• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jordan over-rated

The NBA was watered down with weak drafts and two expansion teams... the 3 point line was shortened... he never played against any of the other "Great Teams" that Bird, Magic, Dr. J or Thomas had to face. He never faced any other teams that had the absolute top players on them either...

Chicago won the NBA championship 6 out of 8 years with Jordan. They also lost to Detroit in the playoffs two years, who were NBA champions, prior to their run. Those Detroit teams was pretty good like them or not.

Additionally, these stats make a very convincing argument for Jordan.

Honors: Six-time NBA champion (1991-93, 1996-98); MVP (1988, '91, '92, '96, '98); 10-time All-NBA First Team (1987-93, 1996-98); All-NBA Second Team (1985); Defensive Player of the Year (1988); Nine-time All-Defensive First Team (1988-93, 1996-98); Rookie of the Year (1985); 14-time All-Star; All-Star MVP (1988, '96, '98); One of 50 Greatest Players in NBA History ('96); Olympic gold medalist (1984, '92).

NBA.com: Michael Jordan Career Stats

You are correct of course that they used him to sell the NBA to people. I'm not sure it was a secret even back then. But he was hands down the best NBA player, and truly no one ever dominated a major sport as Jordan did with basketball. Why, who do you think was better than Jordan? Seriously, who?

I would say Michael Schumacher's dominance of Formula 1 was probably greater than Jordan's dominance of pro B-ball.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1065944445 said:
Chicago won the NBA championship 6 out of 8 years with Jordan. They also lost to Detroit in the playoffs two years, who were NBA champions, prior to their run. Those Detroit teams was pretty good like them or not.

Additionally, these stats make a very convincing argument for Jordan.

NBA.com: Michael Jordan Career Stats

Nobody would put those that Jordan played against Barkley, Robinson, Ewing, Thomas or Malone in the Top Ten Players of All time although they would put those that Bird or Magic played against o nthe Top Ten List: Magic, Bird, Kareem. Lets not also forget that four of the Top Ten greatest teams all played each other in the 80's whereas Jordan teams didn't have to face one.

You are correct of course that they used him to sell the NBA to people. I'm not sure it was a secret even back then. But he was hands down the best NBA player, and truly no one ever dominated a major sport as Jordan did with basketball. Why, who do you think was better than Jordan? Seriously, who?

1. Magic
2. Bird
3. Kareem
4. Jordan
5. Russel

Nobody would put those that Jordan played against Barkley, Robinson, Ewing, Thomas or Malone in the Top Ten Players of All time although they would put those that Bird or Magic played against o nthe Top Ten List: Magic, Bird, Kareem. Lets not also forget that four of the Top Ten greatest teams all played each other in the 80's whereas Jordan teams didn't have to face one.

Not everyone agrees with your assessment.

Who are the best players in NBA history?

Re-rank ESPN's Top 40 players ever.

Who are the best players in NBA history? | HoopsHype

Wilt would be just an average guy in todays game. Shaq would have owned him badly...

Don't know if that is true or not (I'm no basketball expert) but people do this all the time. They compare athletes from different eras and you just can't do that. Training and conditioning regimens improve over the years. That is why records keep getting broken. It isn't because our "sports DNA" just keeps getting better and better. Every athlete builds on the successes and improvements of the athletes before.

1. Magic
2. Bird
3. Kareem
4. Jordan
5. Russel

I love you Bodi but the fact you don't put Jordan at the top and then you continue to not put him in the 2nd and even 3rd spot shows you're seriously lacking in objectivity here mate.

I love you Bodi but the fact you don't put Jordan at the top and then you continue to not put him in the 2nd and even 3rd spot shows you're seriously lacking in objectivity here mate.

He's absolutely 100%.... correct.

Jordan career was helped by the fact he played with a top 50 player in Scottie Pippen who often times guarded the teams opposing best players. In fact, Pippen even said Lebron is better than Jordan.

Jordan played in a water-down era and his ascension happened when Bird, Magic, Thomas, etc... retired.

I'm usually in disagreement with Bodhisattva, but he is showing extreme objectivity.

Then your post is baffling, Jordan was so much better than any of the players he played against there is no one that is even comparable in the modern era.

Being a long time Portland Trailblazer fan, I got to watch Clyde Drexler play a lot. He was phenomenal, head and shoulders above very other player in the NBA, except Jordan. When you have someone as good as Drexler was and then you put him next to Jordan and he looks like an average player, you know that you have someone special.

Don't know if that is true or not (I'm no basketball expert) but people do this all the time. They compare athletes from different eras and you just can't do that. Training and conditioning regimens improve over the years. That is why records keep getting broken. It isn't because our "sports DNA" just keeps getting better and better. Every athlete builds on the successes and improvements of the athletes before.

I agree and as an ex-competitive athlete I understand that rationale...

Or perhaps I am not as brainwashed as the majority seem to be. :lol:

I am very objective about this... very.

I'm usually in disagreement with Bodhisattva, but he is showing extreme objectivity.

See... even Bucky agrees! Wait...

:lol:

I don't know why but pretty much everybody just says Jordan! without actually thinking about it but then again the majority hear Trump and automatically think racist even though most of the stories are flat out lies.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1065948007 said:
It wasn't a guy. It was a poll.

I see that now... thank you.

The NBA ranking (subjective) had Jordan on two different teams finishing in the top ten. Irregardless, his accomplishments speak for themselves.

In a watered down, weak drafts, expansion team league? Yep.

Also... the guy had to retire and then come back. Fresh legs. Magic never QUIT. He just kept winning.

Another thing people keep forgetting is that Magic was forced to stop in the prime of his career due to HIV. He had just been to t a Finals.

Magic had 11 years and Jordan had 16 years. Magic might have had 7 or 8 Titles in that time.

Last edited:
When it comes to Jordan there's 1 thing we can all agree on.

He was a terrible baseball player.

Jordan is the most over rated player in NBA history. Sure, he was great. One of the best ever. Just not the best ever hands down he was so great that nobody even comes close... I get sick and tired of those that buy the hype that the NBA sold in the 90's and that they used Jordan as their poster child. It was about selling a brand name. It was about money.

MJ was awesome! Great on D, superb on O. He could not only drive and dunk but also shoot 3's and had a mid-range jumper that was probably one of the best ever seen in the league.

Pippen was a better defender; Magic, a better passer; Bird, a better 3-point shooter; Kobe had a better fade-away; Wilkens had a smoother move to the hole; Wilt was a better post-up guy; and at least a dozen people shot higher free throw percentages than him. But, Jordan's combined package was par excellent and unmatched. That's why he is GOAT.

See... even Bucky agrees! Wait...

:lol:

I don't know why but pretty much everybody just says Jordan! without actually thinking about it but then again the majority hear Trump and automatically think racist even though most of the stories are flat out lies.
Must resist taking the bait...

Must resist taking the bait...

Also Jordan benefited from the NBA letting him travel and giving feather touch foul calls against him...

Magic, Bird, Thomas and Dr. J were all hammered and Shaq had rules invented just to try to slow him down (hack a shaq) and he still won 3 in a row, 4 total and went to another. Jordan was a benefit of the NBA marketing elevating his status to the greatest ever and it worked.

Also Jordan benefited from the NBA letting him travel and giving feather touch foul calls against him...

Magic, Bird, Thomas and Dr. J were all hammered and Shaq had rules invented just to try to slow him down (hack a shaq) and he still won 3 in a row, 4 total and went to another. Jordan was a benefit of the NBA marketing elevating his status to the greatest ever and it worked.

I won't dispute that Jordan got calls few others got. But, I think he was very good at drawing fouls and being sure the ref saw them. Shaq and LeBron get fouled, no one sees it in real time. Jordan gets hit, and it's obvious as hell.

Back
Top Bottom