• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jon Meacham discusses new biography of Abraham Lincoln 'And There Was Light'

justabubba

long standing member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
https://www.wfae.org/show/charlotte-talks-with-mike-collins

this is an audio interview of john meacham talking about his new book about Lincoln (49:34 total)

it was a VERY interesting discussion. much of it was related to the current era and how much things back then were both similar and different to what we experience today. the similarities were intriguing

Meacham touches on topics such as the electoral college, the transfer of power as Lincoln saw it, an election during the civil war and how it was conducted, and Lincoln's election victory with 39% of the vote

the author went out of his way to acknowledge the many ways in which Linclon was a flawed personality. the central thought may have been how Lincoln's innate morality was his political guide ... even when it went against his own interests. Liz Cheney recent actions were discussed as a comparison. Meacham surprised me with his take on the projected assessment of Bush 1's administration. Truman was briefly discussed; JFK, too. Meacham explained his personal relationship to biden and how that might prevent him from writing a biography about him. surprisingly, there was no discussion of Obama, or Carter, LBJ, or the shrub. he never mentioned tRump by name, but alluded to him, briefly

i believe there are many here who look for material which offers significant insights. this discussion - to me - is exactly that. for those who remain tRump supporters, you NEED to listen to what Meacham has to say. he offers the perspective of a well respected historian you should want to hear

and if you find my above discription misleading or misguided, i would welcome your comments about that as well as what Meacham had to say

Back
Top Bottom