• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Johnson & Johnson officer says goal is to deliver 1 billion coronavirus vaccines next year

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Johnson & Johnson officer says goal is to deliver 1 billion coronavirus vaccines next year | TheHill

A Johnson & Johnson executive said Sunday that the company’s goal is to deliver 1 billion doses of coronavirus vaccine next year.

Paul Stoffels, the company’s chief scientific officer, told ABC’s “This Week” that Johnson & Johnson is increasing its manufacturing and preparing for clinical trials in September. He hopes to have data and start developing the vaccines at the end of the year.

“We are upscaling manufacturing, and we start producing in the late year with the aim to deliver 1 billion vaccines next year,” he said.
==========================================================
Great news if their vaccine works as intended. But it takes up to a month after vaccination for antibodies to reach an effective level. And by my count, by next year we're looking at something around half a million new deaths.

I thought for a second this dude was actually reporting good news. Then the usual happened there at the end.

I thought for a second this dude was actually reporting good news. Then the usual happened there at the end.

Rome wasn't built in a day & it usually takes a year or more to develop a new vaccine.

I see a potential problem where the WH could use the DPA to help accelerate this roillout: 300 million vaccine delivery units (syringe, etc) will be required. Is anyone planning on giving J&J a hand getting these ready in time?

IF it works, that's great. We'll see, but I'm hoping that we can develop a functional vaccine quickly. That's what will start to allow us to get a cap on all this.

IF it works, that's great. We'll see, but I'm hoping that we can develop a functional vaccine quickly. That's what will start to allow us to get a cap on all this.

AFAIK, this vaccine is untested as it is still in development. And as we just discussed, the virus could mutate by next year to make this vaccine less effective.

It kind of doesn’t matter if there’s a vaccine next year if Trump is still President: the Federal Government is going to botch the rollout so badly that most segments of the country will be unvaccinated months after the vaccine has been mass produced and made available to the public.

AFAIK, this vaccine is untested as it is still in development. And as we just discussed, the virus could mutate by next year to make this vaccine less effective.

True, but it would be a good start, and if there is an effective vaccine against Covid then that gives us a good starting point against mutated lines of it as well.

It kind of doesn’t matter if there’s a vaccine next year if Trump is still President: the Federal Government is going to botch the rollout so badly that most segments of the country will be unvaccinated months after the vaccine has been mass produced and made available to the public.

If Trump wins I'd expect many liberals to not be around anymore for a variety of reasons. There will be less hosts for the virus to attach too.

I agree. The WH is doing nothing visible to help the vaccine effort.

If Trump wins I'd expect many liberals to not be around anymore for a variety of reasons. There will be less hosts for the virus to attach too.

No. It's the conservatives who refuse to wear masks who will kill off all the other conservatives not wearing masks. They will all win the Darwin Award, to be presented at their funerals.

I don't see any quick fixes for this. It takes quite a few years to develop a vaccine, distribute it, and develop immunity to any substantial segment of the population.

Then we have to deal with the prospect of whether as individuals we want to risk taking a vaccine that will take years to fully evaluate in terms of dangers & side-effects.

Unless this thing peters-out like SARS(1) did, I don't see us reaching reasonable societal immunity levels for at the minimum of 3-4 years from the initial outbreak. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

True, but it would be a good start, and if there is an effective vaccine against Covid then that gives us a good starting point against mutated lines of it as well.
Exactly! Having an effective base vaccine makes it easier to tweak it for mutations (generally speaking).

What are you implying, here?

Johnson & Johnson officer says goal is to deliver 1 billion coronavirus vaccines next year | TheHill

A Johnson & Johnson executive said Sunday that the company’s goal is to deliver 1 billion doses of coronavirus vaccine next year.

Paul Stoffels, the company’s chief scientific officer, told ABC’s “This Week” that Johnson & Johnson is increasing its manufacturing and preparing for clinical trials in September. He hopes to have data and start developing the vaccines at the end of the year.

“We are upscaling manufacturing, and we start producing in the late year with the aim to deliver 1 billion vaccines next year,” he said.
==========================================================
Great news if their vaccine works as intended. But it takes up to a month after vaccination for antibodies to reach an effective level. And by my count, by next year we're looking at something around half a million new deaths.

Great... the vaccine will be ready just after the apes take over the planet...

I agree. The federal government needs to quit cheering on the sidelines and get into the game. :thumbs:

So far all we can get from the white house is sunshine and consuming disinfectant will solve this. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom