• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

John Basilone

Higgins86

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
So I have been reading a book about the US Marines actions in the Pacific theatre and John Basilone comes up on several occasions. Fascinating story and an amazing man. Awarded the medal of honour and the Navy cross.
Questions to Marines on here, is this a man you learn about? Is he still a legend in the Marines?

So I have been reading a book about the US Marines actions in the Pacific theatre and John Basilone comes up on several occasions. Fascinating story and an amazing man. Awarded the medal of honour and the Navy cross.
Questions to Marines on here, is this a man you learn about? Is he still a legend in the Marines?

I dunno if they learn about him, but they should. He kinda defined the idea of service.

This man is absolutely a legend in the Marines. Every Marine learns about him in Boot Camp, and his statue stands in the center of the main center roundabout at Camp Lejeune.

Side note: It is fortunate that our 0331's tend to be dummies, else they would use his example in the constant rivalry between the weapons' MOS's. Certainly 0351's, being more intelligent, more artistic, better read, and better looking, would do so, were such a giant one of their own.

I dunno if they learn about him, but they should. He kinda defined the idea of service.

That's what blew me away, his sense of duty. Imagine seeing what we saw, won the Medal of Honour and still chose to serve again in combat for Iwo Jima. Amazing.

I honestly haven't studied the man. I'm loyal to the army but have done a lot of work on camp Pendleton and there are main roads named after him. An awesome marine no doubt.

This man is absolutely a legend in the Marines. Every Marine learns about him in Boot Camp, and his statue stands in the center of the main center roundabout at Camp Lejeune.

Side note: It is fortunate that our 0331's tend to be dummies, else they would use his example in the constant rivalry between the weapons' MOS's. Certainly 0351's, being more intelligent, more artistic, better read, and better looking, would do so, were such a giant one of their own.

I'm strangely comforted by this, I was hoping he wasn't lost to the pages of history. They should make a movie about him.

I'm strangely comforted by this, I was hoping he wasn't lost to the pages of history. They should make a movie about him.

He's in The Pacific.

Just googled that, looks like a band of brothers type series. All over it.

Very much a Band of Brothers type series. A lot of the same people involved. Well worth watching.

They have street/road named after him at Camp Pendelton.11th Marines used to be on Basilone(at gulf corse rd) before they moved to 29 stumps.:2wave:

Very much a Band of Brothers type series. A lot of the same people involved. Well worth watching.

Without the relative happy ending I bet.

Just really started getting into the pacific conflict and I have to say I was caught of guard by how brutal it was compared to Europe. Sure D-day, market garden, the bulge etc were no picnic but they got some rest bite. The battles on some of those islands went on for weeks and the horror seemed so constant. The enemy ruthless, conditions horrific etc. Really gave me a whole new level of respect for the US marines.

A very tragic but inspiring story. I used to live close to Camp Pendleton where he served as a DI until he shipped off to Iwo Jima. The base has many reminders of his service. His wife never remarried and lived out her days in Los Angeles. His hometown in New Jersey still has an annual parade in his honor. Selfless is a word I would use to describe the man.

Just really started getting into the pacific conflict and I have to say I was caught of guard by how brutal it was compared to Europe. Sure D-day, market garden, the bulge etc were no picnic but they got some rest bite. The battles on some of those islands went on for weeks and the horror seemed so constant. The enemy ruthless, conditions horrific etc. Really gave me a whole new level of respect for the US marines.

Check out https://www.amazon.com/Neptunes-Inf...d=1468287367&sr=8-1&keywords=neptunes+inferno. The vast majority of the fighting and dying at Guadacanal happened offshore.

If you want a book that will not bar holds, recommend With the Old Breed.

I will second that recommendation. With a Helmet For My Pillow would be another great read.

That's actually one of the books I just read before this last one. Peleiu sounded like hell on earth.

The fact the US never even used Peleiu killed me as well

The fact the US never even used Peleiu killed me as well

As with most ****ups in the Pacific, Dougout Doug McArthur had his hand in that.

As with most ****ups in the Pacific, Dougout Doug McArthur had his hand in that.
That man.....

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Crazy they gave him the medal of Honour and crazier he accepted.
He's what would happen if Trump were allowed to be a General. Not crazy he accepted, it's who he was. A showboat.

He's what would happen if Trump were allowed to be a General. Not crazy he accepted, it's who he was. A showboat.

In his defense, he did a pretty good job in Japan after the war, right up to the lead up to Korea. And whenever he talked to the press. And his undercutting civilian authority. And damn near everything to do with Korea, Formosa, China, and the Soviets...

In his defense, he did a pretty good job in Japan after the war

The one time the job called for someone who was mentally prepared to step into the vacuum of a self-proclaimed God-King, I'll admit, he filled the niche.

, right up to the lead up to Korea. And whenever he talked to the press. And his undercutting civilian authority. And damn near everything to do with Korea, Formosa, China, and the Soviets...

Yeah. Let's Nuke China was a brilliant response.

He deserves credit for the gamble at Inchon - I will give him that.

I have a book called The Pacific and he's in it. That's why I know who he was

Back
Top Bottom