• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

John Kerry likens U.S. Soldiers to terrorists.

FinnMacCool said:
This one should go to the basement and I hope it does so I can tell Trajan what he really is. Just look at the title of the thread. Very good basement material.
First of all, Kerry said exactly that about our troops. Second, this story is all over the talk shows, so it is an obvious topical discussion. Again, you libs want to squash what you disagree with. Tough.

If you read the rest of Kerry's comments, you find that he said that US soldiers shouldn't be doing the terrorizig, it should be Iraqi soldiers that are doing the terrorizing. Nice guy.

First of all, Kerry said exactly that about our troops. Second, this story is all over the talk shows, so it is an obvious topical discussion. Again, you libs want to squash what you disagree with. Tough.

This is just a poor attempt by you and your friend Rush and the Republican propaganda machine to distract us with idiotic allegations instead of confronting real issues.

FinnMacCool said:
This is just a poor attempt by you and your friend Rush and the Republican propaganda machine to distract us with idiotic allegations instead of confronting real issues.
What is poor about it? Did Kerry say our troops are terrorizing Iraqis in the dead of night or didn't he? And please leave Rush out of it. I didn't mention him nor do I know his opinion on this matter. Debate like an adult or go away.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
And I'll repeat to pander to his fanatical leftist base.
So, you're saying that Kerry said that the US military personel frightened children so that the US military personel could pander to John Kerry's fanatical leftist base.
That makes no sense.
I'd really like to see how you got that out of the statement. Further, if John Kerry thought that US military personel were pandering to John Kerry's fanatical leftist base, why would he make such a fuss?

KCConservative said:
What is poor about it? Did Kerry say our troops are terrorizing Iraqis in the dead of night or didn't he? And please leave Rush out of it. I didn't mention him nor do I know his opinion on this matter. Debate like an adult or go away.

[Moderator mode]

How about "Don't attack other members like that or you will be sent away"?...

[/Moderator mode]

cnredd said:
[Moderator mode]

How about "Don't attack other members like that or you will be sent away"?...

[/Moderator mode]

:roll: Good Lord. You're right, redd. Allow him to call others idiotic and such. We'll just sit on our hands.

KCConservative said:
Why is anything you disagree with threathened with the Basement? Are you sure you have the impartiality required for moderating?
[MOD MODE]
As I've already told you (more than once IIRC), if you have an issue w/ me, or with my moderating, please feel free to pm me, email me, or pm or email vauge or another Mod Team member.
Alternatively, please feel free to dedicate a thread in the Basement to the subject.
But please quit trying to start conversations about your personal issues in the middle of threads.
[/MOD MODE]

Simon W. Moon said:
[MOD MODE]
As I've already told you (more than once IIRC), if you have an issue w/ me, or with my moderating, please feel free to pm me, email me, or pm or email vauge or another Mod Team member.
Alternatively, please feel free to dedicate a thread in the Basement to the subject.
But please quit trying to start conversations about your personal issues in the middle of threads.
[/MOD MODE]
Why do you consider this thread one for the basement? It is completely topical.

KCConservative said:
:roll: Good Lord. You're right, redd. Allow him to call others idiotic and such. We'll just sit on our hands.

[Moderator mode]

This would've been a good time to show that you were the better person and show how the allegations are legitimate in a debatable manner and not "idiotic" at all..

And instead of a rebuttal to his accusations of "idiotic allegations" you decide to come back with an insult?....Don't think so...

[/Moderator mode]

cnredd said:
[Moderator mode]

This would've been a good time to show that you were the better person and show how the allegations are legitimate in a debatable manner and not "idiotic" at all..

And instead of a rebuttal to his accusations of "idiotic allegations" you decide to come back with an insult?....Don't think so...

[/Moderator mode]
I did so. I asked if John Kerry made those remarks or not. I asked if it was topical and currently in the news. I asked what made it idiotic. Nothing, just your cheap shot.

Listen, you kids have fun.

Come on Simon did you fail reading comprehension class or something? It's all right here in plain English:

"...And there is no reason, Bob, that young American soldiers need to be going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night, terrorizing kids and children, you know, women, breaking sort of the customs of the–of–the historical customs, religious customs. Whether you like it or not… " - John Kerry

Now, Simon if one is terrorizing another that would make them aaa??? (. . . . . . . )???

lmfao ok ok, we'll bust out the dictionary just in case you don't get where I'm going with this:

Terrorize/Terrorizing - ter·ror·ize

ter·ror·ize [térrə rz]
(past ter·ror·ized, past participle ter·ror·ized, present participle ter·ror·iz·ing, 3rd person present singular ter·ror·iz·es)
vt
1. motivate somebody by violence: to intimidate or coerce somebody with violence or the threat of violence
2. make somebody very fearful: to fill somebody with feelings of intense fear over a period of time

Terrorism - ter·ror·ism

ter·ror·ism [térrə rìzzəm]
n
political violence: violence or the threat of violence, especially bombing, kidnapping, and assassination, carried out for political purposes

Terrorist - ter·ror·ist

ter·ror·ist [térrərist]
(plural ter·ror·ists)
n
somebody using violence for political purposes: somebody who uses violence or the threat of violence, especially bombing, kidnapping, and assassination, to intimidate, often for political purposes

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Words mean things Simon you should know that by now.

Are you serious? Did you hear this interview? I did, and in no way did Kerry liken American soldiers to terrorists. The point is much different than that.

cnredd said:
Could you please show the forum where Kerry mentioned ANYTHING about "terrorizing the children" as being "inadvertent"?...
Why on earth would the default position be that US military personel burst into homes for the prupose of terrifying children?
I assumed that it was a given that the military was performing there regular duties rather than seeking to terrify kids. I guess I was mistaken.

Could you please show where Mr. Kerry says that the US military personel's purpose in forcing there way into homes is to scare the kids?

cnredd said:
Unless you just FEEL like throwing that word out there to soften the blow of his remarks, I am under the impression that Kerry meant what he said and it should be taken at face falue...
I agree. I just assumed that the there was no reason to believe that he said the US military took it upon themselves to make frightening the children as an intentional goal.
Are you referring to Kerry saying this someplace else?

Simon W. Moon said:
Why on earth would the default position be that US military personel burst into homes for the prupose of terrifying children?
I assumed that it was a given that the military was performing there regular duties rather than seeking to terrify kids. I guess I was mistaken.
Oh really?

I guess you haven't seen where the media and certain politicos have deemed Abu Gharib, Gitmo, and secret prisons throughout Europe(with the implication of torture) "regular duties"?...After all of the negative actions pointed out by these outlets, why would YOU assume that Kerry did not EXPLICITLY mean that the "terrorizing of children" was the purpose?...

No...If Kerry didn't want anyone to believe that we weren't doing this on purpose and this was just an effect of a more important event like raiding homes to defeat terrorism...He's smart enough to say so...

Simon W. Moon said:
Could you please show where Mr. Kerry says that the US military personel's purpose in forcing there way into homes is to scare the kids?
Refer to the actual quote...I said I take it at face value...You're the one implicating he didn't really mean it when he said it...

Simon W. Moon said:
I agree. I just assumed that the there was no reason to believe that he said the US military took it upon themselves to make frightening the children as an intentional goal.
Are you referring to Kerry saying this someplace else?
I'm only referring to what has been said by Kerry in this instance...

I would LIKE to believe that he doesn't think that "terrorizing the children" would be "inadverdant", but his past history and words lead me to believe otherwise...

If it truely was "inadverdant", he would have said so or he wouldn't have made the full statement AT ALL...

ShullsM said:
Are you serious? Did you hear this interview? I did, and in no way did Kerry liken American soldiers to terrorists. The point is much different than that.

Really so if you're so enlightened as to the discussion then what exactly do you think Hanoi John meant when he said that U.S. troops were terroirizing the Iraqi populace it seems pretty clear cut case to me especially when taken in the context of what he said in the Senate hearing after Vietnam.

ShullsM said:

He said:

there is no reason, Bob, that young American soldiers need to be going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night, terrorizing kids and children

What's so difficult to understand, shulls?

If I didn't know Kerry so well, I could make the argument that he was correct. I could easily say, it would be better for the Iraqi's to be going in to Iraqi homes. They speak the language, they are more trusted, they can build better relations. Still, Kerry obviously does not know the threats there, they are bombs, and guns, and this is what we are looking for, not to terrorize children. He just does not express himself well, that's why he is not president, and look who he was up against, lol.

Deegan said:
If I didn't know Kerry so well, I could make the argument that he was correct. I could easily say, it would be better for the Iraqi's to be going in to Iraqi homes. They speak the language, they are more trusted, they can build better relations. Still, Kerry obviously does not know the threats there, they are bombs, and guns, and this is what we are looking for, not to terrorize children. He just does not express himself well, that's why he is not president, and look who he was up against, lol.
If Bob Shiffer was a real journalist, he would followed that statement with "You're not explicitly saying that the US troops are terrorists, are you?"...Then Kerry could've elaborated and explain what he meant...if he indeed meant something different than what he said...

Instead, the quote stands on its own...

cnredd said:
If Bob Shiffer was a real journalist, he would followed that statement with "You're not explicitly saying that the US troops are terrorists, are you?"...Then Kerry could've elaborated and explain what he meant...if he indeed meant something different than what he said...

Instead, the quote stands on its own...

I agree, that statement certainly should have been examined a tad bit more, but that's our media for ya.

cnredd said:
Refer to the actual quote...I said I take it at face value...You're the one implicating he didn't really mean it when he said it...
I'm not aware that he made any comments as to the folks' intentions. So, I went with what seemed the reasonable normal default - that the fear of the children was a by-product rather than a chief product. I freely admit that I made an assumption as to what the default interpretation should be.
However, I still think that the onus is on the folks who say that the reasonable default proposition is not the correct one to use to show that the unreasonable one is the correct one to use.

cnredd said:
Would Federal officers breaking and entering into a home in the middle of a night with weapons drawn be considered a terrorist act?...Would they "terrorize children" while cracking down on the local drug ring?...I think that would be terrorizing the inhabitants also...

You should have heard the Republicans down here in Miami howling about terrorizing kids when the Fed broke in sezied Elian Gonzalez a few years ago.

I'm sure you can do that with any enforcement...But what you fail to realize that some of the inhabitants themselves put the rest of the inhabitants in that position...If someone is making bombs in their basement and the US forces find out about it and raid the place, it was the bomber that initiated the raid, not the forces...

That fact doesn't it make it less terrorizing to the folks whose homes the soldiers break into. Do you have a cite that that all the houses where the soldiers raid have people making bombs in them? Or are you just assuming that?

[/quote]"Breaking into homes" could save dozens of lives, yet Kerry wants to point out that little Mohammad has a tear in his eye...:roll:[/QUOTE]

You think little Mohammed is going to be real pro-America after that? Foreign soldiers breaking in and ransacking the house and ordering mom and dad on the floor while pointing guns at them is going to give them a warm and fuzzy feeling toward the good old USA?

I did so. I asked if John Kerry made those remarks or not. I asked if it was topical and currently in the news. I asked what made it idiotic. Nothing, just your cheap shot.

I originally did respond to it but as nobody has given an adequate response, it would be simply redundant to go through the same arguments over and over again, note my dismissive attitude towards your sentiments.

Really so if you're so enlightened as to the discussion then what exactly do you think Hanoi John meant when he said that U.S. troops were terroirizing the Iraqi populace it seems pretty clear cut case to me especially when taken in the context of what he said in the Senate hearing after Vietnam.
Ok, ok, you're right. I should at least acknowledge some sort of explanation behind my comments. My interpretation of what Kerry said is that he was implying that the nightly duties of our soldiers is to go into homes looking for activity in which they are ordered to stop. By doing so, kids and children are being terrorized, inadvertently, because of the foreign faces of American soldiers and the force with which they enter homes and do their jobs. Please don't take "the force with which they enter homes and do their jobs" out of context. Any child would be afraid of something happening with that sort of description. What he was saying is that it would be more appropriate, eventually, for the Iraqi people to enforce their own justice and enter homes themselves. The Iraqis entering homes would be far less "terrorizing" than the Americans entering the homes. I can't imagine, but I'm sure if anyone entered my home in such a way, it would be a "terrorizing" experience. But, it is part of the job that were sent over to do.

I don't think John Kerry was likening American troops to terrorists, not in the way in which the title of this thread implies. Again, this is my interpretation and I don't expect you to agree with it, however, I do owe it to you.

At the very least the leaders in the democratic party (Dean, Kerry, Murtha) are gulity of being stupid in that they continue opening their mouth and inserting their foot by making outrageous lying partisan statements against our military and then they turn around and say they support the military they are making the outrageous, lying, partisan statements about.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the very least the leaders in the democratic party (Dean, Kerry, Murtha) are gulity of being stupid in that they continue opening their mouth and inserting their foot by making outrageous lying partisan statements against our military and then they turn around and say they support the military they are making the outrageous, lying, partisan statements about.....

Murtha's on the list now?

Back
Top Bottom