• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Joe Biden got it right on Iraq: To Bush/Cheney ..."told you so"

thinkforyoursel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Well Obama for one was against the ill-gotten Iraq war, now we can recall what Biden said after the war started. We can recall how he was ignored by Bush and Cheney ...because you know they have so much war experience to draw from. :roll:

In 2006, Biden was a senator from Delaware gearing up for a presidential campaign when he proposed that Iraq be divided into three semi-independent regions for Shiites, Sunnis and Kurds. Follow his plan, he said, and U.S. troops could be out by early 2008. Ignore it, he warned, and Iraq would devolve into sectarian conflict that could destabilize the whole region.

The Bush administration chose to ignore Biden. Now, eight years later, the vice president's doom-and-gloom prediction seems more than a little prescient.

link :mrgreen:

2/3 of America, and the rest of the world have signed off on the Iraq war as a farce, and have condemned Bush, Cheney and Blair as war criminals.

Even Bush and Cheney agrees, often when confronted listen to their comments, listen and understand that what they give are really excuses why they got it wrong. When you hear the phrase ..."we just had 911"....or ..."no one at the time knew..." that is how you recognize that all they have are excuses!

There are people that think it was a war crime. They aren't right, of course, but it is usually simplistically consistent with their personal interests and quite uninformed, where they are not lying.

There are people that think it was a war crime. They aren't right, of course, but it is usually simplistically consistent with their personal interests and quite uninformed, where they are not lying.

What exactly needs to happen for something to be a legitimate war crime? Lying to the public and wasting insane amounts of money/human lives for corporate interests isn't enough?

What exactly needs to happen for something to be a legitimate war crime? Lying to the public and wasting insane amounts of money/human lives for corporate interests isn't enough?

That sounds like the current US immigration policy. ;)

We won't get peace by dividing and redrawing nations. They'll have to do that for themselves. It's the same with Africa. We (the west, not America specifically) drew it up into whatever shapes we wanted and crammed tribes who didn't like each other and didn't want to live with each other into the same nation. And then we did the same thing in the Middle East. It doesn't work. The people there need to draw their own borders and form their own nations. The ones we make for them will never last.

Biden voted in favor of invading Iraq. No "i told you so" for him.

Good question. But if you haven't looked into it yet, as you seemingly haven't, you cannot be very interested.

Good question. But if you haven't looked into it yet, as you seemingly haven't, you cannot be very interested.

I like the way you tried to not answer my question.

I like the way you tried to not answer my question.

Oh. I thought that was the answer that particular rhetorical device warranted.

Oh. I thought that was the answer that particular rhetorical device warranted.

You said it wasn't a war crime. Why is it not a war crime, and what would it take for it to be one?

This defense is like a murderer telling the jury that ..."this guy was also in the car with me"...when I committed the murder. Also, I may add, notice neither Biden or Clinton are president today....gee I wonder why?

These ..."duck-and-dive"...arguments being made by the right-wing is fooling no one.
Everybody clearly understand that if just about every congressman who voted for the war were themselves president .....we would not be in Iraq. I would give a 100% count on the democratic side ....and maybe 90% on the republican side. We got in Iraq because we had a regime who were deliberately focused on getting in Iraq...and took steps to fabricate reasons why we need to go into Iraq.
No one alive today will live long enough to see a greater American blunder than the republican led Iraq war!

You said it wasn't a war crime. Why is it not a war crime, and what would it take for it to be one?

I don't see, what the war crime was. Don't be silly.

Well Obama for one was against the ill-gotten Iraq war, now we can recall what Biden said after the war started. We can recall how he was ignored by Bush and Cheney ...because you know they have so much war experience to draw from. :roll:

In 2006, Biden was a senator from Delaware gearing up for a presidential campaign when he proposed that Iraq be divided into three semi-independent regions for Shiites, Sunnis and Kurds. Follow his plan, he said, and U.S. troops could be out by early 2008. Ignore it, he warned, and Iraq would devolve into sectarian conflict that could destabilize the whole region.

The Bush administration chose to ignore Biden. Now, eight years later, the vice president's doom-and-gloom prediction seems more than a little prescient.

2/3 of America, and the rest of the world have signed off on the Iraq war as a farce, and have condemned Bush, Cheney and Blair as war criminals.

Even Bush and Cheney agrees, often when confronted listen to their comments, listen and understand that what they give are really excuses why they got it wrong. When you hear the phrase ..."we just had 911"....or ..."no one at the time knew..." that is how you recognize that all they have are excuses!

When, during the conflict between the Sunnis and Shiites, have the two sides ever given a damn about a border? Biden only showed how utterly stupid and uninformed he is about the whole region and the nature of the conflict. Hell, Bush was stupid to listen to Rumsfeld, but he was a million times smarter and better informed than Obama's little bitch Biden.

2/3 of America and the rest of the world can kiss my ass and suck the barrel of my rifle. I didn't agree with water boarding prisoners, but you seem to be suggesting even going to war was criminal. If you are, the you are a supporter of terrorism, torture, rape and murder. Not going to war and ending even though he knew it was going would make Clinton guilty of crimes against humanity.

Outsiders dividing up a region hasn't worked so well and doesn't end conflicts-examples: India-Pakistan, Israel-Palestine, Greece-Turkey.

No one alive today will live long enough to see a greater American blunder than the republican led Iraq war!

I hope you're right, but that seems awfully optimistic. Our ability to blunder has few limits.

When, during the conflict between the Sunnis and Shiites, have the two sides ever given a damn about a border? Biden only showed how utterly stupid and uninformed he is about the whole region and the nature of the conflict. Hell, Bush was stupid to listen to Rumsfeld, but he was a million times smarter and better informed than Obama's little bitch Biden.

2/3 of America and the rest of the world can kiss my ass and suck the barrel of my rifle. I didn't agree with water boarding prisoners, but you seem to be suggesting even going to war was criminal. If you are, the you are a supporter of terrorism, torture, rape and murder. Not going to war and ending even though he knew it was going would make Clinton guilty of crimes against humanity.

Spoken like a true .."country hick"...yeah ...tough-guy...you're one of a kind behind a keyboard! :mrgreen:

2/3 of the country ...and the rest of the world have signed off on the blatant farce behind the Iraq war. Of course we know red-nicks don't even know or care if they are wrong.....that's why....Obama is in the WH today bud!

Like you said ..."bush was stupid"....so now we have a smart president!

Spoken like a true .."country hick"...yeah ...tough-guy...you're one of a kind behind a keyboard! :mrgreen:

2/3 of the country ...and the rest of the world have signed off on the blatant farce behind the Iraq war. Of course we know red-nicks don't even know or care if they are wrong.....that's why....Obama is in the WH today bud!

So you are saying the war was the "war crime"?

If you think Obama is smart, do you have an IQ of 10 or something?

This defense is like a murderer telling the jury that ..."this guy was also in the car with me"...when I committed the murder. Also, I may add, notice neither Biden or Clinton are president today....gee I wonder why?

These ..."duck-and-dive"...arguments being made by the right-wing is fooling no one.
Everybody clearly understand that if just about every congressman who voted for the war were themselves president .....we would not be in Iraq. I would give a 100% count on the democratic side ....and maybe 90% on the republican side. We got in Iraq because we had a regime who were deliberately focused on getting in Iraq...and took steps to fabricate reasons why we need to go into Iraq.

You mean, no Liberal with tunnel vision alive today.

And without the Democrats support, there would have not been a Iraq War.

HAHAHHA !

Smart ? Based on what ? The sustained economic malaise after 6 Trillion in new debt ?

The multiple Scandals that have plagued this administration ?

Yes, he did, and so did a lot of that 2/3 mentioned in the OP as well.

They were wrong, of course. I was against the invasion from the start. Now, I get to say I told you so.

I told you so....

somehow, that just isn't very satisfying.

They were wrong, of course. I was against the invasion from the start. Now, I get to say I told you so.

I told you so....

But Biden still as a senator from Delaware came up with a solution that if it was followed would do away with nation building. That was to divide Iraq up into three parts. A country for the sunni, one for the shia and one for the kurds. He was laughed at and scorned for that suggestion by a lot of members from both parties.

We may just end up with three different countries in Iraq in the near future. Just think if his suggestion was taken serious at the time, maybe even adopted, what is going on today probably would have never happened and all the deaths and maiming during nation building could have been avoided. I wouldn't come down too hard on him, going to war is way too easy when patriotic fever grips the nation. This is why congress should have to declare war and put the whole U.S. on a war footing like in WWII. Since the end of WWII, we have fought our wars so we wouldn't cause any of the civilians back in the U.S. any inconvenience. We have tried to make life as normal for them as if there was no war whatsoever going on.

No going to war anymore on a resolution, after all a resolution even if passed by congress is nothing more than an opinion of congress. I want future war to be declared.

I told you so....

The "duck-&-dive"...argument being used that democrats voted for the war is flawed on 2 fronts:

1) Democrats trusted Bush who had the entire country behind him after 911. Bush lied and fabricated arguments to get us into Iraq.
2) Remove Bush and Cheney ....and put any member of congress in their place ....and the US would not have invaded Iraq.

Their ignorance of not seeing the incredible damage this war did, coupled with their refusal to take responsibility ....is why Obama is president today!

Nobody alive today will live long enough to see a greater blunder than the US led invasion of Iraq!

Yes, Obama is president today. A man who stood against the war from day one. But he's chosen people like Biden, Clinton, and Kerry, who all supported the invasion, to hold high positions in his administration. I don't care what kind of right wing strategies are being employed. I'm not a right winger and I don't support the war. Unlike you, I am also not a partisan, and I don't have Bush Derangement Syndrome, so I don't give a pass to anyone for supporting the invasion, regardless of party.

The "duck-&-dive"...argument being used that democrats voted for the war is flawed on 2 fronts:

1) Democrats trusted Bush who had the entire country behind him after 911. Bush lied and fabricated arguments to get us into Iraq.
2) Remove Bush and Cheney ....and put any member of congress in their place ....and the US would not have invaded Iraq.

Their ignorance of not seeing the incredible damage this war did, coupled with their refusal to take responsibility ....is why Obama is president today!

Nobody alive today will live long enough to see a greater blunder than the US led invasion of Iraq!

Wrong, we have already seen 6 years of Obama, which is an even greater blunder.

The economic collapse is why Obama won, not the war. Of course, intelligent people know that.

It is amazing how many stupid people think they know something about the Iraq war but don't actually know a tenth of a percentage point of what was involved (unless you had access to it, you couldn't). Also, the invasion wasn't the **** up, it was how it was handled after and Obama abandoning what had been gained.

Go ahead, call us war criminals all you want. But let me tell you, blowing away ragheads is almost as much fun as I imagine blowing away Obama loving scum would be.

Back
Top Bottom