• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jon Stewart Jumped the Shark at Rally

Where is your argument for this? Olbermann, as pompous as he is, made a good point. If you quiet down the other side is just going to be louder.
Do you feel the same way about Rush, Beck, etc.?

Olbermann will not leave this world like the rest of us. He's certifiably insane. He'll be eating his soup out of a straw pretty soon.

People that have worked with him at ESPN and MSNBC speak of a man that is scary, unpredictable, and completely delusional.

Ad hominem much? It doesn't change the validity of his point. You don't get anywhere in politics by being unflaggingly polite, that just isn't how democracy works. Why do you think negative campaign ads are so effective? Good rhetoric is about galvanizing people, and part of that is anger. It has yet to be proven that righteous anger as a motivating force of politics is negative thing somehow.

Don't get me wrong, if Stewart had come out with a rally that condemned Tea Party racism, I'd be all for that. But his message is "don't call people in the Tea Party racists because it hurts their feelings." Weak.

Right. Dan Rather's fake but accurate memos, Chris Matthews getting all "tingly" when Obama is ahead on election night, Jon Stewart himself calling Truman a "war criminal" for dropping the a-bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Nope. No insanely skewed-to-the-left views there ...

Believing that dropping a nuclear weapon on civilians to be a war crime is extremist?

Ok.

So, we're "at war" with Al-Qaeda. They blow up a nuke in Manhattan. You wouldn't call it a war crime?

Do you believe that Rush and Beck shouldn't quiet down because it'll make the liberal pundits get louder?

Well sure, from their perspective. Seems like they've been doing pretty well with that strategy based on today's election results.

I must admit, that rally was refreshing. I get so tired of the biased, partisan news from Fox and the rallies by people like Beck that really almost seemed like a Rally to Restore Hate. John seems like a pretty decent American and his interview with Barack Obama went very well. I felt it was very informative, reassuring, and also pretty funny.

Believing that dropping a nuclear weapon on civilians to be a war crime is extremist?

Ok.

So, we're "at war" with Al-Qaeda. They blow up a nuke in Manhattan. You wouldn't call it a war crime?

No I wouldn't. It would be an act of terrorism. It would be mass murder. But it's not a war crime.

I was referring to Olbermann vs. Beck

Actually Olbermann is a counter to Bill O'Reily, Maddow is a counter to Hannity, and Ed Shultz is a counter to Glenn Beck.

Keith seems to be pissed that Stewart put him in the same category as people on Fox. Keith no likey.

This is interesting...the people I know that were salivating over the rally are also people who are glued to MSNBC for Keith and Rachel and Lawrence's shows every night. I wonder how they feel about this...

I loved the idea of this rally, and I think keith is a complete moron. Nice try, though.

No I wouldn't. It would be an act of terrorism. It would be mass murder. But it's not a war crime.

Deliberate targeting of civilian populations with a nuclear device is not a war crime. Got it. Thanks.

Deliberate targeting of civilian populations with a nuclear device is not a war crime. Got it. Thanks.

Technically, you are correct in stating it is a war crime...
A punishable offense, under international law, for violations of the law of war by any person or persons, military or civilian

I wonder why this thread died? I guess it didn't get the response that Mellie hoped for.

Right. Dan Rather's fake but accurate memos, Chris Matthews getting all "tingly" when Obama is ahead on election night, Jon Stewart himself calling Truman a "war criminal" for dropping the a-bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Nope. No insanely skewed-to-the-left views there ...

Stewart apologized and said something to the affect of "I have no idea what I was thinking", the following night.

Olbermen is an idiot and is just the Liberal version of Glenn Beck. Jon Stewart is better and funnier than Olbermen anyway. I so wish he would go on too his show and do what Stewart did on Crossfire.... I loved it when Jon did that little satire of Olbermen I was laughing my ass off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom