• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Joseph Smith Conviction - Death Penalty

debate_junkie said:
Wow, aren't we a little touchy. I don't recall saying "afr0byte YOUR standard arguments against the death penalty are....." I DO recall speaking in general that THE standard arguments against the death penalty are....

If you take that as my telling you what your arguments are, is that a problem of mine? I don't think so.

But in debate, there has to be a topic. I laid out 2 points upon said topic, and you took it personally. Nice of you to debate, and not whine. :roll:

Well, I wasn't whining, but OK. But, you're right, I probably shouldn't have assumed you were implying anything.

afr0byte said:
Well, I wasn't whining, but OK. But, you're right, I probably shouldn't have assumed you were implying anything.

Nor did you address the points at hand. Imagine that.

debate_junkie said:
Nor did you address the points at hand. Imagine that.

Well, you can stop insulting me. Anyways, I don't disagree that he admitted guilt in this case, and therefore I don't disagree on argument B. As for argument A, well I don't think we should selectively decide who's allowed to appeal, but it's not an argument I'd generally use for a specific case like this.

afr0byte said:
Well, you can stop insulting me. Anyways, I don't disagree that he admitted guilt in this case, and therefore I don't disagree on argument B. As for argument A, well I don't think we should selectively decide who's allowed to appeal, but it's not an argument I'd generally use for a specific case like this.

Is it selectively deciding who gets to appeal? He's admitted to the crime.. what is there to appeal, exactly?

Selectively would be me, walking down death row saying.. ok.. You get to appeal, you don't. You look innocent, ok you appeal. I'm not saying that at all. I asked, since he's admitted his guilt... what is there to appeal?

debate_junkie said:
Is it selectively deciding who gets to appeal? He's admitted to the crime.. what is there to appeal, exactly?

Selectively would be me, walking down death row saying.. ok.. You get to appeal, you don't. You look innocent, ok you appeal. I'm not saying that at all. I asked, since he's admitted his guilt... what is there to appeal?

The sentence of death.

afr0byte said:
The sentence of death.

LOL the only way a death sentence is overturned is IF.. new evidence comes to light that warrants a new trial, or a state abolishes the death penalty. There CAN be no new evidence to come to light... and I don't see Florida abolishing the death penatly anytime soon.. so again.. what CAN he appeal, when he's admitted to his crimes, and KNOWS that in a capital case, the sentence of death can and most often times WILL be handed down?

debate_junkie said:
LOL the only way a death sentence is overturned is IF.. new evidence comes to light that warrants a new trial, or a state abolishes the death penalty. There CAN be no new evidence to come to light... and I don't see Florida abolishing the death penatly anytime soon.. so again.. what CAN he appeal, when he's admitted to his crimes, and KNOWS that in a capital case, the sentence of death can and most often times WILL be handed down?

The idea of the death penalty. Whatever.

debate_junkie said:
That's the best you have... whatever? :doh

Not really in the mood for debating is all. Tired from school. Besides, I never would have used the two arguments you posited as "standard" in the first place.

Hmm. I think that Joeseph Smith shouldn't be executed, cause I think that would be morally wrong.

The Pi Pirate said:
Hmm. I think that Joeseph Smith shouldn't be executed, cause I think that would be morally wrong.

Well like you liberals always tell the religeous right don't lay your morals on us......

Navy Pride said:
Well like you liberals always tell the religeous right don't lay your morals on us......

Question...are your reasons for supporting the death penalty religious?

The Pi Pirate said:

And Smith's crimes weren't morally wrong? :confused: :confused:

debate_junkie said:
And Smith's crimes weren't morally wrong? :confused: :confused:

That doesn't necessarily make it morally right to kill him.

afr0byte said:

Wow, so he rapes and murders a little girl. You agree that's morally wrong. But yet, it's morally wrong to punish him to the fullest extent of the law? :confused:

debate_junkie said:
Wow, so he rapes and murders a little girl. You agree that's morally wrong. But yet, it's morally wrong to punish him to the fullest extent of the law? :confused:

Yes, it's wrong to kill him.

afr0byte said:

Do you not think that people should not be punished for what they've done? Does him killing another human being seem morally right to you, but executing him so he wont ever do another morally wrong ever again offend your morals?

Ryuken said:
Do you not think that people should not be punished for what they've done? Does him killing another human being seem morally right to you, but executing him so he wont ever do another morally wrong ever again offend your morals?

I didn't say he shouldn't punished, only that he shouldn't be killed. Obviously it was not morally right for him to kill another person. Finally, yes it obviously does "offend" my morals since I don't think we should kill him.

afr0byte said:

Again you liberals are always saying that people on the right are forcing their morals on you...Why are you trying to force your morals on us?

@np

No. If I were forcing my morals on you, it would be more like "you need to not support the death penalty for him, or else you're unamerican." In fact, I just don't think he should be. But I'm not "forcing" them on you.

Forcing them on you would be like saying "People who support the death penalty can't get married."

The Pi Pirate said:
@np

No. If I were forcing my morals on you, it would be more like "you need to not support the death penalty for him, or else you're unamerican." In fact, I just don't think he should be. But I'm not "forcing" them on you.

Forcing them on you would be like saying "People who support the death penalty can't get married."

I wasn't talking to you but if you say its morally wrong to fry this scumbag and I don't believe that then you are forcing your morals on me.....

I wasn't talking to you but if you say its morally wrong to fry this scumbag and I don't believe that then you are forcing your morals on me.....

That is just proposterous.

I disagree with you... and so I'm forcing my morals on YOU? How about you think its morally right to, and I don't believe you, are you forcing your morals on me? Of course not!

Is it morally right to tell the family they get to support the person who raped and took their little girl away for the rest of his natural life?
it is morally right that they get to help pay for the three square meals a day, roof over his head, entertainment, books, medical care, and many other things for rest of joseph smith's life?

afr0byte said:
Yes, it's wrong to kill him.

Nevermind that he's broken the law, and being punished to the fullest extent of said law. Nevermind that the citizenry of the United States knows a possible penalty for murder IS the death penalty. Nevermind, Joseph Smith knew this and INTENTIONALLY broke the law.

Seems to me you're advocating lawlessness. The death penalty IS the rule of law, whether you like it or not. He is going to die, and that is that.

By the way, I've seen nothing but things like "it's morally wrong to kill him." " the death penalty is wrong" and that's about it. Have you anything to add to the debate besides anti death penalty talking points, which most of us know, anyway?

Back
Top Bottom