• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jordan over-rated

Bodi

Just waiting for my set...
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Jordan is the most over rated player in NBA history. Sure, he was great. One of the best ever. Just not the best ever hands down he was so great that nobody even comes close... I get sick and tired of those that buy the hype that the NBA sold in the 90's and that they used Jordan as their poster child. It was about selling a brand name. It was about money.

You are correct of course that they used him to sell the NBA to people. I'm not sure it was a secret even back then. But he was hands down the best NBA player, and truly no one ever dominated a major sport as Jordan did with basketball. Why, who do you think was better than Jordan? Seriously, who?

Jordan is the most over rated player in NBA history. Sure, he was great. One of the best ever. Just not the best ever hands down he was so great that nobody even comes close... I get sick and tired of those that buy the hype that the NBA sold in the 90's and that they used Jordan as their poster child. It was about selling a brand name. It was about money.

How much did you actually watch Jordan play?

How much did you actually watch Jordan play?

Been watching the NBA every year religiously since 1980... so, a lot.

Been watching the NBA every year religiously since 1980... so, a lot.

Then your post is baffling, Jordan was so much better than any of the players he played against there is no one that is even comparable in the modern era.

Yeah, you seem to have a problem with the NBA marketing and making money off of Jordan.

Name 1 sport that doesn't market and even exploit their best players/athletes/drivers. etc.

He was the best I ever seen. I admit I'm not a huge basketball fan, but Jordan had the talent, and the DRIVE to be the best, and he was, IMO.

1. Wilt Chamberlin

2. Oscar Robinson

3. Larry Bird

4. Magic Johnson

5. Michael Jordan

6. Bill Russel

Well ive sen just about ever game of his cause im a fan but I do agree . . SOME people overrate him

But i also think its just common to call ONE of the the best players ever THEE best.

MJ is definitely in the top tier of players, the GOAT Tier

GOAT TIER:
MJ, Magic, Wilt, Russell, Jabbar, Big O

then right under them you have a much larger tier but people like
Shaq, TD, Hakeem the Dream, Dr. J, Ice Man, Both Malones, Barkley, Bird, Kobe, Clyde the Glide, Jerry west, KG, Dirk, Ray Allen and a bunch more but thats just off the top of my head.

Could make this tier smaller but its be hard.

Maybe SHaq, TD, Bird, Kobe, Dream, DR J, West, Clyde and move the rest to another tier? IDK its to hard.

Then your post is baffling, Jordan was so much better than any of the players he played against there is no one that is even comparable in the modern era.

The NBA was watered down with weak drafts and two expansion teams... the 3 point line was shortened... he never played against any of the other "Great Teams" that Bird, Magic, Dr. J or Thomas had to face. He never faced any other teams that had the absolute top players on them either...

1. Wilt Chamberlin

2. Oscar Robinson

3. Larry Bird

4. Magic Johnson

5. Michael Jordan

6. Bill Russel

Wilt would be just an average guy in todays game. Shaq would have owned him badly...

Wilt would be just an average guy in todays game. Shaq would have owned him badly...

Russel would have owned Shaq. Russel was a bull in the paint.

Wilt would have held his own.

Wilt and Bill didn't play in the new age no touch era.

Russel would have owned Shaq. Russel was a bull in the paint.

Wilt would have held his own.

Wilt and Bill didn't play in the new age no touch era.

Shaw certainly got touched... that is another thing against Jordan... and LeBron. No touch, constant travelling, ticky tack fouls called when they are touched.

The NBA was watered down with weak drafts and two expansion teams... the 3 point line was shortened... he never played against any of the other "Great Teams" that Bird, Magic, Dr. J or Thomas had to face. He never faced any other teams that had the absolute top players on them either...

The other greats just looked bad because Michael was so much better. Just look at Michael's second season when Magic and Bird were still in their primes. He already overshadowed them and even while getting swept by Brid's celtics on their way to a title, Michael was far and away the best player on the court which he proved with his still a record 63 point performance. He led the league in points every full season he played with the bulls.

My stats maybe, but as an entertainer on the court...no.

The other greats just looked bad because Michael was so much better. Just look at Michael's second season when Magic and Bird were still in their primes. He already overshadowed them and even while getting swept by Brid's celtics on their way to a title, Michael was far and away the best player on the court which he proved with his still a record 63 point performance. He led the league in points every full season he played with the bulls.

None of the teams he beat or had to play were on the NBA's Ten Greatest Teams of All Time List though... Magic, Bird, Thomas and Dr. J all had to face those teams and for most of their careers.

Ewing. Barkley. Robinson. ?? They are no Bird, Magic, Dr. J. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

That is a huge stat.

None of the teams he beat or had to play were on the NBA's Ten Greatest Teams of All Time List though... Magic, Bird, Thomas and Dr. J all had to face those teams and for most of their careers.

Ewing. Barkley. Robinson. ?? They are no Bird, Magic, Dr. J. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Really hard to say that when the game has changed so much. Barkley says the same thing in reverse, that modern teams suck, that the teams from his day were much better....But they did not play the same game!

That is a huge stat.

Seems like you left out 2 that were better than any of those 3, Shaq and Hakeem

If you think Dr. J is in the same class with Bird or Magic you are way overrating him.

Really hard to say that when the game has changed so much. Barkley says the same thing in reverse, that modern teams suck, that the teams from his day were much better....But they did not play the same game!

I don't see any teams today beating the Lakers or Celtics from the 80's the way that they played back then. Pistons either...

Seems like you left out 2 that were better than any of those 3, Shaq and Hakeem

Yeah, but the Magic were not as good as the Bulls and Hakeem never played Jordan in the Finals when Hakeem had those really good teams.
Even those teams were not great though and neither were Jordans except the '91 Team.

You are correct of course that they used him to sell the NBA to people. I'm not sure it was a secret even back then. But he was hands down the best NBA player, and truly no one ever dominated a major sport as Jordan did with basketball. Why, who do you think was better than Jordan? Seriously, who?
Maybe, maybe not.

Gretzky in hockey, comes to mind.

I don't see any teams today beating the Lakers or Celtics from the 80's the way that they played back then. Pistons either...

Maybe, as I recall that is Barkleys argument, that they played team ball.....modern teams play hero ball and in that match up team ball wins.

I dont claim to have enough knowledge to argue the point.

Last edited:
Maybe, as I recall that is Barkleys argument, that they played team ball and modern teams play hero ball and in that match up team ball wins.

I dont claim to have enough knowledge to argue the point.

I claim to have enough knowledge... anybody who tells me I don't is wrong too...

The 'best ever' is an impossible argument. Because of the different eras there's no way to compare. Was Jim Brown the best football player ever? But he played when the defensive line men were slow and weighed 220 lbs. Now they weigh 350 and in some cases are as fast as the running backs.

Babe Ruth played all day games, much less travel, and hit against pitchers who pitched the whole game. Now they play mostly night games, travel 1,000's of miles in a night, and when the starter who's throwing 95 mph tires in the 6th inning out of the bullpen comes a reliever who can throw 100 mph.

Basketball? The rules have changed a lot, and the players are bigger, stronger, and faster. I don't think the game has ever seen a athlete like LeBron James.

IMO the only 'athlete' that I am 100% sure was the best ever was Secretariat. He won the Triple Crown and broke the track record in all 3 races. Still holds the world record in the 1 1/2 mile.

Back
Top Bottom