• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Johnny Depp to play Doctor Who

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Last edited:
I would prefer David Tennet but Depp is pretty good at quirky characters

I'll bite. Why?

RTD. Johnny Depp.

Stephen Moffet has re-invented Who in one season in ways RTD just... could never pull off. Matt Smith is a far BETTER choice as the Doctor, cause, hey, he IS the Doctor. RTD would muck things up and ruin Cannon.

FYI The top 5 doctors are:

1. Tom Baker
2. Matt Smith
3. John Pertwee
4. David Tennent
5. Chris E.

I can NOT believe this!!!!! Ive been a HUGE fan of Doctor Who since 1981!! And now Johnny freakin' Depp is going to be the lead in a Doctor Who MOVIE!?!?!? :shock: :shock: :shock: This is like a birthday AND Xmas present rolled into one! :)

Tor.com / Science fiction and fantasy / Blog posts / Johnny Depp Starring in Big Screen Doctor Who Adaptation?

I seriously doubt this is going to happen, for a lot of valid reasons the least of which are that Depp is already committed to projects through 2012. He'll be busy playing Barnabas Collins in Tim Burton's adaptation of Dark Shadows as well as other roles. A big budget American studio Who production can't possibly be made in the time frame given in this rumor. But it is fun to talk about! I noticed one blog at The Atlantic, posted four hours ago, ups the ante of this rumor to fact; Depp IS going to play the Doctor! The author states the Tor piece as saying that, even though the Tor peace is careful to state this is just a rumor. Ah the blogosphere. Until the picture has actually been green lit I'm going to have a skeptical eye on any casting rumors.

As for casting Depp, while I enjoy Depp's work, particularly when playing odd characters, I shudder at the thought of him playing the role. Smacks of stunt casting to me, but Depp does have the chops for the role. I'd just rather see a Brit play the role, I was a big Tennent fan and would rather see him in the role again if we yanks are actually going to make a film about the Doctor. ;)

I'd just rather see a Brit play the role, I was a big Tennent fan and would rather see him in the role again if we yanks are actually going to make a film about the Doctor. ;)

yupyup. can't go wrong with the Royal Shakespeare Company's Best Shakespearean actor award winner for 2009.

RTD. Johnny Depp.

Stephen Moffet has re-invented Who in one season in ways RTD just... could never pull off. Matt Smith is a far BETTER choice as the Doctor, cause, hey, he IS the Doctor. RTD would muck things up and ruin Cannon.

E
1. Tom Baker
2. Matt Smith
3. John Pertwee
4. David Tennent
5. Chris E.

Tom Baker is the gold standard of the Doctor no doubt. I couldn't stand Pertwee though Tennent finally grew on me and I'm digging Matt Smiths interpretation. I think the Doctor has to be quirky... Chris Eccleston's interpretation was too cool a little dark and not at all what the Doctor should be IMO.

Depp certainly has "quirky" down pat so if it's him that's going to do this - I'm hoping he's up for the challenge. Great. Now I want some jelly babies.

I'd just rather see a Brit play the role, I was a big Tennent fan and would rather see him in the role again if we yanks are actually going to make a film about the Doctor. ;)

If not Tennent, I might go for Hugh Laurie. If he could split the difference between his Americanized role in House and his older stuff, he'd be spot on.

The Doctor should be British and I want Tennant to play the role NOT Johnny Depp. I don't care how hot Depp looks shirtless.

I'd rather this current Doctor is replaced as well, along with the companion.

The Doctor should be British and I want Tennant to play the role NOT Johnny Depp. I don't care how hot Depp looks shirtless.

The new doctor was growing on me but Tennent was the best imho. The current companion is highly forgettable though.

The new doctor was growing on me but Tennent was the best imho. The current companion is highly forgettable though.

He's passable I suppose.

I don't like the writer either. I miss Russell T Davies as well.
I love watching back Tennant's episodes and specials

RTD. Johnny Depp.

1. Tom Baker
2. Matt Smith
3. John Pertwee
4. David Tennent
5. Chris E.

No WAAAAY man!!! RTD is FAR superior to Moffet! In fact I called the BBC TWICE because I want RTD back. Season 5 was vastly inferior to 1-4.
Heck, my 2 friends dtopped watching the show mid season because they said it was crap now. And I also feel Tennant is better than Smith. Not by a huge amount... but a noticeable amount.

grrrr.. hater! :2mad:

I like Amy Pond... Mmmmm armed hotties in mini skirt gets an extra thumbs up from me.

karen-gillan-amy-pond.jpg

hmmm in fact I'm now reconsidering my ongoing boycott of redheads :3oops:

Last edited:
No WAAAAY man!!! RTD is FAR superior to Moffet! In fact I called the BBC TWICE because I want RTD back. Season 5 was vastly inferior to 1-4.

RTD was so amazing.
I mourn his leaving, Moffat is ****.
2 good episodes out of a series of 13 episodes is what I call failure

I've complained to BBC as well. Loud complaints
Both written and phone and they always respond, they will work to review my concerns prob. due to my status as a TV license payer lol

I like Amy Pond... Mmmmm armed hotties in mini skirt gets an extra thumbs up from me.

I soo badly dislike Amy.
She is ****.
Unoriginal.
Too sexed up.
Can I have a Welsh companion please? N Irish companion.
UK extends past England and Scotland :/
I dislike the dude she hangs around with
What does she bring other than mini skirts to appease the male viewing population??

I want Donna! And a new Doctor.

Last edited:
Too sexed up? Bring Back Billie!

billie-piper_000.jpg

She was good type of sexed up.
Not too over the top and I loved the fact they were in love.
Not this whole, lets just have kiss and sex and pushing herself on him on the bed. Urgh.

You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SOOOOOO correct!!!!!
Karen Gillan is just BEAUTIFUL!
Actually she is pretty good, companion-wise too. Much better than Martha. She was CRAP. Horrible actress. Alas Karen needs to take some acting lessons from Donna Noble :roll:

You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SOOOOOO correct!!!!!
Karen Gillan is just BEAUTIFUL!
Actually she is pretty good, companion-wise too. Much better than Martha. She was CRAP. Horrible actress. Alas Karen needs to take some acting lessons from Donna Noble :roll:

Beautiful does not mean a good companion.
I want Donna back.
I even prefer Martha over this new companion.

I'll be honest, I had my fingers crossed she'd die but no ... she came back *sighs*

She was good type of sexed up.
Not too over the top and I loved the fact they were in love.
Not this whole, lets just have kiss and sex and pushing herself on him on the bed. Urgh.

Yeah I really did enjoy that wonderful romance. It really was wonderful to see the playfulness, fun and adventure and just PASSION that the Doctor had for her... and what he would DO for her.

BUT.... it couldnt have gone on forever.

Bottom line.... RTD was FAR better than Moffet is. Season 5 sucked. It was crap. 3 episodes out of 13 were worth watching. Vincent..... the Big Bang and part two of the Angel thing.

EDIT: The 11th Hour was fair. But that BIG Eyeball ship really ruined things. Just really foolish idea. Im not 6 years old and most of the audience isnt either.

Last edited:
Yeah I really did enjoy that wonderful romance. It really was wonderful to see the playfulness, fun and adventure and just PASSION that the Doctor had for her... and what he would DO for her.

BUT.... it couldnt have gone on forever.

Bottom line.... RTD was FAR better than Moffet is. Season 5 sucked. It was crap. 3 episodes out of 13 were worth watching. Vincent..... the Big Bang and part two of the Angel thing.

Season 5 is the absolute worst one that has come out.
I had to force myself to sit down and watch it, I had the remote with me at all times and fast forwarded what I deemed 'boring bits' (which was just under 20 mins of it)

When Tennant was Doctor, I used to rearrange my schedule to ensure I could watch it when it aired now this :(
I fear what BBC has in store for Doctor Who
If these crap episodes continue, how can BBC justify spending our TV license on this? I'd rather they cancel it and focus on Torchwood

Back
Top Bottom