• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

John Mearshiemer View On How We Got To The War In Ukraine

oneworld2

Handsome Pitbull
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
John Meirsheimer is a professor at Chicago university and an expert on international politics.

He lays out how and why NATO expansion eastward was a ongoing concern for the Russians and that they " swallowed" the first two influxes of the eastern bloc countries into NATO but that after the 2008 Bucharest NATO summit which stated that both Ukraine and Georgia would be future members of NATO Russia said nope.

He outlines the history of NATO expansion and focuses on how that 2008 decision saw Ukraine being used as a " bulwark" by NATO against Russia. It's only from last month so it right up to date.

Talk starts at around 1 min 48 into the vid

Oh look. Another pro-Russia ad from oneworld2. SPAM it up!

And the McCarthyite beat goes on

John Meirsheimer is a professor at Chicago university and an expert on international politics.

He lays out how and why NATO expansion eastward was a ongoing concern for the Russians and that they " swallowed" the first two influxes of the eastern bloc countries into NATO but that after the 2008 Bucharest NATO summit which stated that both Ukraine and Georgia would be future members of NATO Russia said nope.

He outlines the history of NATO expansion and focuses on how that 2008 decision saw Ukraine being used as a " bulwark" by NATO against Russia. It's only from last month so it right up to date.

1647041325267.png

Another great lecture from Meirsheimer. Nevermind the cult members parroting their CNN narratives.

Far too early for Americans to think .
Let alone logically .

They need time to rid themselves of hysteria and the dawning knowledge that the US Empire is half way down the plug hole .

Another great lecture from Meirsheimer. Nevermind the cult members parroting their CNN narratives.

He is shockingly unaware that sovereignty states have the right to do whatever the hell they want.

Let alone logically .
Hey, this you? I think someone might have hacked your account, as you claim to be the logical one here but these posts ended up being totally illogical. You should reset your password imo.

There is no conflict .
Sleepy's masters and puppet handlers are desperate to deflect from the Covid Hoax fragmenting into the nonsense it has always been .

Putin will do nothing providing the Luhansk and Donetsk enclaves are not touched .
Forgetting nuclear warfare which is pointless to speculate over , Russia could take Ukraine in days and the numbers of US forces involved would be minimal . They would be eliminated immediately .
The plan if required, which I still doubt , is pin point long range artillery via satellite targeting .
Russians will 'win' within 48 hours .
But he is operating to support the new independent Republics and not intending to harm civilians .

If he follows that brilliant single strategy he is in no way harming Ukraine
More crap .
Ukraine is now under full Russian control--- clear skies and no ground troops willing to show up .

A brilliant fast campaign

He's the Doctor Joseph Mercola of international politics.

He's the Doctor Joseph Mercola of international politics.

His views are echoed by George Kennan and CIA head William Burns amongst many others. I understand now that you have your fingers in your ears and are shouting loudly so as not to hear anything that isn't part of the MSM trash you are accustomed to. It's just the ridiculous lengths you are prepared to go to that's amusing

He is shockingly unaware that sovereignty states have the right to do whatever the hell they want.

I will take his judgement over your any day of the week. You can't even use the proper terminology ,so how are you expected to be taken more seriously than others that do?

BTW you have also made the case for the Russian invasion of Ukraine yourself but , I wager, will be blissfully unaware of why and how.

They become white noise anyhow. A closed mind is a dying mind and theirs died ,to all intents and purposes, long ago imo All's they can do is try to censor, evade and ridicule. It's what all the crowd members do when faced with a view/opinion that goes against what they have been told and hold as a core belief. It's the same throughout history, sheeple going to be sheeple.

Let alone logically .

They need time to rid themselves of hysteria and the dawning knowledge that the US Empire is half way down the plug hole .

For the mass of Americans I would say there's a whole load of truth to that. Mearsheimer is American, as is Chomky, Chris Hedges etc etc so it's not all Americans imo and thus the blanket use isn't correct

Going to bat for a murderous war criminal, eh?

Nope, I try to bowl them ALL out, you appear to be prepared to stick a pad in the way if they are from you own?

Different thing all together but I undertsand your wish to jump on the bandwagon

His views are echoed by George Kennan and CIA head William Burns amongst many others. I understand now that you have your fingers in your ears and are shouting loudly so as not to hear anything that isn't part of the MSM trash you are accustomed to. It's just the ridiculous lengths you are prepared to go to that's amusing

Rather than try to show us another video, why don't you link something of Burns supporting Mearsheimer's views...hard to do with Kennan, seeing as how he's been dead almost twenty years.
But if you're arguing "Soviet containment" and then pretending that siding with Putin's view of "NATO aggression", your logic has failed in a rather spectacular manner because NATO was formed to prevent
Soviet style expansionism into Europe.
Putin's invasion of Ukraine IS Soviet style encroachment into Europe, because NATO membership or lack thereof notwithstanding, Ukraine is the largest Eastern European democracy, and as democracy is the will of
the Ukrainian people, they're definitely not part of Russia.
Your ham-handed attempt to rehab Putin's views on Ukraine as being NATO policy on Soviet containment are laughable.

What else IS Kennan known for?

--Deep disdain for the very countries China is now making lucrative advances in: The Third World.

--Helping to cement the obituary for Mohammed Mossadegh, the democratically elected leader of Iran, who had the nerve, the gall, the absolute temerity to suggest that all that oil in the ground in Iran
belonged to the Persian people. For that he earned three years solitary confinement followed by permanent house arrest and witness to the descent of Iran into absolute monarchy and SAVAK terrorism
on Iran's own people. That's because the hissy fit by Mi5 and Kennan's support was sufficient to let the CIA engineer a coup to overthrow Mossadegh. Simply put, Iran's hostility toward the United States
is predicated on the fruits of Kennan's positions. Kennan is almost literally the Persian textbook definition of a "pedar sag".

--A do-nothing approach to the partition of Germany...as in something along the lines of: "If we just leave the Soviets alone, they will eventually withdraw from East Germany because they will feel safe in doing so".

You don't know jack shit about my views, but by all means keep trying to pigeonhole me.

PS:
"I have a soft spot in my mind for apartheid, not as practiced in South Africa, but as a concept." (George F. Kennan)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom