• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Joint Base Andrews on lockdown after reports of security incident

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
VP and other Cabinet members have been declared safe and not on Base.
Not a ton of verifiable information

Guards stopped a shuttle of reporters at the base where Air Force One takes off, according to local reporters on the scene.
According to NPR White House correspondent Scott Detrow, the base was placed on lockdown “due to reports of an active shooter.”
“The soldier who searched tells us this is a confirmed armed individual but no shots fired,” wrote Detrow.

“At approximately 9 p.m. today, one vehicle drove through the security checkpoint and failed to adhere to commands of security personnel at the Main Gate on Joint Base Andrews, Maryland.

The 316th Security Forces Group immediately deployed the barriers and stopped the vehicle. Two individuals fled the vehicle, and one was apprehended by 316th SFG. One individual remains at large."

A possibly armed individual at large ON FOOT inside the base is not a good outcome. Perhaps they should make the entrance road entirely indoors.

I can't wait to find out who and the motive. (satire on) -- Perhaps the alleged perps misheard Lindsay Graham and thought he said "kill Biden" instead of "kill Putin" -- (satire off)

I can't wait to find out who and the motive. (satire on) -- Perhaps the alleged perps misheard Lindsay Graham and thought he said "kill Biden" instead of "kill Putin" -- (satire off)

Government land is our land! Gun free zones are unconstitutional!

Or maybe they really were hoping to get a pop at the President or VP, but hadn't done basic military intelligence first.

This aerial photograph (from Wikimedia, not classified) shows Andrews to be disturbingly small. The runways are just under 3 km long, for scale. A big plane like AF1 could probably handle losing an engine or even half a wing, but if it doesn't have altitude yet then it will crash.

No new news? Most I could find was individual not caught has left the base. Shouldn't be hard to find him though as they have the vehicle and the other moron.

The 316th Security Forces Group immediately deployed the barriers and stopped the vehicle. Two individuals fled the vehicle, and one was apprehended by 316th SFG. One individual remains at large."
I know a number of people on this forum will be sad that the two individuals who breached the barricade weren't immediately shot and killed with their "last line of defense" nonsense - but I'm glad that cooler heads prevailed.

I know a number of people on this forum will be sad that the two individuals who breached the barricade weren't immediately shot and killed with their "last line of defense" nonsense - but I'm glad that cooler heads prevailed.

Sure. "Live by the sword, die by the sword" and all that.

I'm still bothered that the gate security has a sturdy barricade for "ram raid" situations, but insufficient protection against the bonehead move of jumping out of the car and running into the base. They couldn't put a fence around there?

I guess we'll find out in the morning when the base updates its website. That the public be kept informed isn't the most important thing. If the other person took a hostage or something I guess I'll have to apologize.

Should the insurrectionists who bumrushed our capital have been shot?

Should the insurrectionists who bumrushed our capital have been shot?
No. Fortunately the vast majority of officers, save one, were able to keep their cool under very stressful circumstances.

Sure. "Live by the sword, die by the sword" and all that.

I'm still bothered that the gate security has a sturdy barricade for "ram raid" situations, but insufficient protection against the bonehead move of jumping out of the car and running into the base. They couldn't put a fence around there?
Yes, sounds like they need to rethink some security protocols. Reminds me of when Obama was president and someone was able to force his way into the White House - right through the front door. Glad cooler heads prevailed that day, too.

No. Fortunately the vast majority of officers, save one, were able to keep their cool under very stressful circumstances.
so we should shoot these people at the military base (that breached security) and not the ones at the capital (who breached security while chanting about killing a politician).

dude. that's totally not consistent.

so we should shoot these people at the military base (that breached security) and not the ones at the capital (who breached security while chanting about killing a politician).

dude. that's totally not consistent.
That would be inconsistent, but of course I strongly argue for not shooting people in either instance.

They could have easily been shot on site for what they did especially if they were armed. This is not something you do and not expect to get confronted with lethal force if you don't comply. Anybody thinks it's not a serious thing is out of touch. And add to that the VP was in the area is probably not a coincidence.

Funny there is not much coverage of this. Typical myopia of the media. So focused on Ukraine it's like there isn't news anywhere else.

They could have easily been shot on site for what they did especially if they were armed. This is not something you do and not expect to get confronted with lethal force if you don't comply. Anybody thinks it's not a serious thing is out of touch. And add to that the VP was in the area is probably not a coincidence.

Funny there is not much coverage of this. Typical myopia of the media. So focused on Ukraine it's like there isn't news anywhere else.

There isn't much of a story. A person who may or may not be armed, entered the base without permission.
It's also possible they killed him, and aren't releasing that yet for some reason.

If there's no video there's no story. Later this morning there might be.

Yes, sounds like they need to rethink some security protocols. Reminds me of when Obama was president and someone was able to force his way into the White House - right through the front door. Glad cooler heads prevailed that day, too.

In 2017 a guy got inside the perimeter fence of the White House ... wearing a Pikachu suit.

I can imagine the Secret Service: "I don't know what that is, Chuck, but I know it's not authorized"

Seems odd that there is an "active shooter" but "no shots fired".

What is it that defines for anyone an '"active shooter" if they are not actively shooting?

Still no further update. And I notice that I made an assumption: the one person who was not captured did not necessarily escape inside the base. If they ran back outside it might be the last we hear of them.

Hey, just another case of "a teenager with a gun" nothing to get upset about.

I mean, it's not like he was shooting up a school or something - right?

Back
Top Bottom