• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

John Wooden dies at 99; UCLA basketball coach won 10 national titles

zimmer

Educating the Ignorant
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
John Wooden dies at 99; UCLA basketball coach won 10 national titles - latimes.com
John Wooden, the UCLA basketball coach who became an icon of American sports while guiding the Bruins to an unprecedented 10 national championships in the 1960s and '70s and remained in the spotlight during retirement with his "Pyramid of Success" motivational program, has died. He was 99.

The Wizard of Westwood.
His interviews on youtube etc. are really worth listening to. I have a few on my ipod I listen to from time to time.
His books are worth reading.

Just a great man.

Thanks for sharing Mr. Wooden.

Coach Wooden's passing is a huge loss for basketball. I don't believe there is any coach--collegiate or NBA--that even begins to compare to Wooden in terms of his impact on the game, much less his record of success.

Coach Wooden's passing is a huge loss for basketball. I don't believe there is any coach--collegiate or NBA--that even begins to compare to Wooden in terms of his impact on the game, much less his record of success.

His basketball success is historic. How he got there, his methods, his beliefs are life lessons everyone should be exposed to. They are a value that trumps his 10 titles. I think he would be happy to hear that.

Below is one interview I listen to more than the rest. He is funny, and it is packed with common sense.
I enjoyed his relaying stories of Bill Walton. Pricelees.

He was a little before my time... having spent a year in the UCLA AD.
He'll be missed but never forgotten. I hope his life lessons exceed his titles. If they did we would be living in a better world.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2810376612705836910

Last edited:
The sport of basketball for both NBA and college has changed now. RIP Coach Wooden.

Back
Top Bottom