• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Joseph Smith Conviction - Death Penalty

afr0byte said:
Well, certainly the second argument would be served by life in prison. As far as satisfaction for the family, that sounds like bloodlust to me.

Well their daughter, who by the way would have turned 14 today, is dead..I think any REASONABLE human being can understand their bloodlust for the dingleberry that snuffed out her existence.

afr0byte said:
Btw, someone had said in this thread said that the death penalty is cheaper, but it's not.

If they did not wait until 25 years later to execute someone it proably would not cost so much.Although if you consider the value of the dollar vs total cost of imprisoning someone over 45 years it proably evens out.

Navy Pride said:
afr0byte said:
Ok, well we're probably not going to agree on whether it's right for the state to kill him, but what purpose does it serve other than revenge?
Satisfaction for the family and the knowledge that this scum of the earth will never rape and murder another child..........

Which is possible through other methods.

debate_junkie said:
Well their daughter, who by the way would have turned 14 today, is dead..I think any REASONABLE human being can understand their bloodlust for the dingleberry that snuffed out her existence.

It is completely understandable, what we are talking about is if we should allow people to indulge in this blood-lust or revenge.

-Demosthenes- said:
First of all I greatly appreciate your honest attempt to communicate.

I rather think that my reason is much different than afr0byte's. I don't think he should die because simply there is no reason to do so, there would be nothing accomplished that couldn't be done using other methods.

Other methods hmmm...like what, torture? Prison? PAROLE? He should die so he can't ever do something like that again. Anything but death allows him to do so, there is no other method.

Ryuken said:
Other methods hmmm...like what, torture? Prison? PAROLE? He should die so he can't ever do something like that again. Anything but death allows him to do so, there is no other method.

Life in Prison does.

afr0byte said:
Well, certainly the second argument would be served by life in prison. As far as satisfaction for the family, that sounds like bloodlust to me.

That is easy for you to say.It was not your daughter who was raped and murdered...

-Demosthenes- said:
Life in Prison does.

You want to give him what he begged for huh? which is hope.........He deserves no hope.....

Navy Pride said:
That is easy for you to say.It was not your daughter who was raped and murdered...

If afr0byte can't judge objectively because of this, then neither can you.

Navy Pride said:
You want to give him what he begged for huh? which is hope.........He deserves no hope.....

What he begged for is irrelevant. Another mean-nothing post.

-Demosthenes- said:
If afr0byte can't judge objectively because of this, then neither can you.

What he begged for is irrelevant. Another mean-nothing post.

The difference in you and I is I admit I can not judge this objectively...........

Mean nothing huh, This animal begged for life in prison and you feel sorry for him and want to give him what he wants..........

Thank God the judge is not a bleeding heart liberal........

This is a rather big post, so I am putting in skim marks, where if you wish, you may skim.

BEGIN SKIMMING IF YOU DESIRE

A large percentage of Navy Pride's posts, with numbers of mine attached:

Who died and made you boss?: Because you feel so sorry for this scumbag does not make mean my post is irrelevent.........

There is a huge difference that you liberals can't see.........Smith committed a hideous crime...........He raped and murdered a 11 year old girl.......The innocent, defrenseless baby in the womb which you have no compassion for did not commit any crime...........

If you feel so sorry for him then get the law changed..........I have yet to hear one word of compassion from you for the poor little girl that was raped and murdered....

You have compassion for a murderer and rapist.........I have none

You have no compassion for a 11 year old girl who was raped and murdered.......It tears my heart out to think of it........

You want to pamper a murderer and rapist and give him what he was begging for.........I want to fry his sorry *** and wish I could pull the switch......

You got that right my friend and do it on national TV so all the bleeding hearts can watch it and I will pull the switch to fry the bastard!!!!!Anyone who would do that to and 11 year old girl does not deserve to live.........

I can tell you bleeding hearts I have a 13 year old graddaughter and God forbid if that SOB did that to her they would not have to worry about executing him because some how some way I would do it myself.......Now put that in your pipe and smoke it.....

I saw the movie "The Green Mile" awhile back it was about a death row prison in the thirties and it showed how old sparky use to work........It would actually fry the scum bags and sometimes they had to pull the switch 3 or 4 times until the scum was burned to a crisp.........That is what Jospeh Smith needs.........

Now its about time to get away from my computer for a few minutes as my friend Pacridge told me to do because I am about ready to blow a gasket reading some of the drivel that is being posted here...........

It was graphic but sometime that is the only way you can get through to the far left liberals........

I know the truth hurts but if being graphic can get through to you "feel Good Libs" so be it............I guess the old saying that the truth hurts applies......

It would be cheaper if you executed the scum in 2 years instead of having to wait 25 years.............

Satisfaction for the family and the knowledge that this scum of the earth will never rape and murder another child..........

The difference in you and I is I admit I can not judge this objectively...........

Mean nothing huh, This animal begged for life in prison and you feel sorry for him and want to give him what he wants..........

Thank God the judge is not a bleeding heart liberal........
END SKIMMING HERE

OK Navy Pride, let's look at this. ALL THESE POSTS (and there are a few I left out) fall in to one of a few categories. If you feel I have left an important one out, please quote it at me with your response to my responses (which are back there a ways, I think you ignored them, but if you look, you'll find them.)

1) Bashing liberals. Seriously - I don't go around saying "conservatives are jerkfaces" do I? No! I'm trying to have REASONABLE DEBATE. This site is called "debatepolitics.com" not "callnames.com". Please try to remember that. Just because our views differ doesn't mean one is less valid than the other - as long as we both use REASONING and LOGIC.

2) "You just feel sorry for him." As I rebutted. Twice. And to neither of my rebuttals do you have rejoinders.

3) "He's a scumbag, he should fry." Which I, and many, have addressed. And you have not addressed us back.

Ehh... please try to DEBATE instead of repeating the same talking points over and over? I'd love to have a real discussion with you. Debate means you say a point, I counter it, you counter it, I counter it, etc, until maybe we reach a comparision. Not you say a point, i counter it, you say it again, etc.

The Pi Pirate said:
This is a rather big post, so I am putting in skim marks, where if you wish, you may skim.

BEGIN SKIMMING IF YOU DESIRE

A large percentage of Navy Pride's posts, with numbers of mine attached:

END SKIMMING HERE

OK Navy Pride, let's look at this. ALL THESE POSTS (and there are a few I left out) fall in to one of a few categories. If you feel I have left an important one out, please quote it at me with your response to my responses (which are back there a ways, I think you ignored them, but if you look, you'll find them.)

1) Bashing liberals. Seriously - I don't go around saying "conservatives are jerkfaces" do I? No! I'm trying to have REASONABLE DEBATE. This site is called "debatepolitics.com" not "callnames.com". Please try to remember that. Just because our views differ doesn't mean one is less valid than the other - as long as we both use REASONING and LOGIC.

2) "You just feel sorry for him." As I rebutted. Twice. And to neither of my rebuttals do you have rejoinders.

3) "He's a scumbag, he should fry." Which I, and many, have addressed. And you have not addressed us back.

Ehh... please try to DEBATE instead of repeating the same talking points over and over? I'd love to have a real discussion with you. Debate means you say a point, I counter it, you counter it, I counter it, etc, until maybe we reach a comparision. Not you say a point, i counter it, you say it again, etc.

I just calls em as I see em.........Sorry if the truth hurts......This subject strikes a chord with me and tears at my heart for this young girl who's life was snuffed out by some animal for his sexual satisfaction.......I grieve along with this young girls family and it boggles my mind that people like you can have sympathy for such a low life......

It doesn't surprise me though.......

Oh and in the future please attack the topic and not the messenger.......Thanks......

-Demosthenes- said:
Which is possible through other methods.

It is completely understandable, what we are talking about is if we should allow people to indulge in this blood-lust or revenge.

So let me get this straight... the family of a murdered VICTIM wants blood-lust and/or revenge.. and you're trying to decide to allow them how to feel? Wow, I didn't know I, or any other family, who's had a member of our clan murdered needed your approval to feel such. :roll:

debate_junkie said:
So let me get this straight... the family of a murdered VICTIM wants blood-lust and/or revenge.. and you're trying to decide to allow them how to feel? Wow, I didn't know I, or any other family, who's had a member of our clan murdered needed your approval to feel such. :roll:

Certainly they have the right to feel how they want to feel, but we shouldn't make decisions of life or death based on emotion.

Navy Pride said:
I just calls em as I see em.........Sorry if the truth hurts......This subject strikes a chord with me and tears at my heart for this young girl who's life was snuffed out by some animal for his sexual satisfaction.......I grieve along with this young girls family and it boggles my mind that people like you can have sympathy for such a low life......

It doesn't surprise me though.......

Oh and in the future please attack the topic and not the messenger.......Thanks......

*Yawn* Speaking of attacking the messanger...

afr0byte said:
Certainly they have the right to feel how they want to feel, but we shouldn't make decisions of life or death based on emotion.

People create life everyday.. based on emotion... if they felt nothing for someone.. would they have sex with them? Give me a physical break. So it's ok to create life, based on emotion, just don't take away life based on emotion? Even if it is the life of the lowest scum of the earth, who RAPED and MURDERED a 12 year old girl?

debate_junkie said:
People create life everyday.. based on emotion... if they felt nothing for someone.. would they have sex with them? Give me a physical break. So it's ok to create life, based on emotion, just don't take away life based on emotion? Even if it is the life of the lowest scum of the earth, who RAPED and MURDERED a 12 year old girl?

Nice, I didn't have to argue.

afr0byte said:
Nice, I didn't have to argue.

How can you argue? You were just shown the fallacy of your argument. After all it was you who said that "life or death decisions should not be made based on emotion" (paraphrased, before your panties bunch)

debate_junkie said:
How can you argue? You were just shown the fallacy of your argument. After all it was you who said that "life or death decisions should not be made based on emotion" (paraphrased, before your panties bunch)

Sorry, but I wear boxers, not panties. Anyways, the point of my last post was that I agree, we shouldn't kill him even if he did rape and muder someone (Even though I know you didn't actually mean that when you said it).

afr0byte said:
Sorry, but I wear boxers, not panties. Anyways, the point of my last post was that I agree, we shouldn't kill him even if he did rape and muder someone (Even though I know you didn't actually mean that when you said it).

Well then I hope you never have to experience anything similar to what Carlie Brucia's family has had to endure. That's all I'm going to say on the subject.

debate_junkie said:
Well then I hope you never have to experience anything similar to what Carlie Brucia's family has had to endure. That's all I'm going to say on the subject.

I hope I don't have to either.

afr0byte said:

They are not making decisions on emotion, they are making them on the law!!!!!

Navy Pride said:
They are not making decisions on emotion, they are making them on the law!!!!!

Yes, but it seemed like you were largely saying the law was OK based on emotion.

afr0byte said:
Yes, but it seemed like you were largely saying the law was OK based on emotion.

I am sure there is some emotion based on the judges decision..That is why families of the victim testify at the penalty phase of the trial but still with everything weighed there are certain penalties that can be levied.......

Let me just establish someone. Does anyone "feel sorry for" Joeseph Smith?

*crickets*

OK. That's established. Great. Now, does anyone think that we shouldn't kill him?

*large quantites of people raising hand*

Alright. So let's quit it with the "you feel sorry for <x>" thing ok? Thanks. Let me say that again.

I don't "feel sorry" for Joeseph Smith - I think he deserves to spend the rest of his life locked up in jail, safely away from society. I am not "giving in" to him either. I don't care what he says - if he begged for death, I wouldn't give it to him. If someone begs for death and you give it to him, aren't you "giving in?"

And N.P. I wasn't attacking you, just asking you to engage in debate. That's all.

Alright. On this: I don't think we should execute folks. Here is why

*It is irreversible. 11% of those sentenced to death row get released. That's waaay to high.

*In /my/ moral system, it is unethical to kill anyone outside of war.

I don't "feel sorry" for Joeseph Smith - I think he deserves to spend the rest of his life locked up in jail,

If you don't feel sorry for him why the hell do you want to give him what he is begging for? You just don't make any sense..........

Back
Top Bottom