• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

John Paul Stevens' essay on the 2nd Amendment: Congress should change the wording

vash1012

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
"For more than 200 years following the adoption of that amendment, federal judges uniformly understood that the right protected by that text was limited in two ways: First, it applied only to keeping and bearing arms for military purposes, and second, while it limited the power of the federal government, it did not impose any limit whatsoever on the power of states or local governments to regulate the ownership or use of firearms."

"When I joined the court in 1975, that holding was generally understood as limiting the scope of the Second Amendment to uses of arms that were related to military activities. During the years when Warren Burger was chief justice, from 1969 to 1986, no judge or justice expressed any doubt about the limited coverage of the amendment, and I cannot recall any judge suggesting that the amendment might place any limit on state authority to do anything. "

"Organizations such as the National Rifle Association disagreed with that position and mounted a vigorous campaign claiming that federal regulation of the use of firearms severely curtailed Americans’ Second Amendment rights. Five years after his retirement, during a 1991 appearance on “The MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour,” Burger himself remarked that the Second Amendment “has been the subject of one of the greatest pieces of fraud, I repeat the word ‘fraud,’ on the American public by special interest groups that I have ever seen in my lifetime.”"

"As a result of the rulings in Heller and McDonald, the Second Amendment, which was adopted to protect the states from federal interference with their power to ensure that their militias were “well regulated,” has given federal judges the ultimate power to determine the validity of state regulations of both civilian and militia-related uses of arms. That anomalous result can be avoided by adding five words to the text of the Second Amendment to make it unambiguously conform to the original intent of its draftsmen. As so amended, it would read:

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms when serving in the Militia shall not be infringed.”

Emotional claims that the right to possess deadly weapons is so important that it is protected by the federal Constitution distort intelligent debate about the wisdom of particular aspects of proposed legislation designed to minimize the slaughter caused by the prevalence of guns in private hands. Those emotional arguments would be nullified by the adoption of my proposed amendment. The amendment certainly would not silence the powerful voice of the gun lobby; it would merely eliminate its ability to advance one mistaken argument."

The five extra words that can fix the Second Amendment - The Washington Post

Its a quick read and a good one I think for some historical perspective on the supreme courts opinion on the 2nd amendment. If you don't want to read the whole thing, the 4 quotes I picked out basically summarize it.

Discuss.

Stevens is a moron, and shows a rabid disrespect for the constitution. It will be a happy day indeed when he retires.

Well that's about the response I expected.

The real fix to it should be to change it to:

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Problem solved.

Our Founding Fathers did an excellent job at the convention with our supreme law of the land and federal Constitution; the proof is, they even put it through a committee of style.

Agreed, he has been retired, however.
Ah, I am rushing today so probably didn't think that through. His musings prove that he was not fit to be on the Supreme Court, I read this article of his already, he argued for "clarity", yeah right, clarity as he sees it. Thing is, he is full of ****, any reading of the founders' writings already clears up any objections to the second amendment language.

Only one warranted. Stevens was horrible and should never have been appointed, if you care to read the history of the second you'd realize Stevens is full of ****.

Ignoring the first clause is an appeal to ignorance.

This is what our Second Amendment would need to express, to successfully ignore the first clause: A well regulated Militia, being unnecessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It must be a self-evident, legal truth, that Only well regulated Militias of the People may not be Infringed when keeping and bearing Arms for their State or the Union.

The defense and protection of the state and of the United States is an obligation of all persons within the state. The legislature shall provide for the discharge of this obligation and for the maintenance and regulation of an organized militia.

Last edited:
"For more than 200 years following the adoption of that amendment, federal judges uniformly understood that the right protected by that text was limited in two ways: First, it applied only to keeping and bearing arms for military purposes, and second, while it limited the power of the federal government, it did not impose any limit whatsoever on the power of states or local governments to regulate the ownership or use of firearms."

"When I joined the court in 1975, that holding was generally understood as limiting the scope of the Second Amendment to uses of arms that were related to military activities. During the years when Warren Burger was chief justice, from 1969 to 1986, no judge or justice expressed any doubt about the limited coverage of the amendment, and I cannot recall any judge suggesting that the amendment might place any limit on state authority to do anything. "

"Organizations such as the National Rifle Association disagreed with that position and mounted a vigorous campaign claiming that federal regulation of the use of firearms severely curtailed Americans’ Second Amendment rights. Five years after his retirement, during a 1991 appearance on “The MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour,” Burger himself remarked that the Second Amendment “has been the subject of one of the greatest pieces of fraud, I repeat the word ‘fraud,’ on the American public by special interest groups that I have ever seen in my lifetime.”"

"As a result of the rulings in Heller and McDonald, the Second Amendment, which was adopted to protect the states from federal interference with their power to ensure that their militias were “well regulated,” has given federal judges the ultimate power to determine the validity of state regulations of both civilian and militia-related uses of arms. That anomalous result can be avoided by adding five words to the text of the Second Amendment to make it unambiguously conform to the original intent of its draftsmen. As so amended, it would read:

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms when serving in the Militia shall not be infringed.”

Emotional claims that the right to possess deadly weapons is so important that it is protected by the federal Constitution distort intelligent debate about the wisdom of particular aspects of proposed legislation designed to minimize the slaughter caused by the prevalence of guns in private hands. Those emotional arguments would be nullified by the adoption of my proposed amendment. The amendment certainly would not silence the powerful voice of the gun lobby; it would merely eliminate its ability to advance one mistaken argument."

The five extra words that can fix the Second Amendment - The Washington Post

Its a quick read and a good one I think for some historical perspective on the supreme courts opinion on the 2nd amendment. If you don't want to read the whole thing, the 4 quotes I picked out basically summarize it.

Discuss.

JPS is a statist who was one of those justices who was picked due to politics rather than intellectual wattage. He is not highly regarded by those of us who practiced federally and his dissent in Heller was one of the most pathetic pieces of crap I ever read. His premise was that the USSC should be bound by precedent created by INFERIOR courts what admittedly WRONGLY interpreted the 1870' Cruikshank decision.

(Cruikshank held that the second amendment did not create any rights (but rather recognized pre existing rights): anti gun lower judges claimed that since the 2A did not GIVE any individual right to KBA, individuals did not have any rights)

He is intellectually dishonest He never has been able to explain why the erroneous interpretations of absolute morons like Burger were correct

He didn't like people owning guns and was going to ignore the obvious intent of the document

Problem solved.

Congress shall make not laws interfering with the right of the people to keep, acquire, use or possess arms and ammunition

What problems are those?

the only problem is he doesn't understand the second amendment and is mad that it prevents gun bans that he wants

Problem solved.

Congress shall make not laws interfering with the right of the people to keep, acquire, use or possess arms and ammunition

If the Second Amendment were up for being rewritten, I would be in favor of adding a sentence or two to it to give it some real teeth—establishing that for any public servant at any level of government to take any action which has the intent or effect of violating any free citizen's right to keep and bear arms is a felony, punishable by no less than twenty years in prison per offense, and permanent disqualification from any government job or position. This would include any legislator who authors or votes for any gun control bill, any executive who signs any such bill into law, any judge who upholds any such law, and any judge or police officer who has any role in prosecuting any citizen for exercising his Second Amendment rights.

If the Second Amendment were up for being rewritten, I would be in favor of adding a sentence or two to it to give it some real teeth—establishing that for any public servant at any level of government to take any action which has the intent or effect of violating any free citizen's right to keep and bear arms is a felony, punishable by no less than twenty years in prison per offense, and permanent disqualification from any government job or position. This would include any legislator who authors or votes for any gun control bill, any executive who signs any such bill into law, any judge who upholds any such law, and any judge or police officer who has any role in prosecuting any citizen for exercising his Second Amendment rights.

another

congress shall make no law that does not apply to agents or employees of the federal government

meaning

if citizens cannot own machine guns made after May 19, 1986, then the FBI, the SS, the DEA cannot use them either

Congress cannot exempt itself from Obamacare or Title VII either

John Paul Statist never explains this real bitch slap of his crappy reasoning

1) if he is going to interpret the 2A so narrowly as to limit its application to "military service" 2) how can he also expansively interpret the Commerce Clause to find a grant of power while
3) then narrowly interpreting the 10A?

its pure dishonesty and that is why i have absolutely no respect for that statist tool

the only problem is he doesn't understand the second amendment and is mad that it prevents gun bans that he wants

I'm pretty sure he's just a random word generator based on his previous posts.

Ignoring the first clause is an appeal to ignorance.

This is what our Second Amendment would need to express, to successfully ignore the first clause: A well regulated Militia, being unnecessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It must be a self-evident, legal truth, that Only well regulated Militias of the People may not be Infringed when keeping and bearing Arms for their State or the Union.

As Jefferson might have said, Hogwash.

I'll let the Founders explain their intent to you....

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Co-author of the Second Amendment
during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves …"
Richard Henry Lee
writing in Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic, Letter XVIII, May, 1788.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The people are not to be disarmed of their weapons. They are left in full posession of them."
Zachariah Johnson
Elliot's Debates, vol. 3 "The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution."

"… the people are confirmed by the next article in their right to keep and bear their private arms"
Philadelphia Federal Gazette
June 18, 1789, Pg. 2, Col. 2
Article on the Bill of Rights

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"Samuel Adams
quoted in the Philadelphia Independent Gazetteer, August 20, 1789, "Propositions submitted to the Convention of this State"

"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States

"The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand arms, like laws, discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as property. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside … Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."
Thomas Paine

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
Richard Henry Lee
American Statesman, 1788

"The great object is that every man be armed." and "Everyone who is able may have a gun."
Patrick Henry
American Patriot

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"
Patrick Henry
American Patriot

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Thomas Jefferson
Third President of the United States

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that … it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; … "
Thomas Jefferson
letter to Justice John Cartwright, June 5, 1824. ME 16:45.

What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
Thomas Jefferson
to James Madison

The Founding Fathers on the Second Amendment

Now you did it Goshin. Now we'll get 10 pages of two claims: "fallacies" and "ignorance of law" by the broken record player.

Now you did it Goshin. Now we'll get 10 pages of two claims: "fallacies" and "ignorance of law" by the broken record player.

that would depend on the programmer wouldn't it?

Back
Top Bottom