• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jon Kyl resigns

azgreg

Chicks dig the long ball
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
As expected Jon Kyl has submitted his resignation letter this morning. It will be effective 11:59 PM on the 31st. The big debate is who does Ducey fill the seat with?

Answer: a Trump lackey.

I normally wouldn't link to an echo chamber site, but the site that presented this story is behind a paywall.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...n-senate-seat-arizona-john-mccain/2309788002/

AZCENTRAL – U.S. Sen. Jon Kyl will resign from the U.S. Senate on Dec. 31, The Arizona Republic has confirmed, setting up a second appointment by Gov. Doug Ducey to the seat once occupied by the late John McCain.

Ducey is required under law to name another Republican to the seat. A replacement to the Senate seat “will be announced in the near future,” according to the Governor’s Office.

Kyl wrote a letter dated Dec. 12 to Ducey, informing him of his resignation. The letter was hand-delivered to the Governor’s Office late Thursday afternoon.

“Thank you for appointing me to the U.S. Senate to fill the vacancy created by John McCain’s death,” Kyl wrote. “It has been an honor and a privilege to again serve the people of Arizona.

“When I accepted your appointment, I agreed to complete the work of the 115th Congress and then reevaluate continuing to serve. I have concluded that it would be best if I resign so that your new appointee can begin the new term with all other Senators in January 2019 and can serve a full two (potentially four) years. Therefore, I will resign from the U.S. Senate effective 11:59 p.m. EST December 31, 2018.“

https://therightscoop.com/breaking-jon-kyle-to-resign-from-mccains-senate/

Seems McSally might be under consideration for the Senate seat.

Another name being thrown around here is Kirk Adams who just resigned as Ducey's Chief of Staff.

No rinos please.

I normally wouldn't link to an echo chamber site, but the site that presented this story is behind a paywall.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...n-senate-seat-arizona-john-mccain/2309788002/

Seems McSally might be under consideration for the Senate seat.

I kind of hope it ISN'T McSally. She's just not the right person for the job...cut too many teeth on the McCain side of things. We really need someone a whole lot more independent minded. I wouldn't mind Lori Corbin but I don't really see that happening either.

What’s your opinion of Adams? I don’t know anything about him.

Well respected among the state GOP. Did a pretty good job for Ducey. We could do worse that's for sure.

That’s rather reassuring. Thanks.

My only concern would be is his ability to win in 2020. He ran one time for congress and lost and isn't all that well known by those who don't follow politics like we do.

My only concern would be is his ability to win in 2020. He ran one time for congress and lost and isn't all that well known by those who don't follow politics like we do.

He’s got two years to get his name out there if he gets the tap by thr governor. If he can not do crazy crap, he’ll be ahead of the current norm.

He’s got two years to get his name out there if he gets the tap by thr governor. If he can not do crazy crap, he’ll be ahead of the current norm.

Having two years as the incumbent will definitely help him. He's a solid guy, but nothing really stands out about him. He would be a "safe" pick.

Looks like McSally will be the pick. Doubt we'll hear anything from Ducey until the first of the year.

https://twitter.com/JimSmall/status/1073662828345577472

I don't know what you think of her, but...

I don't know that much about her, except what I have seen and heard from people I respect and from her herself, so to use McDonald's phraseology, that may be a McStupid move since she's already lost a statewide election for the same job, even if it was a different seat.

I don't know what you think of her, but...

I don't know that much about her, except what I have seen and heard from people I respect and from her herself, so to use McDonald's phraseology, that may be a McStupid move since she's already lost a statewide election for the same job, even if it was a different seat.

She's a wack-a-doodle. However, she handled her defeat with a lot of dignity and had a nice parting speach the other day so I'll give her credit for that.

McSally it is.

Back
Top Bottom