• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Joel Stein

Are you offended by Joel Stein's article saying he doesn't support our troops?

• Total voters

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Here's the article, if you haven't read it by now:
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion...,4137172.column?coll=la-news-comment-opinions

My question is this: Are you offended by what he wrote? This question is specifically directed at conservatives who claim you can't support the troops without supporting their mission, but anyone is welcome to answer.

It seems to me that if you claim his article was incredibly offensive and over-the-line, it's a tacit admission that you DO recognize a difference between supporting the troops and supporting their mission. After all, lots of people have written editorials opposing the war in Iraq, but few have generated the kind of firestorm that Joel Stein has.

Thoughts?

I am unoffended by this article but I bet our troops are. Though I doapplaud him for atleast being honest even if I don't agree with what he says.

I'm not offended in the least, not even as a prior troop who does not support the reasons why we're in Iraq.

See, that's the distinction that many people fail to recognize - you CAN support the troops, and hope that they succeed in their mission, without supporting the reasons as to why they are there. I've been doing it for years, and you all know that I've sent various family members over there multiple times, so I really do know what I'm talking about - and anyone that wants to try and say that I didn't support myself, or my family members, simply because I don't support the reasoning behind Iraq, is full of crap.....lots of other things I could say in regards to that, but I'll refrain.

That being said, I'm not offended because Mr. Stein was simply expressing his opinion. He wasn't trying to pass it off as indisputable fact - it is merely his opinion, and he is entitled to it. Yes, I realize that sounds contradictory to the above paragraph, but then again, Mr. Stein does not know me or my family; and he has not tried to level that opinion to my face. I can guarantee he'd get a good debate if he ever did, though. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom