• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge asks if Flynn's conduct is "treasonous activity"

Begs the question whether judge even knows what the hell he's talking about ...

@stevenportnoy
Follow Follow @stevenportnoy
More
"I felt terrible about that," Sullivan says, after the prosecutor notes Flynn's conduct as a foreign agent ended in mid-Nov 2016.

"I'm not suggesting he committed treason," Sullivan adds, further apologizing for his remarks in the prior session.

9:44 AM - 18 Dec 2018

Judge does NOT know what the hell is going on ...

Steven Portnoy
Verified account
@stevenportnoy
More
BREAKING: Judge Sullivan DELAYS the sentencing of Gen. Michael Flynn, sets a status hearing for March 13th.

9:55 AM - 18 Dec 2018

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/michael-flynn-sentencing/index.html

Judge Emmet Sullivan asked in court today if Michael Flynn's conduct "rises to the level of treasonous activity?"

Prosecutor Brandon Van Grack, speaking for the special counsel's office, said prosecutors did not consider charging Flynn with treason.
===========================================
When asked if Flynn could have been charged with treason, the prosecutor 'wouldn't go there.'

Things may be worse than most thought. The judge seems to believe that the charge should have been treason. The prosecution does not want to charge Flynn with treason. Add that to fact that Flynn has been advertised as a big source of information. There is a bigger fish that may be charged with treason. Trump is going to be fried and breaded.

Steven Portnoy
Verified account
@stevenportnoy
More
BREAKING: Judge Sullivan DELAYS the sentencing of Gen. Michael Flynn, sets a status hearing for March 13th.

It sounds like the judge thinks that Flynn should be charged with treason. Panicking yet?

Things may be worse than most thought. The judge seems to believe that the charge should have been treason. The prosecution does not want to charge Flynn with treason. Add that to fact that Flynn has been advertised as a big source of information. There is a bigger fish that may be charged with treason. Trump is going to be fried and breaded.

Good.

The judge is pretty much on it. He got a little too pissed off, did not quite have his facts right, and walked it back.

He then pushed back the sentencing by a few months to give Flynn more time to cooperate, but also gave a strong signal that no matter how much Flynn sings, this will likely involve some jail time.

Of course, the delusional Trumpets are probably going to switch instantly from "Sullivan will let Flynn off!" to "Sullivan is part of the Resistance!!!" Should be fun....

It sounds like the judge thinks that Flynn should be charged with treason. Panicking yet?

Based on the judge's follow up of I'm sorry[ "I felt terrible about that," Sullivan says, after the prosecutor notes Flynn's conduct as a foreign agent ended in mid-Nov 2016 "I'm not suggesting he committed treason,"), it doesn't add up to your statement. I'm wondering if they will switch judges after that clusterfark.

Sullivan calmed down and walked it back. Sentencing is delayed, status hearing in March.

I believe that the Flynn attorney's will take up Judge Sullivan on his offer and ask for a sentencing delay.

The purpose of this delay would be for Flynn to further cooperate with the government.

I honestly think that today, Judge Sullivan will send Flynn to prison in lieu of any sentencing delay.

Steven Portnoy
Verified account
@stevenportnoy
More

Looks like Fynn's lawyers just remembered that their client has more cooperation he can offer to the special counsel. Gee, I wonder what brought that on?

Judge Emmet Sullivan asked in court today if Michael Flynn's conduct "rises to the level of treasonous activity?"

Prosecutor Brandon Van Grack, speaking for the special counsel's office, said prosecutors did not consider charging Flynn with treason.
When asked if Flynn could have been charged with treason, the prosecutor 'wouldn't go there.'

The prosecutor wouldn't go there because he doesn't have a legitimate case, anyway.

They didn't because the definition of treason is exceptionally narrow. The judge was probably just signalling his disgust for Flynn.

That isnt walking it back, it even worse.
I realize this is fast-moving stuff, but... if you're going to comment, try to keep up. Sullivan all but accused Flynn of treason, before declaring a short recess to give Flynn time to reconsider about whether he wanted to be sentenced today. After the recess, Sullivan apologized for his remarks and clarified that he wasn't actually accusing Flynn of treason.

That is pretty much the textbook definition of "walking it back."

Donald Trump was willing to soft-pedal Flynn illegal interactions with foreign governments. This judge all but labeled them as treasonous.

A not so subtle cautionary message to Donald Trump. The courts will not be kind to Trump if he ever winds up in the docket.

The judge is pretty much on it. He got a little too pissed off, did not quite have his facts right, and walked it back.

He then pushed back the sentencing by a few months to give Flynn more time to cooperate, but also gave a strong signal that no matter how much Flynn sings, this will likely involve some jail time.

Of course, the delusional Trumpets are probably going to switch instantly from "Sullivan will let Flynn off!" to "Sullivan is part of the Resistance!!!" Should be fun....

Thank you for confirming it.

How did Flynn commit treason?

That would depend on if you are using a legal definition of the term or a common use application of what is understood treason to be. Betraying his nation for money.

This explains the Judge's comments and the prosecution's response.

Sullivan also walked back his treason questions. "I'm not suggesting" Flynn committed treason, Sullivan now said.

[/B]"I was just trying to determine the benefit and the generosity of the government," he said. "Don't read too much into the questions I ask."

Van Grack said Mueller's team has "no concern" or no reason to think Flynn committed treason.

/thread

That would depend on if you are using a legal definition of the term or a common use application of what is understood treason to be. Betraying his nation for money.
He didn't unless you have some "special" knowledge that even Mueller does not possess. Do you??????

which basically means no it doesn't rise to the level of treasonous activity.

Not quite.

It could also mean that the Prosecution DID think that it MIGHT rise to the level of treasonous activity but weren't sure enough of that opinion to discard all the benefits they could obtain by refraining from prosecuting (considering what they thought the likelihood of obtaining a conviction were).

He didn't unless you have some "special" knowledge that even Mueller does not possess. Do you??????

I don't follow you. Are you disputing that Flynn took money from a foreign power and his work for the Trump campaign hurt his nation and worked against the interests of the American people?

Begs the question whether judge even knows what the hell he's talking about ...

@stevenportnoy
More
"I felt terrible about that," Sullivan says, after the prosecutor notes Flynn's conduct as a foreign agent ended in mid-Nov 2016.

"I'm not suggesting he committed treason," Sullivan adds, further apologizing for his remarks in the prior session.

9:44 AM - 18 Dec 2018

Absolutely!!!

It's perfectly obvious to anyone with the level of knowledge and wisdom that you possess that someone who has been a judge since the days of Ronald Reagan has absolutely no knowledge of the law.

Those who are smarter than three day old road-kill might not agree with you, but who in your world cares about that?

The prosecutor wouldn't go there because he doesn't have a legitimate case, anyway.

Your, as usual, profound insights into the law are, as usual, received with their usual level of respect and admiration.

Because the Obama seeded Justice Department is full of crooks. Eric Holder openly protected Obama officials from prosecution and was the only AG to have ever been held in contemp of Congress

Keebler elf decided to recuse himself most unwisely

"Obama seeded Justice Department" is a great phrase. I see images of Obamaweeds struggling up to choke the Trump roses. But didn't Trump appoint the SDNY prosecutor?

Back
Top Bottom