• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Joe Biden’s brother says family members voted for Trump, ‘felt slighted’ by Clinton: report

trixare4kids

Trix has reentered the building.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Joe Biden’s brother says family members voted for Trump, ‘felt slighted’ by Clinton: report

Though I didn't vote for Trump, but as a former lifelong Democrat, I can totally empathize as to how Biden's family members felt about Hillary Clinton and her "assumptive politics." The woman felt entitled to win because it was "her turn." Sorry, but that's not what my generation of women fought for. We fought for equal opportunity, not entitlement.

Frank Biden, younger sibling of former Vice President Joe Biden, reportedly said that some members of the family “felt slighted” by 2016 Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and instead decided to cast their ballots for Donald Trump.

The former U.S. leader’s brother took aim at the Clinton team’s campaign strategy during an interview with The Palm Beach Post. Frank told the outlet, in the report posted Monday that he believed if his brother had run at the time, he would’ve secured states that Clinton lost.

“We never would have lost Pennsylvania, and all my relatives — the Finnegan family — who voted for Donald Trump because they felt slighted by Hillary and her campaign,” Biden said. “We never would have not gone to Michigan as the campaign decided not to do because they felt entitled to the votes of those people.

Though I didn't vote for Trump, but as a former lifelong Democrat, I can totally empathize as to how Biden's family members felt about Hillary Clinton and her "assumptive politics." The woman felt entitled to win because it was "her turn." Sorry, but that's not what my generation of women fought for. We fought for equal opportunity, not entitlement.
Great post, Trix.

Biden was my guy in 2016, and I have little doubt he would have beaten Trump. Why? Because Uncle Joe has a healthy dose of that "everyman", "blue-collar", "working man" ethos, that would have competed well with Trump in that demographic space.

Trump won the highly blue-collar states of PA, MI, WI, by only the barest of margins (as can be seen by the states flipping back Dem in 2018). I have little doubt Biden would have won enough of those voters in those states, to put them in his column, thereby denying Trump the Presidency.

Hillary, on the other hand, was anathema to those voters. I personally couldn't stand her.

What I like about Biden, besides his folksy nature and working-man appeal, is he comes-off as a moderate Dem. Not quite, but similar to the old JFK Dems. If we had more of those moderate JFK Dems around today, and their old-school moderate "Rockefeller Republicans" counterpart, we'd once again be legislating from the middle, which has always been the way to move the country forward.

If you want government to vacillate & yo-yo to no effect, have Presidents that cater to the fringes with Executive Orders. If you want to move the country forward as a whole, legislate from the middle.

What I like about Biden, besides his folksy nature and working-man appeal, is he comes-off as a moderate Dem. Not quite, but similar to the old JFK Dems. If we had more of those moderate JFK Dems around today, and their old-school moderate "Rockefeller Republicans" counterpart, we'd once again be legislating from the middle, which has always been the way to move the country forward.

If you want government to vacillate & yo-yo to no effect, have Presidents that cater to the minorities with Executive Orders. If you want to move the country forward as a whole, legislate from the middle.

Bit of an aside, but I have to admit, this is legitimately curious coming from someone who presumably supports MFA (so far as I've gathered) which is considered a 'far left' idea in the States, and actively despised by the so-called 'centre/moderates', despite SP being staple, settled and successful policy in the rest of the developed world.

Bit of an aside, but I have to admit, this is legitimately curious coming from someone who presumably supports MFA (so far as I've gathered) which is considered a 'far left' idea in the States, and actively despised by the so-called 'centre/moderates', despite SP being staple, settled and successful policy in the rest of the developed world.
MFA? What's that?

(I assume SP = Single-Payer)

You're correct. By MFA I meant Medicare for All.
Ah, well I guess I might have a bit of an incongruity there. I call 'em like I see 'em, though. And I see national health-care as perfectly normal & rational mainstream idea. My Canadian relatives had it for as long as I can remember. But for some reason, conservative Americans just seem to have problems with it.

But as to the concept of "legislate from the middle", yeah I do really believe that. That's how we move forward as a country, even if my personal desires occasionally bounce around the center-point.

Ah, well I guess I might have a bit of an incongruity there.

Less incongruity than you might think... Medicare for all is NOT the "far" left idea anymore:

Single-payer bills in both houses of Congress accrued record support in 2017, including a majority of House Democrats and more than a third of Democratic senators.

I do not want federal control over medicine simply because i do not want them to take away my pain-killers like the VA did.
Never asked, just did it because they could. Left me high and dray and in constant pain.

A member here turned me onto Kratom and it was a life-saver.
Now I hear rumors Kratom is in their sights to be made a Schedule 1 narcotic.
Yet it kills my pain with only 4 grams and also lowers my blood pressure.
It was 160/106 now it have been consistently 120/88....and no pain either.
Plus my energy levels have come up.

NO..keep the feds hands off my Kratom.

I find this story hard to believe. Joe had to know Trump was a Russian spy. He must of told his family that they could not vote for Trump under any circumstances.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ah, well I guess I might have a bit of an incongruity there. I call 'em like I see 'em, though. And I see national health-care as perfectly normal & rational mainstream idea. My Canadian relatives had it for as long as I can remember. But for some reason, conservative Americans just seem to have problems with it.

But as to the concept of "legislate from the middle", yeah I do really believe that. That's how we move forward as a country, even if my personal desires occasionally bounce around the center-point.

So called 'Moderate Democrats' also generally oppose it as a rule. Clinton said it would 'never happen', Pelosi doesn't support it and so on.

In general the problem with the so-called 'American centre' it is that it is actually firmly conservative vis a vis the rest of the developed world: the United States features a political Overton window that is as a rule skewed significantly to the right: Obama and Clinton in any other rich, democratic country would be considered right wing at the least, yet here, they're widely thought of as being 'left of centre'. Moreover, Medicare for All/SP is far from the only tested and true idea that is considered mundane and not particularly left in most wealthy countries, but is widely thought to be some kind of radical left notion here, at least among the political class.

Yeah, that's quickly shifting, mainly because of political necessity (as it has somewhere in the vicinity of 70% general and solid majoritarian Republican support) and because politicos routinely branded 'far left' pushed it so hard. Bernie more or less singlehandedly was the genesis of this dramatic sea change in the Overton window on the subject. Unfortunately, and ultimately, many 'moderate' democrats continue to oppose it; among the political class, it is still largely thought to be an 'extremist' idea despite increasing acceptance.

Back
Top Bottom