• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Joker - Trailer

Skeptic Bob

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
After Heath Ledger I had zero optimism that I would ever like another Joker on the same level (live action at least). Just as nobody has ever replaced Christopher Reeve’s Superman for me.

But from this trailer and their actor choice I think I may have been too pessimistic. It looks dark, but happy stories don’t create villains like the Joker.

While I'm sure it'll be a much, much better movie than Catwoman, it looks to be about as faithful to the titular character as that earlier work.

I think DC has made terrible tonal choices when it comes to their cinematic world. They should hew closer to their outstanding animated universe.

Marvel comics are grittier than DC comics, but their cinematic universe is much brighter than DC's, and they're eating DC's lunch in the live-action world.

While I'm sure it'll be a much, much better movie than Catwoman, it looks to be about as faithful to the titular character as that earlier work.

I think DC has made terrible tonal choices when it comes to their cinematic world. They should hew closer to their outstanding animated universe.

Marvel comics are grittier than DC comics, but their cinematic universe is much brighter than DC's, and they're eating DC's lunch in the live-action world.

Marvel now owns DC.

Part of DCs problem is they cant seem to find a persona they can stick with. This will be the big screens 5th adaptation of the Joker...not counting the cartoon versions. And if they are going this direction, then does that kill off the Suicide Squad sequels? Are we in for a whole new DC reboot?

Marvel now owns DC.

If you mean that literally, they don't.

If you mean it figuratively, Marvel is certainly kiling it in the live-action world. But their animated universe is as haphazard and disjointed as DC's cinematic universe is, and DC rules there. And DC has been outselling Marvel in comics for a few years now.

Last edited:
Obviously it will be tough to live up to Heath Ledger's version.

Joaquin Phoenix does seem promising from the preview.

Myself, I liked the Jared Leto's younger Joker from Suicide Squad, and hoped they'd continue with him. I thought the way they worked in his tattoos was clever and disturbing, and his on-off relationship with Harley Quinn was worth exploring. I guess I was in the minority.

Cameron Monaghan has done two different interpretations of the Joker on Gotham, and both were outstanding.

If you mean that literally, they don't.

If you mean it figuratively, Marvel is certainly kiling it in the live-action world. But their animated universe is as haphazard and disjointed as DC's cinematic universe is, and DC rules there. And DC has been outselling Marvel in comics for a few years now.

Wrong. The holding company that owns Marvel bought DC, brought DC under Marvel's management as of Jan., 2019. You spend way too much time playing video games, while others invest and read the trades, making money. Here's a scarier thought for you, Steve Job's widow, Laurene Powell Jobs, majority shareholder of Disney, owns 70% of the holding company which owns Marvel and DC.

Wrong. The holding company that owns Marvel bought DC, brought DC under Marvel's management as of Jan., 2019.

Oh? You should inform them that they need to take all the Warner Bros. **** off their websites and out of their mastheads, then.

As of September 2018, DC Entertainment is under Warner Bros. Global Brands and Experiences, and the president of that division is Pam Lifford. There has been no change since.

You spend way too much time playing video games,

I haven't played a video game in years. What's with the personal insults over something so silly?

while others invest and read the trades, making money.

Yeah. Perhaps you can provide documentation of Marvel's new managment of DC, then.

Here's a scarier thought for you, Steve Job's widow, Laurene Powell Jobs, majority shareholder of Disney

She owns a single-digit percentage of Disney stock . . .

owns 70% of the holding company which owns Marvel and DC.

. . . and even if it were true, I couldn't care in the least, much less be "scared."

Oh? You should inform them that they need to take all the Warner Bros. **** off their websites and out of their mastheads, then.

As of September 2018, DC Entertainment is under Warner Bros. Global Brands and Experiences, and the president of that division is Pam Lifford. There has been no change since.

I haven't played a video game in years. What's with the personal insults over something so silly?

Yeah. Perhaps you can provide documentation of Marvel's new managment of DC, then.

She owns a single-digit percentage of Disney stock . . .

. . . and even if it were true, I couldn't care in the least, much less be "scared."

Warner holds the marketing contract for DC. It expires 2034.

You keep insulting me, why shouldn't I insult you? You get what you give.

Ownership isn't necessarily management.

Laurene Powell Jobs is the sole Trustee of the Jobs Trust which owns the majority of Disney Shares, resulting from the Pixar acquisition/merger. When Variety magazine learns how to understand the intricacies of investment strategies, let me know. The world will be impressed. Variety never did recover from the Belmont DeForest Trust law actions for libel and slander brought by trustee Lauren Bacall, aka "Slim."

You keep insulting me, why shouldn't I insult you? You get what you give.

When did I insult you, much less "keep" insulting you?

Warner holds the marketing contract for DC. It expires 2034.

Ownership isn't necessarily management.

Laurene Powell Jobs is the sole Trustee of the Jobs Trust which owns the majority of Disney Shares, resulting from the Pixar acquisition/merger. When Variety magazine learns how to understand the intricacies of investment strategies, let me know. The world will be impressed. Variety never did recover from the Belmont DeForest Trust law actions for libel and slander brought by trustee Lauren Bacall, aka "Slim."

Provide documentation for any of this. For Marvel "managing" DC, for the "holding company" which owns Marvel buying DC, for Jobs owning the "majority" of Disney.

Show your work. Because otherwise, this is ludicrous nonsense.

When did I insult you, much less "keep" insulting you?

Provide documentation for any of this. For Marvel "managing" DC, for the "holding company" which owns Marvel buying DC, for Jobs owning the "majority" of Disney.

Show your work. Because otherwise, this is ludicrous nonsense.

I suggest you look up the Pixar deal, for starters. Then do some reading of the Financial Times. Followed by some SEC filings. The things you could learn?

I suggest you look up the Pixar deal, for starters. Then do some reading of the Financial Times. Followed by some SEC filings. The things you could learn?

So . . . it's all in your imagination, like those phantom "insults."

Nice talkin' to ya. Bye, now.

After Heath Ledger I had zero optimism that I would ever like another Joker on the same level (live action at least). Just as nobody has ever replaced Christopher Reeve’s Superman for me.

But from this trailer and their actor choice I think I may have been too pessimistic. It looks dark, but happy stories don’t create villains like the Joker.

I don't know, the DCEU has had a pretty good run with Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam. I don't think this Joker movie will ever come close to the Dark Knight, and I don't think its meant to be an action movie, but I am interested to see what an indie psychological film about a super-villain is like. This might be a dud like Bumblebee though.

Watched the trailer and felt they went overboard trying to make The Joker a sympathetic figure.

Back
Top Bottom