• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Joe to make Roe vs Wade the law of the land

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Joe Biden Says if Amy Coney Barrett Overturns Roe v. Wade, He'll Make It 'The Law of the Land'

Former Vice President Joe Biden has said he'll move to protect abortion rights if the Supreme Court strikes down Roe v. Wade, the historic decision that protected a woman's right to have an abortion.

The Democratic presidential nominee told an NBC News town hall in Miami on Monday that if the historic ruling on abortion is overturned, his "only response to that is pass legislation making Roe the law of the land. That's what I would do."

The republicans don't want this bill as it passes through the house and senate. It'll be them versus the women of America, something that will hurt them in elections for years to come.

Do you think Joe and the democrats will make Roe vs Wade the law of the land?

Former Vice President Joe Biden has said he'll move to protect abortion rights if the Supreme Court strikes down Roe v. Wade, the historic decision that protected a woman's right to have an abortion. ... Do you think Joe and the democrats will make Roe vs Wade the law of the land?

I hope so. I think each woman needs to keep the right to decide for herself whether or not to continue a pregnancy as an absolute one. If the USSC ever overturns Roe (which I hope will never happen), I hope Biden and the Democrats would fight like hell to make abortion rights for women the law in the U.S.

Joe Biden Says if Amy Coney Barrett Overturns Roe v. Wade, He'll Make It 'The Law of the Land' Do you think Joe and the democrats will make Roe vs Wade the law of the land?

It all depends on what party controls the Senate.

Roe isn't just about abortion. Essentially Roe says: Women have a right to make personal decisions about their private lives and abortion is one of those personal decisions. If Roe is overturned the finding that women have a right to private lives that they control is jeopardized. If you cannot make decisions about your private life, you don't have a private life.

Joe Biden Says if Amy Coney Barrett Overturns Roe v. Wade, He'll Make It 'The Law of the Land'

Former Vice President Joe Biden has said he'll move to protect abortion rights if the Supreme Court strikes down Roe v. Wade, the historic decision that protected a woman's right to have an abortion.

The Democratic presidential nominee told an NBC News town hall in Miami on Monday that if the historic ruling on abortion is overturned, his "only response to that is pass legislation making Roe the law of the land. That's what I would do."

The republicans don't want this bill as it passes through the house and senate. It'll be them versus the women of America, something that will hurt them in elections for years to come.

I dont see any way that, realistically, RvW can be overturned. If it is, I support Joe 100%.

I dont see any way that, realistically, RvW can be overturned. If it is, I support Joe 100%.
Practically, I’m not sure how Biden could make Roe “law of the land” after SCOTUS finds it unconstitutional.

If that was something he wanted to do, he had a few years in the Senate and as vice president, why didn't he ever make an effort then? Why would I beleive him now? Scotus is always in danger of flipping one way or the other, even if you pack it, so the threat from losing RBG and being replaced by ACB couldn't be the driving factor for why he is saying this now. Comes across as pandering.

Practically, I’m not sure how Biden could make Roe “law of the land” after SCOTUS finds it unconstitutional.
It's nearly impossible to criminalize having an abortion. As in, a woman could go somewhere else, another state, another country, a ship in international waters, and have one, and it would not be a criminal act. If you disagree, what would be the legal basis for the charge?

The most they can do is criminalize doing the procedure. And if it comes down to the states, many have already said they'd keep the procedure legal. I dont know what they could do at the federal level to prevent doing the procedure nationwide, that would be an interesting discussion.

If that was something he wanted to do, he had a few years in the Senate and as vice president, why didn't he ever make an effort then? Why would I beleive him now? Scotus is always in danger of flipping one way or the other, even if you pack it, so the threat from losing RBG and being replaced by ACB couldn't be the driving factor for why he is saying this now. Comes across as pandering.
Perhaps because the threat to RvW was not as highly politicized and publicized?

It's nearly impossible to criminalize having an abortion. As in, a woman could go somewhere else, another state, another country, a ship in international waters, and have one, and it would not be a criminal act. If you disagree, what would be the legal basis for the charge?

The most they can do is criminalize doing the procedure. And if it comes down to the states, many have already said they'd keep the procedure legal. I dont know what they could do at the federal level to prevent doing the procedure nationwide, that would be an interesting discussion.
I think similar laws would be created to those we have today against things like traveling to certain countries for the purpose of commiting a criminal act.

I think similar laws would be created to those we have today against things like traveling to certain countries for the purpose of commiting a criminal act.
PLease explain in more detail? Would every woman that left the state or country need a pregnancy test before leaving? And then upon return? Women do not need to visit Drs to confirm pregnancies anymore, the over the counter ones are very accurate. Would every miscarriage be investigated?

Central to this issue and these questions are the rights that would need to be violated recognized in the answers.

I think Joe is full of :poop:. Why else would one think he was never elected POTUS? Can I have a second from the crowd?

Roe v. Wade already is the law of the land... but I realize the anti-Trump control freaks and Bozo Biden (who is pretending to lick their boots) as to make it appear that Roe v. Wade is in danger of being overturned and in grave danger is doing so ONLY because it's a vapid, silly election talking point.
They're lying... Conservative nom justice Barrett bad, soooo-so bad. :laughs:

PLease explain in more detail? Would every woman that left the state or country need a pregnancy test before leaving? And then upon return? Women do not need to visit Drs to confirm pregnancies anymore, the over the counter ones are very accurate. Would every miscarriage be investigated?

Central to this issue and these questions are the rights that would need to be violated recognized in the answers.
I was speaking strictly international travel. If the patchwork of laws in the states remain, then it would be much more difficult to enforce, but that just leads me to the conclusion they would be made examples of when they were caught, as a deterrent.

I was speaking strictly international travel. If the patchwork of laws in the states remain, then it would be much more difficult to enforce, but that just leads me to the conclusion they would be made examples of when they were caught, as a deterrent.

How would they get caught?

Even those who go overseas - how would anyone know why they went? They simply have to say they are going on vacation.

How would they get caught?

Even those who go overseas - how would anyone know why they went? They simply have to say they are going on vacation.
How does anyone get caught? Behaviour and a big mouth most of the time. I'm sure they could figure it out if they wanted to.

This is a pet peeve of mine.

Roe v. Wade has already been overturned.

The standing precedent for abortion rights is Planned Parenthood v. Casey.

/rant

Biden is a senile old fart.

Its already the law of the land. Women have a right to their bodies and the government has no constitutional authority to violate that.

As you already know, I 100% support a woman’s choice. I’m just not sure how abortions can be performed legally anywhere in America if SCOTUS overrules Roe.

The specific point I’m confused/uncertain about is that since SCOTUS is the final arbiter of all Constitutional disputes, and understanding that all laws are founded on the Constitution, how can any state legally allow abortions when/if SCOTUS reverses Roe?

What am I missing?

As you already know, I 100% support a woman’s choice. I’m just not sure how abortions can be performed legally anywhere in America if SCOTUS overrules Roe.

The specific point I’m confused/uncertain about is that since SCOTUS is the final arbiter of all Constitutional disputes, and understanding that all laws are founded on the Constitution, how can any state legally allow abortions when/if SCOTUS reverses Roe?

What am I missing?
If RvW were overturned, it wouldn't criminalize all abortions, it would just be allowed for individual states to do so.

Simply put U.S. law ends at the border.

If an American travels to another country for the specific purpose of undergoing any procedure disallowed in the United States, only that country’s laws apply.

What am I missing?

The above post is correct. The most significant effect of Roe v. Wade was to preempt state law.

Without it, it goes to the states.

Simply put U.S. law ends at the border.

If an American travels to another country for the specific purpose of undergoing any procedure disallowed in the United States, only that country’s laws apply.
In that country. Traveling across US borders for the purpose of committing what is a crime in the US in another country can itself be a crime.

Only in very specific circumstances, usually related to sex trafficking.
Right. And I'm saying those would be the framework of anti-abortion laws, in stopping Americans from traveling abroad for that purpose. It will undoubtedly involve a lot of personal and invasive questioning of any apparently pregnant women, devices inspected for evidence of communications that show the purpose of the travel, and could lead to women being asked to take a pregnancy test before traveling. All things that could happen because we let a lot of our civil liberties lapse during the failed war on drugs and ongoing GWOT.

Back
Top Bottom