• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

John Lennon RIP

H

hipsterdufus

As a 40 something, John Lennon's death 25 years ago was my "Dallas" for those that lived through the Kennedy assassination.

I know that John was at times naive and a contradiction, but for me and millions of other Americans - he instilled an activism and an awareness of politics that still burns in us to this day.

Now more than ever - I listen to his voice of altruism, hope and courage to cope with the utter contemptability for human life, lies and corruption that I fight against EVERY DAY.

I miss you John and it still hurts 25 years later.....

War is over - if you want it.
 

Billo_Really

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
I am still bothered by John Lennon's assassination.
 

debate_junkie

Worst Nightmare
Joined
Jul 4, 2005
Messages
919
Reaction score
19
Location
Pennsylvania
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
hipsterdufus said:
As a 40 something, John Lennon's death 25 years ago was my "Dallas" for those that lived through the Kennedy assassination.

I know that John was at times naive and a contradiction, but for me and millions of other Americans - he instilled an activism and an awareness of politics that still burns in us to this day.

Now more than ever - I listen to his voice of altruism, hope and courage to cope with the utter contemptability for human life, lies and corruption that I fight against EVERY DAY.

I miss you John and it still hurts 25 years later.....

War is over - if you want it.
As a child of 9 years old when John was murdered, it bothers me just as much today, at 34. I normally could care less about anniversaries and things of this nature for people I don't know, however, I sat in my car 2 days ago, in the parking lot at work, and bawled listening to Imagine, ironcially the same CD that came out in September of 1971, the year and month I was born.

My father instilled in me a love for the Beatles I think I never would have had, otherwise. However, out of that came a heap of respect for John Lennon, and his believing that he could make a difference. In a world where all too often one person will say to themselves, "I can't make a difference" He believed he could, and lived most of his adult life trying too.

I find it funny though, how the US government was so afraid of his speaking out against Vietnam, they tried to have him deported on bogus drug charges.
 

Deegan

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
debate_junkie said:
As a child of 9 years old when John was murdered, it bothers me just as much today, at 34. I normally could care less about anniversaries and things of this nature for people I don't know, however, I sat in my car 2 days ago, in the parking lot at work, and bawled listening to Imagine, ironcially the same CD that came out in September of 1971, the year and month I was born.

My father instilled in me a love for the Beatles I think I never would have had, otherwise. However, out of that came a heap of respect for John Lennon, and his believing that he could make a difference. In a world where all too often one person will say to themselves, "I can't make a difference" He believed he could, and lived most of his adult life trying too.

I find it funny though, how the US government was so afraid of his speaking out against Vietnam, they tried to have him deported on bogus drug charges.
His greatest work was done away from the Beatles, Imagine is pure poetry, my favorite song, still to this day.

Rest in Peace John
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Although I was a huge fan of the Beattles I was never a Lennon fan..

May he rest in peace though.....
 

Billo_Really

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally Posted by debate_junkie
I find it funny though, how the US government was so afraid of his speaking out against Vietnam, they tried to have him deported on bogus drug charges.
He is a perfect microcosm of just how screwed up we have let our government get B.B. He was someone that was the defination of PEACE. Yet he has a very large FBI file. Why? That's what they spend my tax dollars on?
 

Billo_Really

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally posted by Deegan:
His greatest work was done away from the Beatles, Imagine is pure poetry, my favorite song, still to this day.

Rest in Peace John
I'm kind of partial to "Working Class Hero".
 

Iriemon

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
19,405
Reaction score
2,187
Location
Miami
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
hipsterdufus said:
As a 40 something, John Lennon's death 25 years ago was my "Dallas" for those that lived through the Kennedy assassination.

I know that John was at times naive and a contradiction, but for me and millions of other Americans - he instilled an activism and an awareness of politics that still burns in us to this day.

Now more than ever - I listen to his voice of altruism, hope and courage to cope with the utter contemptability for human life, lies and corruption that I fight against EVERY DAY.

I miss you John and it still hurts 25 years later.....

War is over - if you want it.
Well said. Ditto.
 
H

hipsterdufus

Billo_Really said:
I'm kind of partial to "Working Class Hero".
Thom Hartman uses that as his bumper music a lot. You'd like Hartman, Bill, if you've never heard him.
 
Top Bottom