• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jon Stewart Jumped the Shark at Rally

To have jumped the shark the majority of fans would have to think its bad. So no, he didn't.

Keith seems to be pissed that Stewart put him in the same category as people on Fox. Keith no likey.

This is interesting...the people I know that were salivating over the rally are also people who are glued to MSNBC for Keith and Rachel and Lawrence's shows every night. I wonder how they feel about this...

Wah, John's message was just too universalist.

Keith thinks he's fighting the good fight. Theres alot more to be asked from MSNBC if thats the case.

No. Keith, like anyone else in the media, has to respond negatively to Stewart when he makes fun of them with broad strokes. When Stewart targets people who are not themselves, then Stewart is a sage.

Keith seems to be pissed that Stewart put him in the same category as people on Fox. Keith no likey.

This is interesting...the people I know that were salivating over the rally are also people who are glued to MSNBC for Keith and Rachel and Lawrence's shows every night. I wonder how they feel about this...

I agree with Stewart on this one. The world would be a better place without Keith O and his ilk.

For Stewart to have jumped the shark would mean that he has peaked in funny, relevance and substance. I dont think this is true of any of those things.

Olbermann is just butthurt.

The problem here is that everyone is willing to admit there is a problem, but no one wants to take responsibility for it. Take Kieth and MSNBC for example.
(Made up quote for dramatic effect)
Oh, yeah, Cable news is really bad. Oh, us? No, we are good, it's Fox and CNN that are bad

No one wants to admit that THEY are part of the problem.

People are finally interested in politics and Stewart wants a return to what, when people generally weren't interested in politics? Sounds like complacency to me.

I don't think they are all that funny, and frankly I think Stewart is a bit of a hypocrite for not caring when people called Bush a fascist but throwing a big rally because people are calling Obama a fascist.

American politics is supposed to be loud and vicious, that's just part of the culture. It's a myth that sanity was ever part of the process.

People are finally interested in politics and Stewart wants a return to what, when people generally weren't interested in politics? Sounds like complacency to me.

I don't think they are all that funny, and frankly I think Stewart is a bit of a hypocrite for not caring when people called Bush a fascist but throwing a big rally because people are calling Obama a fascist.

American politics is supposed to be loud and vicious, that's just part of the culture. It's a myth that sanity was ever part of the process.

Not really...Stewart is against calling anyone Hitler simply because you disagree with him/her. Stewart isn't trying to get people out of politics, he is trying to get people to sanely approach politics, and trying to make them understand the realities of politics.

If you watch his show, he beats on everyone who spouts extremist crap, and everyone who is a fearmongerer or something like that.

In all, Stewart is probably the best person to go to for an accurate representation of the news, plus his show is pretty funny.

Olbermann is the one who jumped the shark quite a while ago. I still like his "Oddball" and "Worst Persons in the World" segments but the rest has become pretty tragic.

I can understand being lumped in with the Becks and Hannitys making you mad, but Olbermann is wrong about Stewart.

He suspended his Worst Persons in the World segment tonight.

I'll never forget when he vowed to never use the Bill O'Reilly caricature or voice again and then a week or two later, there it was again! Moron.

Not true.

Olbermann is just pissed he was compare to Hannity and other fox pundits.

Bingo!! That's the reason. MSNBC is not the left's version of Fox!!

Implying there is any equivalence between Fox News and MSNBC is bizarre. An ultra conservative billionaire hired a Nixon media political operative to start a "news" network to distribute his inflammatory propaganda versus a cable news channel which progressive leaning began only by one of its commentator's voiced opposition to the Iraq War.

The real joke is Jon Stewart.

Implying there is any equivalence between Fox News and MSNBC is bizarre. An ultra conservative billionaire hired a Nixon media political operative to start a "news" network to distribute his inflammatory propaganda versus a cable news channel which progressive leaning began only by one of its commentator's voiced opposition to the Iraq War.

The real joke is Jon Stewart.

Right. Dan Rather's fake but accurate memos, Chris Matthews getting all "tingly" when Obama is ahead on election night, Jon Stewart himself calling Truman a "war criminal" for dropping the a-bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Nope. No insanely skewed-to-the-left views there ...

Not really...Stewart is against calling anyone Hitler simply because you disagree with him/her. Stewart isn't trying to get people out of politics, he is trying to get people to sanely approach politics, and trying to make them understand the realities of politics.

I get that Stewart likes to portray himself that way. I mean, I watch the daily show all the time, it's one of the better news shows out there and I like some of the correspondents. But Stewart is a very self-satisfied kind of guy, and it seems like it never occurred to him that all the screeching coming from the rightwing is analogous to the screeching that came from the left wing during Bush. There is nothing new about politics today that calls for some sort of "return to sanity" like we really lost it there for a minute. There were reactionaries to Bush who behaved worse than some of the Tea Partiers ever did. Where was the return to sanity rally then?

If you watch his show, he beats on everyone who spouts extremist crap, and everyone who is a fearmongerer or something like that.

Like I said, I'm a fan of the show. But I've noticed a marked bias in favor the left wing. I'd question your objectivity if you think that they "beat on" everybody on both sides of the aisle equally.

In all, Stewart is probably the best person to go to for an accurate representation of the news, plus his show is pretty funny.

I agree with you there.

Regardless of whether or not that's true, the process SHOULD be sane.

Where is your argument for this? Olbermann, as pompous as he is, made a good point. If you quiet down the other side is just going to be louder.

Where is your argument for this? Olbermann, as pompous as he is, made a good point. If you quiet down the other side is just going to be louder.

Olbermann will not leave this world like the rest of us. He's certifiably insane. He'll be eating his soup out of a straw pretty soon.

People that have worked with him at ESPN and MSNBC speak of a man that is scary, unpredictable, and completely delusional.

Back
Top Bottom