• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Johnny Football's Mini Suspension

Risky Thicket

Sewer Rat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Half a game? Get the hell out of here. The NCAA proves once and for all that it is completely without testicles. What a joke! Either punish Manziel or leave the kid alone.

Risky Advice For The NCAA - Never Attempt To Save Face While Your Head Is Up Your Own Ass.

Risky

Half a game? Get the hell out of here. The NCAA proves once and for all that it is completely without testicles. What a joke! Either punish Manziel or leave the kid alone.

Risky Advice For The NCAA - Never Attempt To Save Face While Your Head Is Up Your Own Ass.

Risky

Plea bargain of the decade (at least I hope so). He did not break the rule that he did not know about but just to save face (and millions of dollars) Texas A&M officials and the NCAA morons had a pow-wow for 6 hours to finally settle on a 30 minute (1/2 game) "compromise" suspension in the season opening Rice/A&M game. That is surely NCAA "just us" in action. ;)

I dont know why they cant sell autographs?
Its not like they were driving in a new Lambo that some booster paid for.

What's funny is that Manziel already drives a Mercedes that his daddy bought him, and if he wanted a Lambo, daddy could buy that for him too.

A lot of days I jog past the NCAA's headquarters at lunch. I dont think I have seen any intelligent life yet. What a joke. Why the hell would someone sign 4k signatures for free? I heard this AM, I might be wrong, but the raido said the NCAA knows he singed that many sigs, yet deny he got paid. That is crazy.

What's funny is that Manziel already drives a Mercedes that his daddy bought him, and if he wanted a Lambo, daddy could buy that for him too.

What is the difference between an athlete from a wealthy family getting 10k/month from parents and an athlete taking money from an agent/booster?

What is the difference between an athlete from a wealthy family getting 10k/month from parents and an athlete taking money from an agent/booster?

A kid with rich parents still qualifies as an amateur.

A kid with rich parents still qualifies as an amateur.

I am well aware of the rules.

What is the difference (rules aside).

I am well aware of the rules.

What is the difference (rules aside).

I just said the difference. External money is being paid for services and, as such, amateur status is revoked.

Mommy and daddy buying you stuff isn't a payment for services. Johnny would get that money if he threw 30 picks.

I just said the difference. External money is being paid for services and, as such, amateur status is revoked.

Mommy and daddy buying you stuff isn't a payment for services. Johnny would get that money if he threw 30 picks.

No, you pointed out that there are rules.

A booster giving money is the same as parents giving money. The only difference; the latter is against the "rules".

A booster giving money is the same as parents giving money. The only difference; the latter is against the "rules".

That's like saying finding a wallet on the ground is the same as stealing.

That's like saying finding a wallet on the ground is the same as stealing.

No.

It's like eating a meal in front of a hungry person who just made that meal.

I think you meant "former." A booster is a fan and a stranger, not a parent, someone who's been providing for the kid his whole life anyway.

This suspension was a joke and I think goes to show once more the incredible amount of favorable bias granted to the SEC. Manziel broke the rules. If he hadn't broken the rules, then he wouldn't have been suspended. Manziel breaks the rules and his punishment is a half game suspension? That's just idiotic.

At least have the cajones to make it a full game.
I dont know why they cant sell autographs?
Amateur status.

Yes, and the rules are important to guarantee amateur status. Surely you're not suggesting professional football players in college?

Here's a different perspective:

Look, Manziel dodged a big bullet here. The NCAA can't prove a thing, but common sense and basic intelligence says the circumstantial evidence on Manziel was strong. I'd rather watch Johnny Football play than sit because of an inherently bankrupt concept, so whatever. He still shouldn't have risked the hard work and dedication of his teammates for something this foolish.

In this case, however, there is just too much laughter to care. Like Terrelle Pryor before him, Manziel's greatest act as a college football player is exposing this absurdity in all its glory.

Y! SPORTS

Little Johnny is a punk. He is in love with himself despite being uglier than a baboon's ass. He is going to learn he is not football but only a player. Vince Young came out of U. of Texas convinced he was a God and blew $55,000,000 dollars in a couple years. Where is he now? He was cut this past weekend from the Packers trying for a third string quarterback job.

Punk, immature, just being a college kid, persecuted, understandable, idiot, etc...

Say what you will. For me, after watching Saturday, I only have one real word to describe him.

Douchebag

I think Texas A & M gave the NCAA an ultimatum. YOU suspend him or we play him. There obviously was no proof. The NCAA put A&M in a box and A&M said screw your box. Its kind of tough to punish a program when the NCAA itself couldnt prove its own allegations and if the NCAA cant prove it, they couldnt expect A&M to act. So...they gave him a half a game against Rice. If Im not mistaken, their backup QB put up better numbers than Manziel.

Manziel was talking **** during the game. They get Bama in 2 weeks. Grudge game and Bama has a bit of a chip on its shoulder. We'll see who will be showing who the money.

This kid is a punk. His coach should have benched him for the coming Alabama game but the equally punk college board of directors would have fired him if he had. This punk separates himself from his teammates with this movie star attitude. It will get him in the end. Bear Bryant benched Joe Namath for the championship title game for being one minute late for curfew. Today we pander these pimps when we should be slapping them outside behind the building.

NCAA should have just let it go. Half-game suspension is even worse than doing nothing.

This kid is a punk. His coach should have benched him for the coming Alabama game but the equally punk college board of directors would have fired him if he had. This punk separates himself from his teammates with this movie star attitude. It will get him in the end. Bear Bryant benched Joe Namath for the championship title game for being one minute late for curfew. Today we pander these pimps when we should be slapping them outside behind the building.
Im not sure what would be a greater punishment...benching against Bama or starting him. I'll say this...if A&M pulls out a win on the 14th...love him or hate him...dood is Johnny Football. We'll see.

NCAA should have just let it go. Half-game suspension is even worse than doing nothing.

It couldn't produce evidence that money exchanged hands.

It couldn't produce evidence that money exchanged hands.

That probably would have been easier to do if they...you know, tried.

That probably would have been easier to do if they...you know, tried.
It's the SEC, surely you cannot be surprised the NCAA didn't try.

Back
Top Bottom