a private charity organization. so why is the state giving them any money at all.

Do you feel the same about public funding for CPCs? (crisis pregnancy centres)

Yes, let's just find him guilty, then take him out behind the courthouse and shoot him. LOL.

They get reimbursed for healthcare services provided for those who can not afford them.

unless the state is doing this for all free clinics I see no reason why the state should do that.

Free clinics need more government funding
Nearly three-fifths (58.7%) receive no government-supplied revenue, and slightly more than a quarter (26%) receive less than a fourth of their budget from any government source.

so again I have to ask why is planned parenthood being treated like a special cookie?
they aren't. they are simply another charity organization and should follow the same guidelines if not then the government
needs to expand who they are giving money to because other free clinics that do the same work aren't getting a dime.

Do you feel the same about public funding for CPCs? (crisis pregnancy centres)

if you are a charitable organization and unless you are getting and accepting grant money
why is the state paying you?

no other charity organization does that.
so what does it matter?

see my post above 2/3'rds of free clinics receive 0 money from the government.

Georgia]U.S. District Court Judge Michael Barrett of Cincinnati on Monday barred Ohio Department of Health Director Richard Hodges from enforcing a law to strip $1.5 million from the organization. The law was to have taken effect on Monday. Judge Barrett is a friend of mine and comes from one of Cincinnati's most prominent families. He also is a BUSH appointee to the bench and his family is a well known Roman Catholic family: most of the Barrett men have attended the prestigious Jesuit HS-Saint Xavier. Hard for any of the anti choice types to attack Judge Barrett as they once attacked the late Judges Carl Rubin and Arthur S Spiegel who were both Jewish (one a conservative Republican, one a socially liberal Jew) who often issued orders contrary to the desires of right to life which was founded in Cincinnati.

Well even the best of families can have the occasional black sheep... ;)

And BushII appointed Chief justice Roberts... I can almost here the outrage over un-elected lawyers in robes squashing the will of the people now... :peace

Agreed. So long as there is a valid reason for the denial. If not then there are only two things that you can do about it. Get rid of Title X or change the 14th Amendment.

Our system is designed so that discrimination between different groups is not allowed by our government. If they provide charities for private charity groups then they must do it for all types of charity groups. If you want to change that go ahead and try for it. GL on it though. I don't hold much hope of that ever changing with in my life time or my kid's kids life time.

States are free to choose which groups they fund and which they do not. A state action would only raise an equal protection question if it made a suspect classification, and there are not many of those. A state action creates a suspect classification only when it singles out people for disparate treatment on the basis of their race, national origin, or alienage. State actions which single out people for disparate treatment on the basis of their sex or birth legitimacy create "quasi-suspect" classifications.

Nothing in the Constitution prevents the people of a state from spending more on public highways, schools, and hospitals than it spends on, say, advertisements promoting public nudism or adult incest. The promoters of an abortion clinic do not have an equal protection claim because the people of that state decided to use funds that might have gone to that clinic to build libraries or dams instead.

Abortion raises very difficult moral questions, I think we should strongly discourage it and do all we can to make everyone keenly aware of just how grave a matter it is to take an incipient life. At the same time, I recognize that we are fallible humans and that there will always be times when, regrettably, where not allowing a woman to have an abortion would very cruelly punish her. Most of us enjoy sex a lot, and we do not always dot all the "i's" and cross all the "t's" when we engage in it. Doing the right thing--or the closest we can humanly come to it--often requires mercy and understanding. I've certainly done a lot of wrong things myself, and I'm damn glad people gave me a break when I did. I think you have to have done some sinning yourself to deal fairly with people who have sinned. I don't trust little goodie two-shoes who claim the right to condemn fornicators, just because their fornication was done carelessly.

Back
Top Bottom