• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

John Mearsheimer on Putin's Invasion of Ukraine

It's best you don't watch the video. This is an expert discussing things you don't understand.
Lol, of course I'm not gonna waste an hour and a half of my time watching some blathering rwnj spew nonsense that even the OP didn't bother with.

You won't either.

Lol, of course I'm not gonna waste an hour and a half of my time watching some blathering rwnj spew nonsense that even the OP didn't bother with.

You won't either.

I already watched it. The guy is an incredible speaker.

It doesn't matter; not even an expert in his field could convince you of anything.

To be on the safe side, don't watch it.

Experts in their fields of study certainly don't convince you guys about the threat of climate change. But suddenly they matter...

And I've already watched most of his original lecture.

Then maybe you'll point to all the threads you started in 2014 about it. LOL
Your best response?

Sad.

Did you think Putin was done in ‘14?

Your best response?

Sad.

Did you think Putin was done in ‘14?

Joe Biden must have thought he was done. How else can you explain his inaction over the past year, and expecially in the 3 month lead up?

Experts in their fields of study certainly don't convince you guys about the threat of climate change. But suddenly they matter...

And I've already watched most of his original lecture.

Geoist has reported in.

Even if he posted some points and a short length of video to watch, nearly all of the replies would be the same, except people would just attack the points without watching the video. It's not much better for articles with short quotes posted. Most people here are in attack mode, even in normal times.

He should post some points, though.

Joe Biden must have thought he was done. How else can you explain his inaction over the past year, and expecially in the 3 month lead up?
Why’re you running from my question?

Did you think Putin was done with Ukraine in ‘14?

I didn’t have an idea of when Putin would return to take more, or all of Ukraine, but I was pretty sure he wasn’t done.

Why’re you running from my question?

Did you think Putin was done with Ukraine in ‘14?

I didn’t have an idea of when Putin would return to take more, or all of Ukraine, but I was pretty sure he wasn’t done.

Watch the video, or not. Who cares? Not me.

Then maybe you'll point to all the threads you started in 2014 about it. LOL

He probably hasn't bothered, but I know I've been commenting about the 2014 coup since that time, including in here (tiny correction: Nuland is married to Larry Kagan, prominent Neo-Con, and she worked for Dick Cheney during the Iraq invasion)

He probably hasn't bothered, but I know I've been commenting about the 2014 coup since that time, including in here.

Here ya go.
961BF376-28A2-4CA0-95E9-E935EB9F2406.jpeg

Please dispense with the "Russian bot", "Kremlin troll" crap. John Mearsheimer is a distinguished scholar who's been speaking for years on how the Ukraine crisis would blow up. He's really worth listening to:

In spite of your unwillingness to give a summary of his viewpoint, I went ahead and watched 80 percent of the video. I think there is value in it, but as a lesson in how confirmation bias works to distort reality.

From the outset Mearsheimer has a moral message, that someone has to be blamed, and to find out who should be blamed, one side or in the other. This alone undermines his academic objectivity, especially coming from an advocate of the amoral realist school of international relations. For example, why would a scholar assume that there can't be degrees of fault, a shared negligence, by both parties? How is it that, for example, Obama is guilty of something because he said Russia doesn't produce anything, but Putin is not guilty of provocation when he (or state press) mocked a President for his lack of manhood?

And who says, him being a realist, that "fault" is in any sense applicable if, as he claims, the great powers have inevitable desires and wants and actions that transcend any individual actors' desires?

One has the sense that Mearsheimer is working against himself, on one hand making Putin the center of expressing rational and plain-spoken objections for "Russia", while on the other dissing the western theory that Putin is behind Russia and his/their immoral actions.

Mearsheimer and McGovern use the typical rhetorical tricks, as much to convince themselves as the listener. They cherry pick events to make a case, ignoring other events, such as Obama canceling the European ABM system to keep Russia happy. They point out the cancelation of the open skies treaty, not pointing out that Putin was not allowing overflights of major areas of suspicion. They point out that Putin in 2008 may have considered NATO a threat but failed to note that that his public justification was to primarily to protect Russian minorities. They don't mention Putin and his Russian cruise missiles, breaking the treaty, or the NATO concession (prior to Putin) to Russia to not base permanent NATO forces in new member states.

And while he is dismissing Putin as the root of this crisis, he fails to address how it is that all this happens on Putin's watch? Not Yeltsin, not Medvedev (2009 to Jan 2012), but under Putin.

Did your speakers forget that Obama and Medvedev had an era of cooperation? They signed and ratified a new START treaty, voted to support the most comprehensive set of sanctions against Iran, provided supply routes through Russia for American supply in Afghanistan, got Russia in the WTO, and established far more liberal visa regime. Or how about the re affirmation of the US, UK, and Russia memorandum persevering Ukraine's sovereignty? That doesn't sound like a country who is deeply offended and driven to extremes because of NATO being perspective for Georgia in 2008, or later?

There is ONE common denominator to these Russian actions, i.e. Putin. Putin, not Russia, is the core problem. Every other US President and Russian President has got along very well.

When you know all the facts, and make all the connections, their analysis doesn't explain who's at fault, or than Putin.

Last edited:
Most people here are in attack mode, even in normal times.

I think people take issue with Mearsheimer and the people who promote him because they excuse Russia's actions. Yes, we get it, the West is trying to spread it's influence throughout eastern Europe. Russia doesn't like it. Still doesn't give them license to murder Ukrainian citizens.

I think people take issue with Mearsheimer and the people who promote him because they excuse Russia's actions. Yes, we get it, the West is trying to spread it's influence throughout eastern Europe. Russia doesn't like it. Still doesn't give them license to murder Ukrainian citizens.

Most people here take issue with anything but the dominant vapid narrative regarding Russia attacking Ukraine.

You've used two of the common reactions. I haven't seen anyone on DP excuse nor justify Russia attacking Ukraine.

Most people here take issue with anything but the dominant vapid narrative regarding Russia attacking Ukraine.

You've used two of the common reactions. I haven't seen anyone on DP excuse nor justify Russia attacking Ukraine.

I can think of at least two (and I'm not talking about sanman or Schism).

This thread just confirms my prior belief that conservatives don't know how to summarize points they want to make.
Dont know about conservatives but the extreme right wing whackos are very good at it,
Make America great again
Lock her up
Build the wall
etc etc etc..
Just dont expect anything beyond 3 words

No, it doesn't excuse Russia at all. What it does do is place in context our failure to reach diplomatic solutions to a problem that has been known to us for some time.

I can think of at least two (and I'm not talking about sanman or Schism).

Plenty of people have said 💩 like what I mentioned to me. It's sure shown me who's conservative and/or doesn't have good reasoning on the issue. Even people that claim to be more 'left.' More 'righties' have a better perspective on this.

No, it doesn't excuse Russia at all. What it does do is place in context our failure to reach diplomatic solutions to a problem that has been known to us for some time.
Bush 43 was an idiot. Obama was vain and weak. Trump was a useless corrupt, narcissistic, autocratic asshole only concerned with himself. There happy now?

Maybe if any one of them had been an actual President we would have been doing more Internationally and diplomatically than we were doing.

Back
Top Bottom