• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge abolishes Trump-era restrictions on visas for skilled foreign workers

SNOWFLAKE

Crazy Canuck
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Rules restricting H-1B visas were found invalid because they were issued under a Department of Homeland Security acting secretary who was unlawfully appointed to the role.
OAKLAND, Calif. (CN) — A federal judge on Wednesday permanently abolished Trump-era changes to H-1B visa rules that businesses and universities complained would make it harder to hire and recruit highly skilled foreign workers and students.

Opens the door for more skilled labor, surely no one would complain about THAT? Would they? :oops:

Opens the door for more skilled labor, surely no one would complain about THAT? Would they? :oops:
We have to get our kids interested in the Trades.
right now there are industries begging for trades people and from what I have seen lately is most kids aren't interested
Plumbers are getting over 30 to 40 dollars an hour plus benefits
Electricians even more ( friend of mine paid over 70 a hour for a electrician working on the side because it was around 100 dollars an hour for a company to come in )
and Tool and die makers . carpenters are also in high demand
it is the way to encourage our kids to go
The jobs are out there and are going to be for awhile
have a nice night

Of course not! Everyone loves being forced to train their cheaper foreign replacements after being fired!! Why would anyone complain about that?

Nowadays American kids don't want to do physical work and get their hands dirty. Its all "coding" and whatever other stupid useless job while still living with mom and dad.

They come in, work for less, and displace our own techies. Other than that - no complaints at all. :rolleyes:

Probably just Biden doing a favor for the social media giants that hid Hunter's adventures and misadventures.
Not at my company. We have gone through dozens of DOL audits where they ask for H1B salary info. We pay them just like any other skilled worker.

Nowadays American kids don't want to do physical work and get their hands dirty. Its all "coding" and whatever other stupid useless job while still living with mom and dad.
I see that more and more
not only the younger ones but up into their 40's
and one more job that they are crying for is truck drivers
people with a CDL .can find jobs now all over the place
they need local delivery drivers . local truck drivers over the road drivers
Heck almost every school district around here is crying for school bus drivers
It can be a stressful job nut they are paying them well
but for some reason the kids now a days don't want these type of jobs
Have a nice night

Last edited:
I see that more and more
not only the younger ones but up into their 40's
and one more job that they are crying for is truck drivers
people with a CDL .can find jobs now all over the place
they need local delivery drivers . local truck drivers over the road drivers
Heck almost every school district around here is crying for school bus drivers
It can be a stressful job nut they are paying them well
but for some reason the kids now a days don't want these type of jobs
Have a nice night

Obtaining a CDL is a smart decision for anyone in any field. There is always a empty seat waiting on you if you get laid off from another job, or just want a change of scenery.

I am currently training 5 young people to drive low boys, dumps, and how to operate skid steers and excavators for a marine construction company. Two of them are college grads who's primary jobs are estimating, environmental studies, and permitting for the company. The 3 others previously worked as a cashier, residential construction, and Uber driver. They are doing pretty well considering that none of them have ever stood near a excavator or skid steer, never mind actually driving them onto a lowboy. After showing them the basics of the machines and all the safety issues, I let them tool around in a wide open lot for a couple days so they can get the feel of the machines. Then I teach how to load dumps, and drive the machinery onto the lowboys for chocking and chaining.

Starting pay is $19.75, and tops out at $24.50 per hour depending on versatility. Drivers that stick with the company also have the option to work with the barge crews as the designated CDL driver while picking up additional experience as pile drivers, doing layouts, and decking.

I didn't even want this job but the owner is a old friend who was in a bind.

We have one Class B driver going for his Class A CDL next week, and the Uber driver goes for his Class A the week after.

The hardest part of it all is Governor Northams bull shit DMV hours and getting the drivers permitted for on the road training.

They come in, work for less, and displace our own techies. Other than that - no complaints at all. :rolleyes:

Probably just Biden doing a favor for the social media giants that hid Hunter's adventures and misadventures.
a. Biden didn't make this ruling, a judge did
b. what the hell with bringing up Hunter again, when this topic has absolutely NOTHING to do with Hunter, oh yeah, a deflection - what a piss poor debate tactic and a laughable one too :rolleyes:

This thread reflects the total disconnect between trump nation and the world.

The OP talks about the H-1-B visa program being reinstated, a program that the tech giants have used for decades to attract the best Asian minds to the tech industry. For much of the last few years , ever since the departed regime shot us in the foot by cancelling this program, the best and the brightest have avoided our shores and either stayed home or gone to Canada, which is experiencing a minor tech jobs boom because of it.

What does trump nation talk about?

Plumbers, electricians and truck drivers.

One of those three occupations is going to be displaced by self driving vehicles sooner than most people think.

And nobody is going to use an H-1-B visa to do either of the other two.

Can't say I blame them completely.

While I support increased focus on the "trades", it isn't for everyone.

The trades can be brutal on a person over the course of a few years...depending on the trade of course.

Its great for the young but for older folks...not so much.

a. Biden didn't make this ruling, a judge did
And which DOJ took the case to court
b. what the hell with bringing up Hunter again, when this topic has absolutely NOTHING to do with Hunter, oh yeah, a deflection - what a piss poor debate tactic and a laughable one too :rolleyes:
It wasn't just "bringing up Hunter". A lot of high tech companies have been lobbying to get this restriction removed, so a quid pro quo seems likely. FauxJoe opened the foreign tech worker spigot in payment for social Media's burying Hunter's computer stories.

It wasn't just "bringing up Hunter". A lot of high tech companies have been lobbying to get this restriction removed, so a quid pro quo seems likely. FauxJoe opened the foreign tech worker spigot in payment for social Media's burying Hunter's computer stories.
not to ruin your day, but........

HUNTER BIDEN!
horror1.jpg

There is currently a shortage of domestic IT talent. That said, tech companies have also abused the H1B program. They will advertise for positions with skillset combinations they know that basically no one has and then when they can't fill a position they know they can't fill, they use it as an excuse to bring in cheaper H1Bs.

Ironic you mocked my debating skills and then drop this. Self-awareness not in your top ten personality traits, eh?
YOU brought up Hunter Biden, when this thread had NOTHING to do with Hunter Biden, so I just wanted to give you your fix. I am generous that way.

So once again with feeling:

HUNTER BIDEN!

horror1.jpg

Can't say I blame them completely.

While I support increased focus on the "trades", it isn't for everyone.

The trades can be brutal on a person over the course of a few years...depending on the trade of course.

Its great for the young but for older folks...not so much.
My dad has worked in a physical labour job for more than 30 years. He has a lot of back and knee pain now and it seems to get worse every year. Trades can take a very similar or even worse toll on people's bodies.

We have to get our kids interested in the Trades.
right now there are industries begging for trades people and from what I have seen lately is most kids aren't interested
Plumbers are getting over 30 to 40 dollars an hour plus benefits
Electricians even more ( friend of mine paid over 70 a hour for a electrician working on the side because it was around 100 dollars an hour for a company to come in )
and Tool and die makers . carpenters are also in high demand
it is the way to encourage our kids to go
The jobs are out there and are going to be for awhile
have a nice night
The thing is the younger generations are thinking about careers and entrepreneurship, not just jobs. I think the trades are a great way to go for those who are not interested in corporate life, or the responsibilities and risk of being business owners, but what we really need are technically skilled workers to help spur technological innovation. The challenge is making education less of a financial anchor, because our children will be competing against foreign workers who do not have the financial overhead our educated workers do.

Those kids doing "coding" probably make a hell of a lot more than you do. Well-educated jobs in business and tech are not low-paying. They are no less hard work than the trades.

My dad has worked in a physical labour job for more than 30 years. He has a lot of back and knee pain now and it seems to get worse every year. Trades can take a very similar or even worse toll on people's bodies.
Yeah. I see it a lot. I work in the trades but am fortunate to have fairly cushy trade job.

I see some of the old electricians etc working construction and many of them look like they were rode hard and put away wet.

Again, not knocking the trades; just saying they are not for everyone and long term viability is not always an option.

Those kids doing "coding" probably make a hell of a lot more than you do. Well-educated jobs in business and tech are not low-paying. They are no less hard work than the trades.
No one said coding or tech jobs didn't pay well. We are talking about the fact that we have to import workers from other countries to do the jobs American born people used to do. There is something wrong with that. Not to mention the outsourcing of work to other countries that used to be done here.

The thing is the younger generations are thinking about careers and entrepreneurship, not just jobs. I think the trades are a great way to go for those who are not interested in corporate life, or the responsibilities and risk of being business owners, but what we really need are technically skilled workers to help spur technological innovation. The challenge is making education less of a financial anchor, because our children will be competing against foreign workers who do not have the financial overhead our educated workers do.
Tech innovation is great, but unless that tech gets us to the point where plumbers, electricians, and construction workers are replaced by robots, we will always need those. And those trades are a GREAT route to owning your own business, ie; becoming a general contractor.

This thread reflects the total disconnect between trump nation and the world.

The OP talks about the H-1-B visa program being reinstated, a program that the tech giants have used for decades to attract the best Asian minds to the tech industry. For much of the last few years , ever since the departed regime shot us in the foot by cancelling this program, the best and the brightest have avoided our shores and either stayed home or gone to Canada, which is experiencing a minor tech jobs boom because of it.

What does trump nation talk about?

Plumbers, electricians and truck drivers.

One of those three occupations is going to be displaced by self driving vehicles sooner than most people think.

And nobody is going to use an H-1-B visa to do either of the other two.
"Tech" isn't the be-all, end-all of the world. A strong argument could be made that too much tech has not been good for society, ie; social media. Sure, AI may replace some human workers soon, but probably not most trades. And there is and will continue to be a shortage of those. And as the supply and demand market corrects, it will either start getting really expensive to hire a competent professional plumber or electrician, or we will start seeing a cottage industry of hacks passing themselves off as those, and we will then be seeing shoddy work everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom