• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

John McCain Blames Tea Party For Government Shutdown

head of joaquin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) blamed tea party Republicans for the government shutdown during a CNN interview on Wednesday, saying Congress never had a shot at defunding Obamacare.

“We started this on a fool’s errand, convincing so many millions of Americans and our supporters that we could defund Obamacare," McCain said.

While McCain didn't name names, he faulted members of Congress -- "tea partiers specifically" -- for wrongly telling "millions of Americans" that Obamacare can be defunded.

That "obviously wouldn’t happen until we had 67 Republican senators to override a presidential veto," McCain said.

McCain denounced the fight to defund Obamacare at the cost of a fiscal impasse even before the govenrment shut down last week. McCain called out Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) for his anti-Obamacare speech, and said "the people spoke" when they reelected President Barack Obama in 2012.

"We fought as hard as we could in a fair and honest manner and we lost," McCain said. "One of the reasons was because we were in the minority, and in democracies, almost always the majority governs and passes legislation."

McCain tends to vacillate between moments of deep clarity and principle, and moments of empty partisanship. This was a moment of clarity.

McCain tends to vacillate between moments of deep clarity and principle, and moments of empty partisanship. This was a moment of clarity.

It is legacy time for a lot of old RINOs, like McCain..
Since he is not in on the "current" conversation, he is not in my top 25 power pols..
Hatch may make a move for tonight's updated version..
McConnell is getting stonger and USA and Koch brother are in the 2nd five.

McCain's an odd duck. He totally caved to the right when he ran for president and said incredibly stupid things (not to mention foolishly had that horrid harpy as his running mate). Then, at other times he stands up for principle. Hard to figure him out. But he's no tea party troll, at least.

McCain is a dinosaur...and a RINO. He would have been a better President that Obama...but that isn't saying much. Heck, back in 2008 Hillary would have been a better President.

Does anyone really listen to McCain anymore? Oh, wait...you do, HoJ.

John McCain is the one to blame, him, the rest of the herd of RINO's and the Establishment jackels...

So, does the 'Tea Party' form a third-party option for the lunatic fringe or do they fade away without the Republican Party veneer of legitimacy? I'm saying they disappear as suddenly as they appeared.

That's the question Boehner is facing right now. He's trying to prevent a civil war breaking out between the normals and the freaks, but now he's taken it as far as he can without endangering the future of the normals. I've sort of concluded this entire sad debt ceiling/funding circus had nothing to do with the GOP/Democrat situation. It was all about an internal dispute of the Republicans.

The future's uncertain what will happen next with the Cruz's and Bachmanns of the GOP. I frankly don't know whether to root for the tea party's demise or continued parasitical existence in the GOP.

The number is now 4 RINOs who are challenging sitting TEAt Congresspeople..
House TEAt members who cross the KOCHs may be seeing their money against them..
We have a substandard running game, on both sides of the ball.
John McCain is the one to blame, him, the rest of the herd of RINO's and the Establishment jackels...

That's the question Boehner is facing right now. He's trying to prevent a civil war breaking out between the normals and the freaks, but now he's taken it as far as he can without endangering the future of the normals.
There can be no saying this is as far as Repubs will take it..They consistently continue to prove everyone wrong..
I've sort of concluded this entire sad debt ceiling/funding circus had nothing to do with the GOP/Democrat situation. It was all about an internal dispute of the Republicans.
This continues to be about Cantor and Obama, as it has been for 57 months.
The future's uncertain what will happen next with the Cruz's and Bachmanns of the GOP. I frankly don't know whether to root for the tea party's demise or continued parasitical existence in the GOP.

Do you see Cruz or Bachmann at the "conversations" at the WH??
They have been completely minimized by what they started and the Koch slap-down.

McCain is a stupid idiot. He should just admit he is in the wrong party

Why can't we push a button and transform all tea party members to Libertarians?

But seriously, the tea party was a decent idea that was then hijacked by neoconservatives and religious zealots. Their social views are laughable at best when it comes to reality. It seems that most of them are more intent on challenging the government than promoting freedom.

It seems like the movement is the last ditch effort of neoconservatives and traditionalists to make a stand and save their ideals. Hate to break it to them, but the future of the Right in American politics is economic and social/personal freedom.

There can be no saying this is as far as Repubs will take it..They consistently continue to prove everyone wrong..This continues to be about Cantor and Obama, as it has been for 57 months.

Do you see Cruz or Bachmann at the "conversations" at the WH??
They have been completely minimized by what they started and the Koch slap-down.

I did relish the Koch slapdown. I guess even the billionaire brothers saw their stocks in danger if Cruz kept plowing forward to default.

Why can't we push a button and transform all tea party members to Libertarians?

But seriously, the tea party was a decent idea that was then hijacked by neoconservatives and religious zealots. Their social views are laughable at best when it comes to reality. It seems that most of them are more intent on challenging the government than promoting freedom.

It seems like the movement is the last ditch effort of neoconservatives and traditionalists to make a stand and save their ideals. Hate to break it to them, but the future of the Right in American politics is economic and social/personal freedom.

In theory, but it will never get there. There are too many historical skeletons in the conservative closet for conservatism to abandon its worst instinct to control others.

In theory, but it will never get there. There are too many historical skeletons in the conservative closet for conservatism to abandon its worst instinct to control others.

It will be forced to - or die off and be replaced by a different ideology/party (Hopefully not "Moderate Conservatives", these guys are barely on the Right of things...).

Treasury Bills--The KOCHs lost millions on Tuesday night and so did the USA in cost of borrowing to do business..
Try to catch the clip of Bernstein slapping down Cantor as the REAL culprit since election night 2008 and much much more on Lawrence O'Donnell last night..
I did relish the Koch slapdown. I guess even the billionaire brothers saw their stocks in danger if Cruz kept plowing forward to default.

This is at the very least slightly disingenuous. Moments of deep clarity and principle seem to only be identified with siding with liberal Democrats, whereas empty partisanship seems to be identified whenever he turns into what liberals see as a form of a conservative (or a hawkish conservative)

McCain's an odd duck. He totally caved to the right when he ran for president and said incredibly stupid things (not to mention foolishly had that horrid harpy as his running mate). Then, at other times he stands up for principle. Hard to figure him out. But he's no tea party troll, at least.

Duh. He has to move to the Right to satisfy the rest of the party, much like a moderate Democrat would have to pivot to the Left to gain support of the base (and hope that liberals or left-wingers wouldn't be disproportionately willing to pull the plug for a primary challenger or a 3rd party candidate.

Moderate Conservative reminds me of what I believe to be the THIRD wing of the SCOTUS, Roberts and Kennedy..
I am comfortable to predict a future split decision with those two plus a mix of 4 from both "ideology" wings..
I believe split decisions, such as ACA and VRA, along with the coming Citizens Divided 2.0, will prove this.
It will be forced to - or die off and be replaced by a different ideology/party (Hopefully not "Moderate Conservatives", these guys are barely on the Right of things...).

Duh. He has to move to the Right to satisfy the rest of the party, much like a moderate Democrat would have to pivot to the Left to gain support of the base (and hope that liberals or left-wingers wouldn't be disproportionately willing to pull the plug for a primary challenger or a 3rd party candidate.[/COLOR]

A version of your Democratic discontent would be much lower voter turnout in 2010..
Young not energized for POTUS..
GLBT feeling slighted in accomplishments..
Lower 'minority' turnout, just a fact of life..
Disillusion watching the TEA rise..
Historic trend of lower Dem % at mid-terms.

That's the question Boehner is facing right now. He's trying to prevent a civil war breaking out between the normals and the freaks, but now he's taken it as far as he can without endangering the future of the normals. I've sort of concluded this entire sad debt ceiling/funding circus had nothing to do with the GOP/Democrat situation. It was all about an internal dispute of the Republicans.

Don't get too ahead of yourself. We still have republican Obama to deal with and we will see what he gives to republicans as a sacrifice to appease them. He has made it look like he fought the good fight, and no0w he is going to hand reps what they want. I hope I am wrong, but it is pretty much how Obama works. When he has it in the bag he hamstrings himself and gives it over to the reps.

Don't get too ahead of yourself. We still have republican Obama to deal with and we will see what he gives to republicans as a sacrifice to appease them. He has made it look like he fought the good fight, and no0w he is going to hand reps what they want. I hope I am wrong, but it is pretty much how Obama works. When he has it in the bag he hamstrings himself and gives it over to the reps.

That doesn't mean Obama is acting like a Republican. It only means he's a weak President who keeps making bad choices. For example, the last time he mixed it up with Boehner he said he wasn't going to negotiate these things anymore...that he was going to leave it up to Reid. Now he's changed his mind again and he's pissing off ultra-lefties like you.

Maybe y'all should elect Reid next time. LOL!!

That doesn't mean Obama is acting like a Republican. It only means he's a weak President who keeps making bad choices. For example, the last time he mixed it up with Boehner he said he wasn't going to negotiate these things anymore...that he was going to leave it up to Reid. Now he's changed his mind again and he's pissing off ultra-lefties like you.

Maybe y'all should elect Reid next time. LOL!!

I do not know why you complain so much about Obama, he gives you everything a republican would. Is it just that you don't like taking abuse and crap from a black man instead of a pasty white bush?

I am no real fan of McCain, but what he said here is absolutely true. Defunding Obamacare was NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. Not with Reid running the Senate and Obama in the White House. If republicans want to get rid of Obamacare they have to win elections. That said, their goal is the right one, but their tactics are foolish. The best move for them is to let Obamacare happen. If it is as bad as they believe it will be, people will turn out in droves to elect politicians to repeal the monster. THAT should be their tactic, not pointless brinksmanship.

I do not know why you complain so much about Obama, he gives you everything a republican would. Is it just that you don't like taking abuse and crap from a black man instead of a pasty white bush?

Is that the best you have, my dear? Trying to make it a race thing?

In any event, being an ultra-leftie, it's not surprising that you don't understand why anyone might find Obama lacking as a President.

I am no real fan of McCain, but what he said here is absolutely true. Defunding Obamacare was NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. Not with Reid running the Senate and Obama in the White House. If republicans want to get rid of Obamacare they have to win elections. That said, their goal is the right one, but their tactics are foolish. The best move for them is to let Obamacare happen. If it is as bad as they believe it will be, people will turn out in droves to elect politicians to repeal the monster. THAT should be their tactic, not pointless brinksmanship.

I think you give people way too much credit. If Obamacare is allowed to continue the people will get used to it...no matter how bad it is. You've heard about the frog in the pot of water?

Back
Top Bottom