• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Joseph Smith Conviction - Death Penalty

afr0byte said:
Currently, yes, but are we not talking about whether it's right for him to be killed? The whole point of this debate is to discuss whether these laws are correct or not.

If you feel so sorry for him then get the law changed..........I have yet to hear one word of compassion from you for the poor little girl that was raped and murdered....

-Demosthenes- said:
How am I a partisan liberal?
I don't conform to either ideology, and I think that most intelligent people would avoid both partisan beliefs also.

We know.

Laws, he gets what he wants... and Osama is smiling because we might get rid of capital punishment.

I understand what you are saying. I just don't think that it has... any substance at all.

As far as I am concerned as long as Navy Pride keeps spewing partisan cliches without responding to the arguments of either side he's bound to win :p

Navy Pride makes me miss James Rage.

As far as I am concerned as long as Navy Pride keeps spewing partisan cliches without responding to the arguments of either side he's bound to win :p

Navy Pride makes me miss James Rage.

Why don't you quit talking about me and talk about the debate my liberal friend?:confused:

Navy Pride said:
Why don't you quit talking about me and talk about the debate my liberal friend?:confused:

You refuse to address any of the arguments. What are you afraid of?

-Demosthenes- said:
You refuse to address any of the arguments. What are you afraid of?

I have addressed them........I disagree with everything you say....

You have compassion for a murderer and rapist.........I have none

You have no compassion for a 11 year old girl who was raped and murdered.......It tears my heart out to think of it........

You want to pamper a murderer and rapist and give him what he was begging for.........I want to fry his sorry *** and wish I could pull the switch......

Case closed....................

afr0byte said:
Presumably, you think the same is the case for a fetus. Whether a death row inmate wants to die or not has no bearing on whether it's right or wrong to kill them.

As far as I am concerned it is right to execute murderers and child rapists.

Children/babies are innocent and therefore do not deserve death,they deserve to be able to live,grow up, make their own choices,make a few harmless mistakes and go through life's challenges just like the rest of us get to do.They do not deserve to be exterminated becasue their mother is a selfish ****(the C-word).

@navypride:

And I have addressed your addresses, and you have failed to address them. Allow me to repeat.

I have compassion for every human being. I'm aware that what he did was a bad thing - and among other things, I'm sorry for whatever is wrong in his brain that would make him commit horendous acts.

You have no compassion for a 11 year old girl who was raped and murdered.......It tears my heart out to think of it........
You are mischaracterizing our position, this is called a strawman argument. OF COURSE we don't just sit here, callous, thinking "oh, ho hum, another 11 year old was killed, say, George, what's on the picture-tube?" The fact that she hasn't been mentioned... she's dead. That's a horrible truth, but the truth. This guy is not dead yet, and as such maybe we can still prevent the preventably loss of human life.

You want to pamper a murderer and rapist and give him what he was begging for.........I want to fry his sorry *** and wish I could pull the switch......
No, I want him to sit in jail for the rest of his life. Ever. I'm not "giving in" to anything. See my previous post (which, by all signs, you didn't read) for more on this.

@jamesrage:

Children/babies are innocent and therefore do not deserve death,they deserve to be able to live,grow up, make their own choices,make a few harmless mistakes and go through life's challenges just like the rest of us get to do.They do not deserve to be exterminated becasue their mother is a selfish ****(the C-word).

Hmm. Well, you say "it is right to execute murders and child rapists" and I say "it not right to execute persons convicted of any crime."... this is just a difference in moral standpoints, I think, a difference in axioms.

The only thing I can say is, what if, by some off chance, he isn't the right guy? Or, in the general case, we don't always know - between 1973 and 2005, 122 people were released from death row because they were innocent. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_debate). Since 1976 (closest data I found), 944 people were executed(http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0760750.html). This means that AT LEAST 11% of our death sentences have been wrong. I don't like that at all.

How many were executed, wrongly, that we don't know about? We will probably never know.

Navy Pride said:

Case closed....................

Finally, someone who thinks like I do. I want him to be executed too...theres only a small chance that hed be killed in prison by other in-mates because of what he did...it usually does happen in cases like this, where someone murders young children and rapes them (expecially girls). But to be sure, lets just execute him. I don't have any compassion either...some people would rather live a life in prison than die.

Navy Pride said:
If you feel so sorry for him then get the law changed..........I have yet to hear one word of compassion from you for the poor little girl that was raped and murdered....

Actually, I said in the very beginning that I had a great deal of compassion for the girl. Plus, you're not even trying to argue why it's right or wrong, you're just attacking me.

Finally, someone who thinks like I do. I want him to be executed too...theres only a small chance that hed be killed in prison by other in-mates because of what he did...it usually does happen in cases like this, where someone murders young children and rapes them (expecially girls). But to be sure, lets just execute him. I don't have any compassion either...some people would rather live a life in prison than die.
Are you condoning prison violence? It seems like you're saying "he should be killed, but since there's only a small chance that the other prisoners will get the job done, we should do it ourselves."

Navy Pride said:

I have empathy for everyone involved. It's how we judge others, with out having empathy for the murderer any judgements are arbitrary.

Navy Pride said:

Because I don't want to kill someone?

Blatant Strawman.

Navy Pride said:

Another Strawman. If you don't know what those are then find out and stop posting them. They are a waste of space.

James Rage said:

Interesting opinion, and actual substance for a change, even if I disagree.

I would suggest that you get Navy Pride to stop posting, he's hurting your side of the argument.

Ryuken said:

You got that right my friend and do it on national TV so all the bleeding hearts can watch it and I will pull the switch to fry the bastard!!!!!Anyone who would do that to and 11 year old girl does not deserve to live.........

I can tell you bleeding hearts I have a 13 year old graddaughter and God forbid if that SOB did that to her they would not have to worry about executing him because some how some way I would do it myself.......Now put that in your pipe and smoke it.....

Last edited:
Navy Pride said:
You got that right my friend and do it on national TV so all the bleeding hearts can watch it and I will pull the switch to fry the bastard!!!!!Anyone who would do that to and 11 year old girl does not deserve to live.........

Buddy I wish old sparky was still being used.....But dont worry Florida will give him his due....

cherokee said:
Buddy I wish old sparky was still being used.....But dont worry Florida will give him his due....

I saw the movie "The Green Mile" awhile back it was about a death row prison in the thirties and it showed how old sparky use to work........It would actually fry the scum bags and sometimes they had to pull the switch 3 or 4 times until the scum was burned to a crisp.........That is what Jospeh Smith needs.........

Now its about time to get away from my computer for a few minutes as my friend Pacridge told me to do because I am about ready to blow a gasket reading some of the drivel that is being posted here...........

Navy Pride, you keep talking about compassion for the girl - which I respect and agree with - but you have not once spoken of compassion for Smith. All human life is sacred and shouldn't be thrown away because of your idea of vengeance. Do you honestly believe that one life is better than another?

Now I'm not advocating the death penalty here, but the judicial system is supposed to interpret our nation's laws and reach a verdict. Cases aren't supposed to be based on compassion - they should be fair and honest, no matter how heinous the crime. Compassion shouldn't influence the court's decision.

LowBrassNinja said:
Navy Pride, you keep talking about compassion for the girl - which I respect and agree with - but you have not once spoken of compassion for Smith. All human life is sacred and shouldn't be thrown away because of your idea of vengeance. Do you honestly believe that one life is better than another?

Now I'm not advocating the death penalty here, but the judicial system is supposed to interpret our nation's laws and reach a verdict. Cases aren't supposed to be based on compassion - they should be fair and honest, no matter how heinous the crime. Compassion shouldn't influence the court's decision.

Sorry but the sec he did what he did to that little girl he lost everything.
and his right to live....

cherokee said:
Sorry but the sec he did what he did to that little girl he lost everything.
and his right to live....

Why is it bad to ask why?

LowBrassNinja said:
but you have not once spoken of compassion for Smith. All human life is sacred and shouldn't be thrown away because of your idea of vengeance.

I thought you anti-death penalty people claimed that you all did not have any compassion for the murderer?Smith can go **** himself if he wants any compassion,hell he can go cry to a anti-death penalty advocates if he wants any compassion.Maybe some liberal teacher can have her students become penpals with these vermin.

Do you honestly believe that one life is better than another?

Yes,the little girl who life was robbed from her is way much better than the life of the child raping murderer.

-Demosthenes- said:
Why is it bad to ask why?

“He raped and killed a child” has been said over and over again. That in itself is worthy of being put to death. Lets look at what he did..

He stole the future of a person not just a few days but all of it and all of any family she may have started on her own.
He raped her. Think of how small her private parts were. Think of the size of his.
The pain and horror she must have felt as he literally ripped her open.
Did her screams or the smell of her blood deter him? Did the sight of her small bloody body stop him from killing her? Think of how she felt as she was violated her and how even after that how she just wanted to live as he took her life. Did she at some point think it was her fault?

Is this too graphic for you?

Tell you what. You go to the library and check out a Field guide to Homicide
In most you’ll find a section for children. Thumb thru it and look really hard at the pictures then come back here and we’ll talk.

If killing him makes us the monster then, its a role and burder I'm willing to take on.

cherokee said:
When he's dead can he ever do it again? I think not.
Will he be able to harm anyone else? again I think not.

Agreed all the way. He gets whats coming to him.

The Pi Pirate said:
Are you condoning prison violence? It seems like you're saying "he should be killed, but since there's only a small chance that the other prisoners will get the job done, we should do it ourselves."

Yes, I am. Either way, if he doesnt get the switch, he should be killed in prison,.

cherokee said:
“He raped and killed a child” has been said over and over again. That in itself is worthy of being put to death. Lets look at what he did..

He stole the future of a person not just a few days but all of it and all of any family she may have started on her own.
He raped her. Think of how small her private parts were. Think of the size of his.
The pain and horror she must have felt as he literally ripped her open.
Did her screams or the smell of her blood deter him? Did the sight of her small bloody body stop him from killing her? Think of how she felt as she was violated her and how even after that how she just wanted to live as he took her life. Did she at some point think it was her fault?

Is this too graphic for you?

Tell you what. You go to the library and check out a Field guide to Homicide
In most you’ll find a section for children. Thumb thru it and look really hard at the pictures then come back here and we’ll talk.

If killing him makes us the monster then, its a role and burder I'm willing to take on.

Hmm.... a bit too detailed, even for my tastes (about the rape part anyway). That scumbag deserves death, though.

cherokee said:
“He raped and killed a child” has been said over and over again. That in itself is worthy of being put to death. [...]

Why?

-Demosthenes- said:
Why?

I have given you my reasons why he should die.

Now you tell me why should he live?

cherokee said:
I have given you my reasons why he should die.

Now you tell me why should he live?

"Because he was high, and he didn't mean it. Besides, it's society's fault anyway!"

That's the response you'll probably get.

Donkey1499 said:
Hmm.... a bit too detailed, even for my tastes (about the rape part anyway). That scumbag deserves death, though.

I am sorry about that......
Its something you wont ever hear, see or ever want to.

Maybe if people who want to save his life could see crime scene photos they wouldn’t be so eager to save the lives of those people.

cherokee said:
I am sorry about that......
Its something you wont ever hear, see or ever want to.

Maybe if people who want to save his life could see crime scene photos they wouldn’t be so eager to save the lives of those people.

Sometimes I force myself to see, hear, feel, and smell such things of evil. Not that I commit, cuz I don't. But I do "research", if you'll call it that, so that I'll be prepared for almost anything. Such as, I watched a terrorist's head get shattered open by an m80 round. It was gruesome, but I kept watching it until it didn't bother me. These are dark days and we all must be prepared for such scenes. Tis only a matter of time before such violence reaches our shores again.

Back
Top Bottom