• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge asks if Flynn's conduct is "treasonous activity"

Did you know I offered no opinion on whether Flynn would prevail only that it offered an appealable reason. The judge should have recused himself after he made comments about disgust and treason he clearly got his facts crossed.

When the Judge comes back with his sentence, you can be absolutely sure that his reasons will include something along the lines of

Earlier in these proceedings I made comments based on an inaccurate assessment of the actual facts. Counsel for both the Defence and Prosecution drew my attention to that inaccurate assessment and I have specifically taken care to ensure that my reasons for imposing the sentence that I shall impose are not in the least influenced by anything other than the specific statement of facts agreed to by both sides, the submissions of counsel, and the personal statements in mitigation made by General Flynn.

Your words not mine.

Yep, including the sarcasm indicating "right?".

PS - I will gladly rent you an apple box to stand on so not so many things go over your head.

Flynn wasn't a private citizen...
Yes, he was.

The Obama administration was in charge. Flynn was not working for the Obama administration. He did not receive orders from the President to undermine the President's own policies. He was not yet the National Security Advisor.

That's why Flynn lied to Pence, to the transition team, to Priebus, to the FBI, and to the DoJ. Flynn knew what he did was wrong, tried to cover it up, got caught, admitted it. It's over.

Wrong, one can commit perjury by signing a false sworn statement.
That's nice. It still doesn't apply to an interview with the FBI. They're different crimes.

I routinely spring "perjury traps" through the discovery process pre litigation. I request admissions and formulate special interrogatories which must be submitted under penalty of perjury, this is a simple statement at the bottom where the witness signs. The trap is sprung by having the evidence and then asking the witness to confirm.
That's not a "perjury trap." A "perjury trap" is specifically a type of misconduct, when a prosecutor puts someone on the stand, and coerces them into lying about something immaterial to the case, specifically so they can be charged with perjury. "Perjury traps" are like leprechauns or unicorns -- believed in by few, seen by none.

What you're doing is merely giving people rope. You didn't make them turn it into a noose and hang themselves. At least, I assume you're not accusing yourself of misconduct. :mrgreen:

Flynn says that's not what happened, but the facts we have suggest it could have....
The FBI did not coerce him into lying. Flynn chose to lie, because he was covering his own ass. And again, he wasn't under oath.

My concern is over ambiguity in the question not the answer. If Flynn was asked "did you talk to the Russian ambassador", and he said no, that's a lie, but if he was asked whether he spoke to the ambassador about sanctions Flynn could honestly answer "no" if he thought they meant the sanctions imposed for intervention in Ukraine or the Magnitske Act, he could also honestly answer "yes" if he thought they meant Obama's expulsion of 35 Russian 'diplomats'.
In the 302, the agents wrote that they specifically asked Flynn if he talked to Kislyak about:

• expulsion of diplomats in connection with Russian election hacking
• closure of Russian properties in connection etc
• tried to convince Russia not to escalate
• tried to convince Russia not to retaliate
• not to engage in a tit-for-tat response
• Russia already planning on a different response from the incoming administration

Flynn's responses were "no" "I don't remember" "it wasn't, 'don't do anything'" "probably not, because I didn't know the PNGs were going to happen" and that he did not have a "long drawn out conversation with Kislyak where he would have asked him him 'don't do something.'"

It was legal for Flynn to talk to Kislyak. If they discussed Christmas decorations, Flynn would be fine -- and would not have any need to lie. What Flynn did was undermine the Obama administration's policies, by trying to get Russia (via Kislyak) not to retaliate. He probably didn't think it would get him arrested, but he knew it would get him fired. That's why he lied not just to the FBI, but also to the transition team, to Pence, to Priebus, and on a DoJ form after the interview.

Last but not least: It should be obvious by now that if Flynn had plead not guilty and gone to trial, they would have charged him with numerous other crimes, including but certainly not limited to illegal lobbying for a foreign government. Flynn cooperated so much and so well with the prosecutors that even they were asking for no jail time. They charged him with lying to the FBI because it was a relatively light charge that was still reasonably serious, and doesn't require the prosecutors to tip their hand about other investigations.

As I've said elsewhere there's a Trump Hotel in this and there were bucks for Flynn too. More than one hotel for sure and more than just a buck for Flynn.

I like your imperative command btw. It makes me think you must be an autocrat of some sort but never mind and thx anyway.

The judge was inquiring of the prosecution as to what and which considerations and factors it pursued in investigating Flynn and in leveraging Flynn into a deal to include his admission plea of guilty. Guilty of a felony crime. As I also said elsewhere Flynn must lose his stars for his crime to which he pleaded guilty. The Uniform Code of Military Justice -- which I'm confident you are true to -- mandates it. Trump as CinC must sign it off however and it seems Trump has communicated to the Pentagon not to bother sending him the legal papers to complete.

Seeing how Flynn and his lawyers tried to throw sh!t at FBI with their court filing last week I can see how the judge might want to explore further Flynn's embedded pursuits and loyalties. After all it could be treason in the colloquial meaning of the word even if it's not treason in the denotative definition specified in the Constitution. We recall Flynn was loyal to the Constitution for a long time before he turned his coat inside out. And for money besides. It was Flynn's tormented way of exacting vengeance. So I'm one who doesn't aid or abet in that. Quite to the contrary in fact.

It wasn't treason or treasonous, the Judge had to be corrected and the Judge apologized after said apology.

Yes, he was.

The Obama administration was in charge. Flynn was not working for the Obama administration. He did not receive orders from the President to undermine the President's own policies. He was not yet the National Security Advisor.

That's why Flynn lied to Pence, to the transition team, to Priebus, to the FBI, and to the DoJ. Flynn knew what he did was wrong, tried to cover it up, got caught, admitted it. It's over.

Then, according to you, this is a perfect instance of a violation of the Logan Act, and yet ??

It's not my problem if you are unable to use a web browser.

A private citizen asking the Russian ambassador to hold off on retaliation for sanctions is illegal. Flynn knew it, tried to cover it up, got caught, admitted it. It's over.

Nope, total bull****. Obama has no legal or political responsibility to take cues on Russian sanctions from Trump. Nor is that even remotely what happened, unless you are now claiming that Obama knew about this and Trump thought the best/only option was to covertly instruct Flynn to violate federal law by asking Kislyak to hold off on retaliation and then lie about it. Flynn had a legal responsibility not to interfere. Flynn knew it, tried to cover it up, got caught, admitted it. It's over.

You can repeat the same unsupported claims and denials until your keyboard wears out, it can't change that we now know you got nothing. Broken links, unconstitutional and dead laws, mangled dates and participants, mindreading, evolving lurid narratives, and unsupported characterizations don't amount to a credible accusation of wrong doing - you should know that by now.

There is no evidence that Obama consulted with the incoming administration on sanctions, as would be customary. There is no evidence that Trump instructed Flynn to covertly "violate the law", or that he instructed Flynn to lie, or that Flynn had a legal obligation to not answer Kislyak's query. There is undisputed evidence, that AFTER the announced sanctions, the Visbek and Flynn talked and Flynn's efforts are why Russian did not retaliate - which is a good thing (except to Flynn haters).

That's irrelevant. Flynn knew what he did was wrong, tried to cover it up, got caught, admitted it. It's over.
Truth is never "over", except for those without integrity.

He was told. He knew he could have counsel, he chose not to do so. Flynn knew his rights, knew he did something wrong, tried to cover it up, got caught, admitted it. It's over.
He was also a victim of a clever (but likely legal) entrapment, a violation of FBI protocol and ethical purpose, for political reasons without any legal justification given the charge of the investigation. Whether he thought of himself as doing something wrong will always be undetermined because, he also clearly stated that he threw in the towel and plead out due to legal costs and protecting his son.

And it won't be over until every FBI and DOJ document relating to Flynn is exposed to the light of public and congressional review. It's a shame that Sullivan no longer functions with all his oars in the water, but those of us who only support Truth will never stop supporting full disclosure of the depredations of all prosecutors.

Among those documents hidden from public view:

#Mueller #SCO are still hiding
1.The original interview notes of #302 of 1/24 or 25
2. The internal worksheet to show who modified it all
4. DIA exculpatory evidence
5. Comey exculpatory testimony
6. And DESTROYED EVIDENCE incriminating #Strzok +

There is more to this travesty of politicization of the FBI, and all real Americans are supporting its exposure.

Last edited:
The Right isn't doing any better on this than they did with the dossier they spindled, folded, mutilated with nothing to show for it except for more of nothing.

The judge gave the turncoat Flynn a tongue lashing. Had the judge not convinced Flynn and his lawyers to come back again in 90 dayze Flynn would have got a legal flogging. Flynn's new mate would have been a cell one. The judge meanwhile make it clear Flynn may yet get sent to the Big House for his behaviors and his crimes.

There is more to this travesty of politicization of the FBI, and all real Americans are supporting its exposure.
Lynch chatting with Bill on the tarmac, Yates unmasking FISA warrants, unsubstantiated allegations in recurringly renewed FISA warrants, Comey's conclusions on Hillary's email investigation, the warrantless search and seizure of all media from Trump's transition team, Strzok and his mistress' scandalous conspiracy with McCabe's involvement, Comey's leaks to the press of classified information... its hard to keep track of it all. Critical lefties deride this criticism of the 'deep state', unfounded conspiracy theory, but what about all this evidence?

Making the connection may require some deeper analysis on your part.
No, I think you're making incorrect assumptions as to the origins of my thought & opinion.

No, I think you're making incorrect assumptions as to the origins of my thought & opinion.

There are those for whom "FOX News says ..." and "My conclusion is ..." have identical meanings.

Back
Top Bottom