• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge’s personal life debated after gay ruling

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
“Here we have an openly gay federal judge, according to the San Francisco Chronicle, substituting his views for those of the American people and of our Founding Fathers who, I promise you, would be shocked by courts that imagine they have the right to put gay marriage in our Constitution,” said Maggie Gallagher, chairwoman of The National Organization for Marriage, a group that helped fund the ban, known as Proposition 8.

Cant call him a Communist (he has a Conservative/Libertarian record)

Cant call him an Affirmative Action appointee (he's white)

So they go for accusing him of being gay, although the terrorist option is still open.

Judge’s personal life debated after gay ruling | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

Cant call him a Communist (he has a Conservative/Libertarian record)

Cant call him an Affirmative Action appointee (he's white)

So they go for accusing him of being gay, although the terrorist option is still open.

Judge’s personal life debated after gay ruling | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

Not to mention the fact that his first nomination to the position was stopped because he was "anti-gay." the man put a $97,000 lien on the house of a gay man dying of AIDS.

I listened to Limbaugh and he said the Judge is gay. Like it was a fact. Hannity too. I should have known they were stretching the truth.

/facepalm

So instead of finding intelligent arguments against the Judges ruling, the hard right calls him gay.

How could such a strategy fail?

I dont see what is to be gained by attacking the judge.

I've read that he's actually openly gay, but regardless of whether that is true his history of decisions proves he is not biased on the subject and the decision he wrote on Prop 8 is bulletproof.

I think it is well documented that the judge is gay....He should of reclused himself because he had a dog in the fight........

I think it is well documented that the judge is gay....He should of reclused himself because he had a dog in the fight........
Can you prove that he's gay? Or are you just resorting to school-yard tactics and calling him names?

Say they brought the Patriot Act to the court. Say the judge was a hardcore right wing fascist and ruled that overturning the Patriot Act is unconstitutional for x reason. The point is, a federal judge who happens to be gay, has ruled that it's unconstitutional to define marriage that excludes homosexual unions. Do opponents to the ruling not a have a legitimate reason for being skeptical of this?

We're all biased, that's why the liberal principle of individual sovereignty is such a beauty.

The only way he "had a dog in the fight" is if he was wanting to marry some one of the same gender. You have, of course, some evidence of that. Come on Navy, just once you can prove a claim you make. Just once you can back up what you say.

To hear some tell it, straights have a dog in the fight too. Are there any eunich judges?

The only way he "had a dog in the fight" is if he was wanting to marry some one of the same gender. You have, of course, some evidence of that. Come on Navy, just once you can prove a claim you make. Just once you can back up what you say.

You know that dog don't bark.

To hear Navy tell it, Christians have a dog in the fight, so we better find us an atheist judge.

But atheists have a dog in the fight because they want to destroy Christianity apparently.

But atheists have a dog in the fight because they want to destroy Christianity apparently.

And Muslims are just like Christians. So we need a Buddhist judge!

What difference does it make if he's gay? Straight judges rule on issues all the time regarding straight people.

This is like bashing the judge that overturned the drilling ban because he had investments. Attack the issue, not the judge. Any bias he might have will be easily determined at the Supreme Court level anyway.

What difference does it make if he's gay? Straight judges rule on issues all the time regarding straight people.

This is like bashing the judge that overturned the drilling ban because he had investments. Attack the issue, not the judge. Any bias he might have will be easily determined at the Supreme Court level anyway.

I laughed at that complaint too. At least I am consistent.

I think people making the "biased judge" argument should really think it through a little better:

1) Judge is gay, therefore is biased on a gay marriage decision because the decision affects him.
This leads to the question: So, why is a straight judge not going to be biased?
2) A straight judge is not affected by the decision, so is not inherently biased on the issue.
Of course, that just confirms the statement:
3) Straight people are not affected by a gay marriage decision.

Wait. If straight people are not affected... wouldn't that invalidate the idea that gay marriage damages the sanctity of marriage, thereby torpedoing the case against gay marriage? Prop 8's defense was inept, but they weren't stupid. There's a reason they never brought up this point before the trial.

Why does a gay judge "have a dog in the fight" and a straight judge doesn't? That is an illogical argument.

Interesting how Judge Walker was initially a Reagan appointee, isn't it?

Interesting how Judge Walker was initially a Reagan appointee, isn't it?

And worked against gay interests...

Oh wait, we shouldn't let facts get in the way of their rant.

Back
Top Bottom