• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

John Mearsheimer on Putin's Invasion of Ukraine

Please dispense with the "Russian bot", "Kremlin troll" crap. John Mearsheimer is a distinguished scholar who's been speaking for years on how the Ukraine crisis would blow up. He's really worth listening to:

If that's the person I think it is, their argument is basically that we should have pushed Ukraine into being a neutral buffer state between NATO states and Russia. Based on a talk I saw them give back in 2015.
In that same talk, they said, to paraphrase: "If someone wanted to hurt Russia, they would push them into invading Ukraine".

They also said that Russia would never accept a NATO member Ukraine.

They're in the video.
Are you here to back some of the claims from the video as the basis for debate?
Or are you just asking us to watch this advertisement video? (the latter)

They're in the video.
I have over 400 movies on my Prime watchlist. I'll pass on what apparently is right wing propaganda. Unless you can give me some teasers?

This thread just confirms my prior belief that conservatives don't know how to summarize points they want to make.

Press Play and watch even the first 5 minutes, and you'll want to keep watching.

Spending more time telling us that you won't watch it, as opposed to actually watching it, epitomizes the close-mindedness.

Why be afraid of scholars who'll challenge your understanding of the situation?

I watched one of his addresses from several years ago, and it was easy to listen to. He is a good lecturer, presents an informed perspective. His message, on the other hand, is kind of painful.

I have over 400 movies on my Prime watchlist. I'll pass on what apparently is right wing propaganda. Unless you can give me some teasers?

Nope. Don't watch it. It's an expert speaking.

I watched one of his addresses from several years ago, and it was easy to listen to. He is a good lecturer, presents an informed perspective. His message, on the other hand, is kind of painful.

Yes, sometimes hard truths are hard to hear. But we must still try to listen, keeping our minds and ears open.

This thread just confirms my prior belief that conservatives don't know how to summarize points they want to make.

It doesn't matter; not even an expert in his field could convince you of anything.

To be on the safe side, don't watch it.

Please dispense with the "Russian bot", "Kremlin troll" crap. John Mearsheimer is a distinguished scholar who's been speaking for years on how the Ukraine crisis would blow up. He's really worth listening to:

Sorry...not interested

Are you here to back some of the claims from the video as the basis for debate?
Or are you just asking us to watch this advertisement video? (the latter)

How can I back him? He's an expert. It's best if you ignore it and go post in another thread where YOU're the expert.

i'm gonna go out on a limb and say the OP is trying somehow to side with Russia/Putin again.

Yes, sometimes hard truths are hard to hear. But we must still try to listen, keeping our minds and ears open.
His isn't the only 'truth' out there. It's one view. It makes some questionable assumptions, I think. But I'm not an expert on foreign affairs, so I take them all as fyi.

I will wait for the cliffs notes version. Anybody got one.

i'm gonna go out on a limb and say the OP is trying somehow to side with Russia/Putin again.
Not sure Mearscheimer actually takes sides, but what he says would bolster OP's general drift, yes.

Not sure Mearscheimer actually takes sides, but what he says would bolster OP's general drift, yes.
Personally I already know BORIS's position and I am NOT INTERESTED in any position BORIS wants to take on the Russian atrocity in Ukraine.

Personally I already know BORIS's position and I am NOT INTERESTED in any position BORIS wants to take on the Russian atrocity in Ukraine.
Cool. I had never heard of the guy before today, and since this thread is about him, just making a few comments.

Watch the video and see. His talk is not 1.5 hours.
There's a Q&A session afterwards which takes up time, but you should see that too.

Hey, we're all spending time talking about Ukraine. We might as well hear the words of some people who've been examining this problem well before this invasion started.

No, it's YOUR position so YOU do the work and give us a capsule summary and checkbox the time stamps where you think someone is making a salient point.

Watch the talk by Mearsheimer. You'll be glad you did.

He's been speaking about this Ukraine issue long before this invasion happened. He's a distinguished scholar and considered an expert on the topic.

McFaul doesn't think so.

Your level of intelligence is far too superior to be listening to foreign policy experts who are considered the top in their field.

It's best if you continue posting about how you're not going to watch the video, else it taint your views. LOL

No, it's YOUR position so YOU do the work and give us a capsule summary and checkbox the time stamps where you think someone is making a salient point.

Don't do it Sanman. Checkerboard Strangler is not interested in anything but arguing his stupid opinions.

No, it's lazy on your part to dismiss a subject matter expert.
Your weak reading comprehension skills are showing.

I didn’t dismiss the “subject matter expert”.
He literally predicted this war in 2014.
It literally didn’t take a genius, or even a “subject matter expert” to recognize the potential/likelihood that Putin would return to Ukraine.

Your weak reading comprehension skills are showing.

I didn’t dismiss the “subject matter expert”.

It literally didn’t take a genius, or even a “subject matter expert” to recognize the potential/likelihood that Putin would return to Ukraine.

Then maybe you'll point to all the threads you started in 2014 about it. LOL

Back
Top Bottom