• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

John Kerry: Obama Can Bomb Assad Even If Congress Votes No

Beaudreaux

Preserve Protect Defend
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
If Congress votes no to action in Syria, and President Obama goes ahead and bombs anyway, he may very well be the third President Impeached by the US House of Representatives, but more worrisome, is that he may actually be the FIRST US President to be Impeached and then actually convicted and removed from office by the US Senate sitting in Jury.

Read this article, then let me know if you agree:

A Constitutional Crisis, like no other, would ensue.

Re: The Third Presidential Impeachment - The Beginning

The War Powers Resolution requires the President to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30 day withdrawal period, without an authorization of the use of military force or a declaration of war.

War Powers Resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When Obama violated the 90 days on that resolution, he simply claimed authority via the enforcement of a treaty. So there are at least two legal ways for him to do what he wants regardless of congress.

When Obama violated the 90 days on that resolution, he simply claimed authority via the enforcement of a treaty. So there are at least two legal ways for him to do what he wants regardless of congress.

That ignores the Constitutional Crisis I referred to.

If Obama had not gone to Congress, and Congress did not vote, the War Powers Act would have supremacy. However, once the President goes to Congress, and they vote, the US Constitution has supremacy via Article I, Section 8, Clause 11: The Congress shall have Power... To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water; ...

And make no mistake, bombing another country is an act of War.

So, once Congress votes, that's the last, conclusive and undeniable word. The law as prescribed in the Constitution, which is superior to all other laws. If that wasn't true, there would be no need for the SCOTUS to review laws for Constitutionality such the ACA, or Voting Rights Act, or...

It doesn't matter if he's gone to congress first or not. It's not like they're gonna pass a "No doing anything about Syria" bill.

Huffington is a stupid website, I hope you learn from this.

It doesn't matter if he's gone to congress first or not. It's not like they're gonna pass a "No doing anything about Syria" bill.

Huffington is a stupid website, I hope you learn from this.

You think Congress will vote a military strike?

PS:
I read Huffington once in a while and can't really place them. But they do not seem up to The Hearald Tribune or Washington Post.

You think Congress will vote a military strike?

Yes, I think so but that's not relevant to the topic. Unless congress passes a "no action in Syria is allowed" bill (which is not on the table), then Obama can still cite the WPR or treaty obligation as legal means of doing as he likes.

PS:
I read Huffington once in a while and can't really place them. But they do not seem up to The Hearald Tribune or Washington Post.

It's a fringe "us vs. them" website dedicated to demonization and misinformation, a liberal version of Town Hall.

That ignores the Constitutional Crisis I referred to.

If Obama had not gone to Congress, and Congress did not vote, the War Powers Act would have supremacy. However, once the President goes to Congress, and they vote, the US Constitution has supremacy via Article I, Section 8, Clause 11: The Congress shall have Power... To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water; ...

So, once Congress votes, that's the last, conclusive and undeniable word. The law as prescribed in the Constitution, which is superior to all other laws. If that wasn't true, there would be no need for the SCOTUS to review laws for Constitutionality such the ACA, or Voting Rights Act, or...

"High Crimes and misdemeanors" are not defined in the Constitution and Congress can impeach a President for any reason they so desire despite what armchair commentators would have you believe. The House issues the articles and the Senate holds the trial. There is no judicial review in Presidential Impeachments. It is an unique legislative power checked only by the electorate. It is a subject that was researched extensively by, ironically enough, Gerald Ford before he became President who was charged with the task in anticipation of possible impeachment proceedings against Nixon.

Yes, I think so but that's not relevant to the topic. Unless congress passes a "no action in Syria is allowed" bill (which is not on the table), then Obama can still cite the WPR or treaty obligation as legal means of doing as he likes.

It's a fringe "us vs. them" website dedicated to demonization and misinformation, a liberal version of Town Hall.
Huffpoo is for people who like their news without actual content, and details. Only headlines.

He's asking for their approval, not permission. I don't know why he's even bothering, except for political reasons, since he clearly intends to go thru with it.

If Congress votes no to action in Syria, and President Obama goes ahead and bombs anyway, he may very well be the third President Impeached by the US House of Representatives, but more worrisome, is that he may actually be the FIRST US President to be Impeached and then actually convicted and removed from office by the US Senate sitting in Jury.

Candidly, I would be shocked if Obama did anything after a negative vote from Congress. The USC is very important to this man.

Vietnam. Kosovo. Libya (x2; 1986 an 2012). Pakistan. Probably a lot more I'm not thinking of. We bomb countries we aren't at war with.

The War Powers act does not apply here, it really didnt apply to the Libya situation either but he got a free pass on that because our politicians have no spines and were scared to be called racists for doing anything that might even seem to be in disagreement with the first White-African American President.

Syria is no imminent threat to the US.

In order to invoke the War Powers Act the President (any President) needs to prove the immanency of the threat.

Obama would never be removed from office, the Democrat controlled Senate would make sure of it.

He's asking for their approval, not permission. I don't know why he's even bothering, except for political reasons, since he clearly intends to go thru with it.

I think you may be right, I think no matter what Congress or the American people say he will attack anyway.

Thats what happens when we have a man in office that thinks that the Constitution does not apply to him.

Vietnam. Kosovo. Libya (x2; 1986 an 2012). Pakistan. Probably a lot more I'm not thinking of. We bomb countries we aren't at war with.

You forgot Serbia, Laos and Cambodia.

You forgot Serbia, Laos and Cambodia.

Yemen, Sudan, Colombia, Somalia and a ton of other countries most likely..

Not gonna happen. Impeachment on this subject is pure politics. Obama going to congress was for political cover but it's 50/50 whether he does it against congress. War powers act is clear on this and if someone wants impeachment they're going to need to come up with something better.

The War Powers act does not apply here, it really didnt apply to the Libya situation either but he got a free pass on that because our politicians have no spines and were scared to be called racists for doing anything that might even seem to be in disagreement with the first White-African American President.

Syria is no imminent threat to the US.

In order to invoke the War Powers Act the President (any President) needs to prove the immanency of the threat.

Obama would never be removed from office, the Democrat controlled Senate would make sure of it.

That's BS. The WPR can be invoked for basically any reason. There is no requirement to prove imminent threat to the US itself. Further, Obama cited treaty enforcement - not the WPR -for his actions regarding Libya. Either of those excuses work just fine even after congress votes not to intervene.

You completely missed Beau's point. The very act of bombing a country, IS an act of war, regardless of what you want to call it.

The Senate will not vote to convict.

You completely missed Beau's point. The very act of bombing a country, IS an act of war, regardless of what you want to call it.

No matter what I want to call it? The Government doesn't call me to ask me what to call military actions. USA does a lot of overt and covert things that are not called war. I listed some. If that list offends your delicate sensibilities; contact your congressman or complain to your parents. Whining to me doesn't do anything.

Thats what happens when we have a man in office that thinks that the Constitution does not apply to him.

Silly assertion. He knows the USC applies to him, knows everything there is to know about the USC, and is doing what he thinks is best for the country. Everyone knew Obama and Romney when it was time to vote and they picked the guy. The complaints are just armchair quarterbacking by malcontents and it has to be viewed in that context.

No matter what I want to call it? The Government doesn't call me to ask me what to call military actions. USA does a lot of overt and covert things that are not called war. I listed some. If that list offends your delicate sensibilities; contact your congressman or complain to your parents. Whining to me doesn't do anything.

Dropping bombs on a country is an action of war! Period. It's not an action of love and peace or a wake up call for tea and crumpets. This is missing you somehow.

Dropping bombs on a country is an action of war! Period. It's not an action of love and peace or a wake up call for tea and crumpets. This is missing you somehow.

Military action <> war in every case. Your definition is merely YOUR definition and not how the real world works. A war is when Congress approves a declaration of war. Otherwise it's merely a military action or armed conflict and at the POTUS discretion. What went profoundly wrong during your time in academia that your social studies teachers didn't cover these important details pertaining to the USC. When I was growing up in the late 60's the teachers spent quite a bit of time discussing Vietnam. Were you just not curious? That's OK if you weren't. I know there were probably some kids that were more into Barbie and Ken when the rest of us were playing with GI Joe.

Military action <> war in every case. Your definition is merely YOUR definition and not how the real world works. A war is when Congress approves a declaration of war. Otherwise it's merely a military action or armed conflict and at the POTUS discretion. What went profoundly wrong during your time in academia that your social studies teachers didn't cover these important details pertaining to the USC. When I was growing up in the late 60's the teachers spent quite a bit of time discussing Vietnam. Were you just not curious? That's OK if you weren't. I know there were probably some kids that were more into Barbie and Ken when the rest of us were playing with GI Joe.

When Japan bombed us at Pearl Harbor, it was an ACT of war. Our blockade of their fuel lines prior to, was an act of war, that's all Beau was trying to point out to you and that's all I was saying as well.

When Japan bombed us at Pearl Harbor, it was an ACT of war. Our blockade of their fuel lines prior to, was an act of war, that's all Beau was trying to point out to you and that's all I was saying as well.

I would totally agree with you that military aggression causes wars. I was just saying it's not war until Congress says it's war.

I'm really not all that worried about Syria. I just don't see that Russia can do anything and I don't see USA doing much unless Syria gassed Israel (which would be suicide). I'm actually bummed that we would back Al Qaeda, but I kind of look at it like a stickball game at the park. Russia got to pick first so we had to pick the fat kid in the back because he was the only one left. I think Russia and USA are just looking at Syria as a profit opportunity (weapons sales now and eventually rebuilding contracts). I don't think we really care about arab muslims.

Back
Top Bottom