• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Joshua Tree National Park to close amid shutdown due to overflowing toilets

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...ark-to-close-amid-shutdown-due-to-overflowing

Campgrounds at California's Joshua Tree National Park will close Wednesday as a result of the partial government shutdown, which left the park without sanitation workers to clean and empty pit toilets.

"The park is being forced to take this action for health and safety concerns as vault toilets reach capacity," the National Park Service wrote in a statement. "In addition to human waste in public areas, driving off road and other infractions that damage the resource are becoming a problem.
================================================
Unintended consequences, or plunging the country into deep s**t over a campaign pledge. This should distract the masses from the crimes & investigations swirling around the WH.

Last edited:
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...ark-to-close-amid-shutdown-due-to-overflowing

Campgrounds at California's Joshua Tree National Park will close Wednesday as a result of the partial government shutdown, which left the park without sanitation workers to clean and empty pit toilets.

"The park is being forced to take this action for health and safety concerns as vault toilets reach capacity," the National Park Service wrote in a statement. "In addition to human waste in public areas, driving off road and other infractions that damage the resource are becoming a problem.
I knew that Republicans are anal retentive but this is taking things to an extreme.

Maybe, if CA was not so broke, CA could pitch in and pay these 'non-essential' federal workers to work during their (sure to be) paid vacations. Those functions normally done by contractors, who are otherwise idle and thus unpaid, could also be funded by CA. CA, which has no problem asking for federal assistance during tough times, could return the favor.

Unintended consequences, or plunging the country into deep s**t over a campaign pledge. This should distract the masses from the crimes & investigations swirling around the WH.

Being that I used to live in joshua tree which was next to the joshua tree national park, I never knew the area as anything but an overflowing toilet anyways. Only national park where you can hit the high grounds and watch the meth labs blowing up in the distance, such beutiful scenery.

"Overflowing with ****" seems to be a reoccurring theme in California, whether it be in the streets of San Francisco or a California-based national park.

lack of sanitation is closing camping areas in yosemite, too

lack of sanitation is closing camping areas in yosemite, too

I'm sure the trumpsters who support 5 deferment cadet fake bone spurs will have something negative to say about that as well.

Being that I used to live in joshua tree which was next to the joshua tree national park, I never knew the area as anything but an overflowing toilet anyways. Only national park where you can hit the high grounds and watch the meth labs blowing up in the distance, such beutiful scenery.

It's not the cops who find meth labs. It's the firemen who show up to put out the fires they cause, usually in homes, trailers & out buildings.

It's not the cops who find meth labs. It's the firemen who show up to put out the fires they cause, usually in homes, trailers & out buildings.

Joshua tree for many years was at the heart of meth country, when I lived there most of the population was meth heads, meth producers, cowboys and retired people. Nowadays meth is even made in urban areas but for a long tme they made it heavily in the desert of joshua tree, landers, barstow, lucerne valley etc because it was so remote police would not find it until the mix went wrong.

I remember sitting on the front porch and every few days a boom followed by a cloud of black smoke followed by a news report on a meth lab explosion.

At the end of the day this is yet another demonstration of how America so often does not work anymore.

We used to be better.

Because it's a national resource, it's difficult to limit access via price. I guess put a cap on visitors and first come first served, and maybe reservations. Bottom line gotta be less people.

10x the price would probably attract half the people (for 5x profit), but excluding the poor from state or national parks seems wrong.

Because it's a national resource, it's difficult to limit access via price. I guess put a cap on visitors and first come first served, and maybe reservations. Bottom line gotta be less people.

10x the price would probably attract half the people (for 5x profit), but excluding the poor from state or national parks seems wrong.

Why? Where is it a right of poor people to access a national park? Most of the poor don’t even visit anyway. It’s purely a set of private reserves for the Bourgeois anyway

I think the parks should be privatized, make the actual users pay for them

Why? Where is it a right of poor people to access a national park? Most of the poor don’t even visit anyway. It’s purely a set of private reserves for the Bourgeois anyway

Do you mean that the people of the US, the citizens, shoudn't actually own any of their country except as private property? Maybe one day you and Theodore Roosevelt can have a discussion on the subject.

Why? Where is it a right of poor people to access a national park?

National and State Parks are the property of the people. It's our heritage. We preserve it for future generations.

It's anyone's right to visit national treasures. I suppose there ought be some cost.

Most of the poor don’t even visit anyway. It’s purely a set of private reserves for the Bourgeois anyway

Bougie means living upper class purely from capital; no need to work. Land or otherwise capital wealth.

Visiting a Park is relatively cheap. It's a middle class vacation. Rich people use helicopters. It's not a safari in Africa. It's a haul in the station wagon and a tent.

I'm generally for privatization but we need to consider we're selling the property of everyone and excluding access to national property based on class seems awful.

Last edited:
Do you mean that the people of the US, the citizens, shoudn't actually own any of their country except as private property? Maybe one day you and Theodore Roosevelt can have a discussion on the subject.

When Theodore Roosevelt first proposed national parks they were strictly limited. Now the government wants to steal more land and declare a new national park every year, user fees have not kept up with inflation, the land is poorly managed, and the demographics who visit it are all upper middle income whites who don’t need to be subsidized. If the national parks were devolved o the Forest Service for resource management, logging, mining, hunting, etc there would be plenty of open land for people to go look at a tree and we would save billions

When Theodore Roosevelt first proposed national parks they were strictly limited. Now the government wants to steal more land and declare a new national park every year,

In what world?

A reason Gore lost was the Clinton admin's lip service to preservation and conservation in a handful of national monuments amounting to a couple acres.

In what world?

A reason Gore lost was the Clinton admin's lip service to preservation and conservation in a handful of national monuments amounting to a couple acres.

Well they’ve gotten smarter, now they just declare “wilderness” or “wild and scenic rivers” or “national monuments”

Much to the detriment of people who actually live next to this land

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well they’ve gotten smarter, now they just declare “wilderness” or “wild and scenic rivers” or “national monuments”

Much to the detriment of people who actually live next to this land

I don't think so. Examples?

In what world?

The reason gore lost is the same reason Hillary lost. They were both ****ty candidates

Maybe, if CA was not so broke, CA could pitch in and pay these 'non-essential' federal workers to work during their (sure to be) paid vacations. Those functions normally done by contractors, who are otherwise idle and thus unpaid, could also be funded by CA. CA, which has no problem asking for federal assistance during tough times, could return the favor.

California's taxpayers have paid more in federal taxes than they got back in federal spending for decades. Why should they now further bail out the federal government just because our toddler for a president chose to shutdown the federal government?

When Theodore Roosevelt first proposed national parks they were strictly limited. Now the government wants to steal more land and declare a new national park every year, user fees have not kept up with inflation, the land is poorly managed, and the demographics who visit it are all upper middle income whites who don’t need to be subsidized. If the national parks were devolved o the Forest Service for resource management, logging, mining, hunting, etc there would be plenty of open land for people to go look at a tree and we would save billions

Thank God hardly anyone agrees with you.

Huh. How oddly delusional.

Thank God hardly anyone agrees with you.

Well of course you’re thankful for that, the public is subsidizing your hobbies at great expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason gore lost is the same reason Hillary lost. They were both ****ty candidates

A few hundred of us in the Environmental Department at Florida International University, Miami-Dade County, decided we'd had enough of the Dem's lip service to environmental issues. Sure, Gore talked a good game. He talked a lot, but what had he and Clinton done? Nothing. A measly handful of monuments? **** them. We were sick of having smoke blown up our ass.

We refused to "swap votes" with people in other states. We refused to help organize buses and such for students. We were hundreds. We voted Green. Suck it, Dems.

With the end of the recount, Bush won Florida by a margin of 0.009%, or 537 votes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_United_States_presidential_election

Miami-Dade County.

Last edited:

I suspect you have not worked for one of the Federal Land Management Agencies.

Question for you. How is privatizing National Parks going to improve the resource management of that land?
What you fail to understand is the Parks belong to every citizen. Once sold we would never get it back.
You are pretty short sighted in your views.

So you can get the experience of Yosemite AND San Fransisco in one vacation getaway....nice.

Back
Top Bottom