• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Joe is closer to Bush than Joe is closer to Bernie?

• Joe is closer to Bush than Joe is closer to Bernie

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Joe is closer to Bernie than Joe is closer to Bush

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Do you believe this? I do?

Joe is closer to Obama than anybody. Sucked his ween0r for 8 years.

s080_020.gif

s100_000.gif

s020_080.gif

Care to guess which is which?

I think Biden is personally closer to G.W. Bush than Sanders. But that the Democratic congress, especially if they regain the senate will push Sanders extreme far left agenda. That Biden doesn't have the guts to stand up to a Democratic congress and say no.

Hence, I will vote for old Joe, but I will also vote Republican in the two Georgia senate races. The only way to have a check on the Democratic House, to keep them more mainstream than way out there on the extreme fringes is to have the senate remain in Republican control. On the other hand, I want the Democrats to retain the House, so I'm voting for David Scott, my current Democratic congressman just in case Trump wins.

My idea situation for 2021 would be Biden as president, the GOP in control of the senate and the Democrats in control of the House. With that, we have checks and balance. If one party controls all, checks and balance goes out the window as I'm positive since the Democrats were the first users of the nuclear option, they'll do away completely with minority party rights in the senate. Ironic isn't it. The party that pushes minority rights, at least rhetorically, were the ones who do away with minority party rights in the senate.

yep, Biden is a middle of the roader who would be a right winger in Europe. He can't even get behind concepts that were old news there in the 60s. However, he isn't Tweety, and that's going to have to be enough.

Who cares? All that matters right now is throwing Trump out on his ass.

I think Biden is personally closer to G.W. Bush than Sanders. But that the Democratic congress, especially if they regain the senate will push Sanders extreme far left agenda. That Biden doesn't have the guts to stand up to a Democratic congress and say no.

Hence, I will vote for old Joe, but I will also vote Republican in the two Georgia senate races. The only way to have a check on the Democratic House, to keep them more mainstream than way out there on the extreme fringes is to have the senate remain in Republican control. On the other hand, I want the Democrats to retain the House, so I'm voting for David Scott, my current Democratic congressman just in case Trump wins.

My idea situation for 2021 would be Biden as president, the GOP in control of the senate and the Democrats in control of the House. With that, we have checks and balance. If one party controls all, checks and balance goes out the window as I'm positive since the Democrats were the first users of the nuclear option, they'll do away completely with minority party rights in the senate. Ironic isn't it. The party that pushes minority rights, at least rhetorically, were the ones who do away with minority party rights in the senate.
I respect that conclusion. However, there are many democrats that will not be willing to see 2010 happen again. Despite the rhetoric, I believe Democrats will be more moderate than Bernie liberal.

That said, regulations, Healthcare, gun regulations, taxes on the rich, and giving a rats a** about the environment are not likely to be described as moderate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think Biden is personally closer to G.W. Bush than Sanders. But that the Democratic Congress, especially if they regain the Senate will push Sanders extreme far left agenda. That Biden doesn't have the guts to stand up to a Democratic Congress and say no.

My ideal situation for 2021 would be Biden as president, the GOP in control of the Senate and the Democrats in control of the House. With that, we have checks and balance. If one party controls all, checks and balance goes out the window as I'm positive since the Democrats were the first users of the nuclear option, they'll do away completely with minority party rights in the senate. Ironic isn't it. The party that pushes minority rights, at least rhetorically, were the ones who do away with minority party rights in the senate.

It is fine if you want to think that way, but a divided Congress is ineffective for tackling partisan issues. Often a bill is passed by the full House of Representatives or Senate, then fails on the other side. It is much easier to repair the damage if both sides of Congress are blue. I will vote straight Democratic.

Last edited:
It is fine if you want to think that way, but a divided Congress is ineffective for tackling partisan issues. Often a bill is passed by the full House of Representatives or Senate, then fails on the other side. It is much easier to repair the damage if both sides of Congress are blue. I will vote straight Democratic.

It's only ineffective if both side refuse to compromise and play the game of give and take. How anyone votes is an individual decision and each individual have their personal reasons which I think should be respected. Reagan got a lot accomplished with 8 years of the Democrats in control of the house. Tip O'Neal and Ronnie working together, compromising are stuff of legends. Bill Clinton also got a lot accomplished with the GOP in control of congress his last six years. So compromise and playing the game of give and take can work if both sides are willing.

The problem today is neither side are willing. Each side would rather get nothing if it means even giving the other side 10%. They hate each other.

It's only ineffective if both side refuse to compromise and play the game of give and take. How anyone votes is an individual decision and each individual have their personal reasons which I think should be respected. Reagan got a lot accomplished with 8 years of the Democrats in control of the house. Tip O'Neal and Ronnie working together, compromising are stuff of legends. Bill Clinton also got a lot accomplished with the GOP in control of congress his last six years. So compromise and playing the game of give and take can work if both sides are willing.

The problem today is neither side are willing. Each side would rather get nothing if it means even giving the other side 10%. They hate each other.

exactly

this hyper partisan crap started with Gingrich and has only gotten worse since

you simply can't run a government like this

Since Joe is proposing to spend $2 trillion to fight climate change, I doubt it.

Since Joe is proposing to spend $2 trillion to fight climate change, I doubt it.

Do you have a source for that?

Bernie Sanders wants to do more than Joe Biden for climate change.

Probably, but there have been a number of policies Biden has adopted in order to build a coalition with Warren and Sanders (and therefore their voters), and it's possible that the $2 trillion was one of those policies.

Biden Announces $2 Trillion Climate Plan - The New York Times

On the joint policy between Biden and Sanders...

"The goals of the task force were to move the Biden campaign into as progressive a direction as possible, and I think we did that," Sanders told NPR. "On issue after issue, whether it was education, the economy, health care, climate, immigration, criminal justice, I think there was significant movement on the part of the Biden campaign."

The document recommends that Biden commit to eliminating carbon pollution from power plants by 2035 and to zeroing out net greenhouse gas emissions across the entire economy by 2050. The task forces call for funding universal prekindergarten across the country, expanding Social Security, raising the national minimum wage and eliminating cash bail, among many other long-sought progressive stances.

Biden And Sanders Release Their Joint Policy Recommendations : NPR

You can see the full joint policy here:

https://apps.npr.org/documents/document.html?id=6983111-UNITY-TASK-FORCE-RECOMMENDATIONS

My idea situation for 2021 would be Biden as president, the GOP in control of the senate and the Democrats in control of the House. With that, we have checks and balance.

Leaving the GOP with any power to deliberately sabotage the economy again to hamstring a Dem president just guarantees another painful decade. How many times do we have to keep making the same mistake?

Leaving the GOP with any power to deliberately sabotage the economy again to hamstring a Dem president just guarantees another painful decade. How many times do we have to keep making the same mistake?

It's not a mistake to have some checks and balance to our political system. I wouldn't be worried as much if the Democrats, in particular ex-senate democratic majority leader Harry Reid hadn't been the first to utilize the nuclear option stripping away minority party rights. I can guarantee if the Democrats regain the senate, along with the presidency and the keep the house, they'll end the filibuster altogether thus stripping away any minority party rights that are left in the senate.

Then we have basically a dictatorship, not as in an individual, but with a political party who can do anything it wants with no checks and balances. Nothing to stop them or make them moderate some. Isn't it one of the most ironic things that happened is supposedly the party who pushes, who believes in the rights of the minorities were the ones to strip away those rights in the senate.

Besides compromise is always available. If senate leaders like Daschle and Lott, Mitchell and Dole, Byrd and Baker can play that game, why not Schumer and McConnell. If Tip O'Neal can work with Reagan to get things done, if the Republican congress can work with Bill Clinton to give him a very productive last six years, why not now?

I'll tell you why, it's this modern political era of polarization and mega, ultra partisanship. Where the good of the political party has replaced the good for the nation. Where it's loyalty to political party and not the country. We're creating our own doom unless both major parties can come down off their very partisan high horses where it's much more important to stop the other party from getting anything than advancing the country forward.

The game of give and take have worked real well in the past, it can again. But only if both major parties are willing to give it a try.

Last edited:
Then we have basically a dictatorship, not as in an individual, but with a political party who can do anything it wants with no checks and balances. Nothing to stop them or make them moderate some. Isn't it one of the most ironic things that happened is supposedly the party who pushes, who believes in the rights of the minorities were the ones to strip away those rights in the senate.

The filibuster, the true ally of the minority! Well, unless we're talking about actual minorities who needed their civil rights protected by their government. Because the filibuster's most famous use, historically, has been as a weapon against those minorities.

Besides compromise is always available. If senate leaders like Daschle and Lott, Mitchell and Dole, Byrd and Baker can play that game, why not Schumer and McConnell. If Tip O'Neal can work with Reagan to get things done, if the Republican congress can work with Bill Clinton to give him a very productive last six years, why not now?

Rightwing politicians can't compromise, their wingnuts bases wouldn't allow for it. We have an asymmetrical problem in this country and pretending modern GOP leaders are equipped to govern is how you end up teetering on the brink of becoming a failed state.

emitg7bxzkgzoxh0sdz2dg.png

How would we know who Biden is closer to? It depends on who is making decisions for him that day.

Biden described himself as a transitional candidate. Which begs the question, "transition to what?"

He'd be a right winger on the European scale. On ours, he's center left.

You go to be really bat **** crazy far left to consider Biden closer to Bush than to Sanders. Biden is not ****ing moderate. Moderates don't support Obama care, ban on semiautomatic firearms under the guise of assault weapon bans, bans on 10 to 30 round standard capacity magazines under the guise of high capacity magazine bans and other **** left wingers support. I also doubt Bush would support anything in the Green New Deal or any other climate change nonsense Biden embraces.

I had to think for a while on that one. I finally thought of it as Harris is closer to Bernie than to Bush. Biden picked Harris for his VP, tipping the Biden scales toward Bernie.

But Sanders didn't win the primary, so he can work on that as a senator.

Back
Top Bottom